Page 1 of 30 123 ... LastLast

Orlando Brown Jr.

So here's a guy that might generate controversy on the board. Again I tried to give time stamps on things, if you want more time stamp proof I can provide them. I don't put all of them in because naturally this would be an unorganized and messy report. give me your thoughts and give it a good read.

Orlando Brown:
    Strengths:
    • He knows his assignment and is surprisingly aware, despite my initial impressions
    • At times shows good pass pro technique, will kick and maintain post foot
    • Does seem to possess good raw strength
    • Can handle bigger less athletic ends and backers
    • Can stonewall blitzers nicely due to his size
    • Fluid intelligence during a play is outstanding
    • Good vision
    • Despite what seems to be lack of athleticism he does really well at getting to LB and second level
    • He also moves well in space, again surprisingly
    • Is an ok hand fighter
    • Brought a fiery and competitive attitude against Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, and Georgia in the Rose Bowl
    • Brings his best game and attitude to the biggest stages
    Weaknesses:
    • Play height is too tall, will consistently get out leveraged (Prime example @ 12:40 4th Qtr vs Georgia, had good feet and
    position, but since he plays too high he was simply shoved out of the way)
    • With play height being too high he also will become very unathletic in his pass protection
    • The last two points may stem from a lack of leg strength
    • Far too slow to be a puller (one exception, he pulled well against OK state)
    • Very Non-traditional offense at Oklahoma, not necessarily a negative
    • Will bend at the waist far too often in order to match or gain leverage in both run and pass
    • Struggles to take on slashers who slant into gaps and attack their gap (see Texas 2017)
    • When someone is lower than him and really attacks the gap he can get blown up (see 2nd Qtr 5:31 of OK state)
    • Slow and heavy feet
    • Inconsistent hand placement (sometimes it’s right inside where it should be, other times it’s around the shoulders of the defender)
    • If a play breaks down or is extended, he’ll give up on the play
    • Upright playing style creates an imbalance in his upper body that makes him susceptible to counter and double moves in pass pro

Final Thoughts:
    Orlando Brown surprised me with his film. My impression of him at a glance was very negative: too big, too slow, too unathletic, living on his fathers’ name, played in a weird system with incredible skilled position players, played in a conference with WEAK defenses. But after watching the film I’m pleasantly surprised. He’s a good OT. He actually can pass protect just fine, and his smarts are very desirable in a player. He can get to LB good enough and he picks up the blitz well. I think he’ll be just fine at RT. His biggest problems obviously are pad level, leg strength/technique, and moving people off the line with drive blocking (man blocking to some). Given his issues I wouldn’t take him until the 2nd round. Given the lack of upper echelon talent at OT in this class he may get taken before 16 or around 16. Bottom Line: run blocking = B- , pass blocking = B+

2. Re: Orlando Brown Jr.

Doesn’t read like a “value”pick at 16 to me. Woof.

Re: Orlando Brown Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Doesn’t read like a “value”pick at 16 to me. Woof.
    No he wouldn't be a value pick there. I wouldn't talk about him until the second round, but we all know that there are teams who NEED tackle and teams will reach. I see the Bengals constantly being mocked a tackle. I'm fine with that because I don't like them. I don't think any tackle this year is worth a top 15 pick

Blog Entries

Zeus jr. would be a great fit for this offense. Does 16 seem high? Yes, but he’d start are should be productive from day 1. Harbaugh wants a punishing run game. Brown would easily make that happen.

Blog Entries

Anything to bolster the Oline I’m ok with.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Zeus jr. would be a great fit for this offense. Does 16 seem high? Yes, but he’d start are should be productive from day 1. Harbaugh wants a punishing run game. Brown would easily make that happen.
    I like Zeus jr but given the choice I’d take Ragnow in a later round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Well it's like I mentioned in my report, I'd like a punishing run game too, but if Brown doesn't fix his pad level and leg strength he won't help us accomplish that. With his current playing style I don't really see him as an asset in the run game

Blog Entries

Excellent thread mate, keep them coming, enjoying them all.

I get the appeal but if it’s at the expense of a playmaker I don’t like it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens20002012 View Post
    I get the appeal but if it’s at the expense of a playmaker I don’t like it
    You could cut Austin Howard that would go a long way to signing a play maker, or you keep Howard as a half decent RT killing any need at OT in order to try and draft a play maker. The Ravens have had much more success signing play makers over drafting them.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You could cut Austin Howard that would go a long way to signing a play maker, or you keep Howard as a half decent RT killing any need at OT in order to try and draft a play maker. The Ravens have had much more success signing play makers over drafting them.
    We don't sign playmakers one we never have the capspace two teams don't allow playmakers to hit FA.

I like Brown but with our limited resources and need at skill positions drafting an OT is stupid. He won't be BPA either. If he falls to the 2nd or 3rd sure go for it and he may if teams feel he is an RT only prospect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    We don't sign playmakers one we never have the capspace two teams don't allow playmakers to hit FA.

I like Brown but with our limited resources and need at skill positions drafting an OT is stupid. He won't be BPA either. If he falls to the 2nd or 3rd sure go for it and he may if teams feel he is an RT only prospect.
    Lol, really? I will say that we have rarely signed any elite play makers, but we did trade for Boldin who was a vital piece to the SB... Derrick Mason, Shanon Sharpe, Steve Smith sr, etc... when have we ever drafted anyone who was as good as any of those guys apart from at running back and Todd Heap?