Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Gillmore moving to OL

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    His agent will be fired anyway since it sounds like he’s done at TE. Sounds to me like a desperation move to keep Gilmore on a roster somewhere.
    Agreed. IMO he'll be out of football very soon.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I actually think Gilmore can be a heck of an OT. He has very average athleticism for a TE, but he would immediately be one of the most athletic OL in the league.

Just incredibly shitty timing to do this on the even of your UFA time.
    I can see the theory in that at least. If he maintains his athleticism at 300+ that he has at 270 than one would think hed have to be more athletic. Problem is most of those 300lbs lose 30-40lbs theyd be more athletic than Gilmore now in a lot of cases. As I looked into this, many are already. Im not sure that size/athleticism ratio is even linear in most cases. coming off MCL, Back and shoulder injuries now he could be severely lacking the athleticism we last saw him at as it is.

FWIW gilmore ran 4.89 at 260lbs at the combine. 7.42 in the 3 cone. You start looking at some of the more athletic OL at 300+ theyve run faster (4.71 being the fastest) and been quicker (7.06 fastest). So I dont think hes going to gain a lot of weight and automatically be one of the more athletic OL. in reality, if he maintains what he is now, hes still not going to be. I wouldnt have expected that before looking into it, but that lack of athleticism he has at TE is too such a degree that hed be pretty average at OL if he doesnt drop off at all.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ore?id=2543794

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...SH&position=OL

3 cone
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perfo...LL&position=OL
    Last edited by JAB1985; 02-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    We can use more lineman. More lineman that:

A) Are not projects at best and have actually played o-line recently

and

B) Can (hopefully) stay on the field and out of the trainers room/IR
    This project could have been the coaching staffs idea to begin with though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Hurst is going to transition to TE. Gilmore to guard
    LOL b4p, can Correa also get into the O-line mix somehow? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    This project could have been the coaching staffs idea to begin with though.
    I doubt it. Not with him being a pending FA. My guess is they're just saying some nice things for the article as they shoo him out the door.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not sure that size/athleticism ratio is even linear in most cases. coming off MCL, Back and shoulder injuries now he could be severely lacking the athleticism we last saw him at as it is.

FWIW gilmore ran 4.89 at 260lbs at the combine. 7.42 in the 3 cone. You start looking at some of the more athletic OL at 300+ theyve run faster (4.71 being the fastest) and been quicker (7.06 fastest). So I dont think hes going to gain a lot of weight and automatically be one of the more athletic OL. in reality, if he maintains what he is now, hes still not going to be. I wouldnt have expected that before looking into it, but that lack of athleticism he has at TE is too such a degree that hed be pretty average at OL if he doesnt drop off at all.
    Ouch. Wow. I think this is probably the most telling information. At first I thought maybe there was some possible merit in him moving to guard or something, but after reading your post, I'm joining the "act of desperation" school of thought.

I wish him the best with it. Really enjoyed him being a Raven. He could have been a really, really good one.

Maybe he still will, but... hard to see it.

Blog Entries

Read on Twitter that Gillmore was now around 305lbs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I always liked him but he's another one of those injury prone guys we seem to pick. In the last 3 seasons, he only played in 17 of our 48 regular season games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Read on Twitter that Gillmore was now around 305lbs.
    While he was putting on the lbs to play O-line, my sister-in-law actually lost some, so she and Gillmore are now the same size. Fancy that... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    While he was putting on the lbs to play O-line, my sister-in-law actually lost some, so she and Gillmore are now the same size. Fancy that... Bc
    dude I have been laughing at this for a solid 10 mintues now Bc LOL

This move just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense other than he ended up way out of shape within the last calendar year.

Think about it. The guy was in great shape 2 years ago, he had a nice 5-6 game stretch stat wise. Last year he tells all the TE'S to get ready to ride the bench because he was back and we all saw how well that worked out.

Why would an injury prone guy decide to carry 30+ extra pounds and take a beating on every snap? Just doesn't seem like a great idea to me but that is just my opinion?

Just seems strange to me

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    "Test free agency" is different from letting him walk. Or I should say, might be different. Remember some years ago, they "let Ray Lewis test free agency"? Ray wasn't gone then; his idea of what he could command on the open market was a little inflated.
    This is page 1 from the Ozzie Newsome "Right Player/Right Price" playbook. He always does this. Give the player an idea what the Ravens would be willing to pay. If someone offers them significantly higher, then let them walk to another team to overpay. If it's close, come back and talk to us and maybe we can work it out for you to stay here.

It's the sensible way to do it. Otherwise you are bidding against yourself.
    "Chin up, chest out."