Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Let’s Craig Mack Weddle and Jefferson!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not as willing to just cut Weddle as some of you guys are.

For one, he's been a huge proponent of recruiting FA's to come to Baltimore. That does make a difference.

Second, while he isn't the physical player he once was in terms of tackling, the guy had 6 picks last year, one he returned for a TD. He's had 10 INT's since coming to Baltimore 2 years ago.

Food for thought, but the last time anyone on the Ravens had more than 4 INT's in any given season was way back in 2011 (Webb, who had 5). In fact, Weddle's 6 picks this year marks the most picks of any one Raven since 2010 when Ed Reed had 8.

So, yes, he missed some tackle this past year. Yes, he isn't the physical coverage guy he used to be. However, interceptions are morale boosters for us and they're morale killers for the opposition. Turnovers, IMO, matter more than tackles.
    Then he can recruit someone to replace him!

Blog Entries

I would agree with this.

This is also why I'm a big advocate for more dime/speed defensive packages on the field.

I like Canady and I think he's only going to get better.

I also think Jefferson should be used more as a hybrid LB/SS. He's a heat seeking missile. Let him be that.

Attachment 4589
    Whole heartedly agree with your thoughts on Jefferson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

This is also why I'm a big advocate for more dime/speed defensive packages on the field.

I like Canady and I think he's only going to get better.

I also think Jefferson should be used more as a hybrid LB/SS. He's a heat seeking missile. Let him be that.
    wicked, I agree with your ideas, and would add the return (hopefully @ 100%) of Tavon Young. He had a solid rookie year, and gave us a lot of hope before his injury made him lose the entire 2017 season. Canady, who has good size, looks better than a 6th round draft choice who is developing nicely. Another late round pick, Chuck Clark, looks like he's got talent too... Bc

I thought the Jefferson signing was puzzling from the beginning. I really didn't understand why he was getting that kind of money thrown at him. He's basically a slight upgrade from Anthony Levine. He's not big enough to be a punishing enforcer like Kam Chancellor or Bernard Pollard, he doesn't have the instincts that Polamalu did to fly around the field blowing up plays, and he doesn't have the speed to cover guys down field. So someone tell me what does this guy do to be worth $8 million per year besides charming people on instagram.

I'm willing to be patient and see what he can do under a new DC. He really needs to be schemed in a way that lets him keep the play in front of him and let him attack ball carriers down hill. But I think he was our most disappointing player last year and has a lot to prove. So far he's had more value recruiting FAs on social media than he does as a safety.

Weddle on the other hand is still giving us good value. Our back end was complete ass before he got here with bums like Kendrick Lewis. Weddle gave us some stability and veteran experience back there and is still making plays, even if he's declining athletically.

They both played a lot better in the 2nd half. I would like to see another season before I say get rid of them. They were both better than average last year despite having down years

Blog Entries

My feeling on Jefferson is that he was a solid 4-year Safety on the Cardinals, and all could see his strengths and weaknesses. He was signed coming in to what most would say are his most productive years (he was 26 in January), and I thought it was a good signing (although his $ could have gone towards offense). Anyhow, I'm no expert, but I don't think Pees system utilized his skills to the max. Hopefully, we will see a better version of Tony Jefferson with Wink at the defensive helm... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    My feeling on Jefferson is that he was a solid 4-year Safety on the Cardinals, and all could see his strengths and weaknesses. He was signed coming in to what most would say are his most productive years (he was 26 in January), and I thought it was a good signing (although his $ could have gone towards offense). Anyhow, I'm no expert, but I don't think Pees system utilized his skills to the max. Hopefully, we will see a better version of Tony Jefferson with Wink at the defensive helm... Bc
    Age was a big part of his deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

You don't cut either. They are both fine.

Pees was the problem. Or you better hope he was, because this team is in for a penny, in for a pound with this group of FA acquisitions and draft talent. Wink has to get something better out of them, and it shouldn't be hard.

Weddle is fine in cover 2 or even occasional center field duty. He made the stop most of the time, and also made the play (i.e. an INT or pass defense) plenty of times back in coverage. Jefferson needs to be someone who roams. He needs to be Pollard with better coverage skills. And I think he is. I think Pees was terrible.

Weddle is the one who has to go, he's done physically. No matter how you play him, he's still done physically. Jefferson at least still has the physical tools, so you may be able to get improved play out of him by scheme/assignment.

Weddle is like ed reed when he was on the jets

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    Weddle is like ed reed when he was on the jets
    Oooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeet. !!!!

I’m all for getting rid of Weddle but probably doesn’t make sense until next year unless we go safety round 1. Jefferson was great in Arizona. I’d love to see Him under a new DC.

No clue what OP was going for but I have to agree they underperformed big time but hopefully coaching turns it around because we have a ton of other holes to fill