Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Quote Originally Posted by Yards View Post
    Many neurologists will tell you that the younger age is not really the problem, they really
    aren't hitting with the velocity that they do at the middle school, high school and college levels.
    Taking football away at this age really does nothing. Having said that I have a a 10 year old who is dying to play football and we keep playing soccer.
    Friends of mine whose kids play have said the same thing. These kids aren't hitting at a hard velocity at ages 7 and 8. It's when they start to enter double digits and put mass and muscle on. IMO, demand coaches teach and enforce proper tackling. Don't just make a law and tell everyone they can't play.

2. Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Many neurologists will tell you that the younger age is not really the problem, they really
    aren't hitting with the velocity that they do at the middle school, high school and college levels.
    Taking football away at this age really does nothing. Having said that I have a a 10 year old who is dying to play football and we keep playing soccer.
    Suprisingly girls soccer has a higher rate of concussions that football. Boys soccer is close, but does not average as many.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...tball.amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    Suprisingly girls soccer has a higher rate of concussions that football. Boys soccer is close, but does not average as many.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...tball.amp.html
    I hear you every time a soccer ball knocks off his head I wonder maybe we should just play football.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Here's where I have an issue with it. Now, I have TBI. I know firsthand, what those blows to the head can do. However, for a lot of youths, football was/is a release. It's a way for them to relieve themselves of the angers and frustrations of life while they learn to cope with them. Other sports just don't provide that in the form of physicality. Are parents really going to work that much hard to help their children find other ways to work through their anger or are they going to sit them in front of a phone or computer and then wonder why years later? If you don't face some sort of physicality, you don't learn to manage the emotions it stems from properly. If you don't play in the dirt, you don't gain the antibodies from the dirt. You take the Liberal Arts away and de-emphasize them, you don't learn how to properly communicate. All of these are very real issues we deal with today. What ever happened to just teaching the kid the proper way to tackle?
    I played football... Im a huge proponent of how much it teaches kids to grow up. There's a sense of responsibility to yourself and your teamates which isnt present in other sports. If you dont show up, dont put in the work all year, you will be the weak link, and you will be the reason your team fails. Most schools/coaches also expect a certain code of conduct on and off the field as well.

However, the older I get, the more I agree with waiting until the high school age to start playing tackle football. By this point in a kids life, they will have a better idea on what "long term" side effects could be from a collision sport. I feel the kids who start in pop warner or peewee football get so ingrained that "football - identity" that they dont have a choice.

Educate your kids, let them decide
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I’m not surprised but why not teach proper tackling techniques? Rather see my sons play ball than stare at their phone.
    Youth rugby is picking significantly here in PA. One wrong tackle and you never EVER have your head out of place again. (of course you might be out cold before you learn)
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The most recent research into CTE shows that it's repeated hits, not concussions, that are the primary cause. I don't see a downside to delaying the start of those impacts, and completely avoiding them in kids who don't play football in later years. And I'm not buying the argument that kids can't be introduced to proper tackling technique at a later age.
    This is what I've read most recently as well.

This doesnt fit the latest theory
    Burn it down

Great, just what we need, the Government telling us what's best for us. JFC.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

why do we need the government in this? can't parents just make that decision on their own? dafuq is wrong with america these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    why do we need the government in this? can't parents just make that decision on their own? dafuq is wrong with america these days.
    Some people, who think they're smarter than us, want to save us from ourselves. Truth is it's us that should be saved from them and their interference in our lives... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Yup. As I posted earlier my 7 year old son is in flag football and loves it. There is also tackle for his age but the league just isn't run as well and is not as popular. My wife and I decided flag is the way to go. That's the key MY WIFE AND I DECIDED. Not the the state or the local government but we the parents deciding what was best for our child. If my neighbor decides to let his son or daughter play tackle football then that's their decision. I wouldn't stop them nor do I feel like I have the right to stop them. It's their call for what is best for their family

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yup. As I posted earlier my 7 year old son is in flag football and loves it. There is also tackle for his age but the league just isn't run as well and is not as popular. My wife and I decided flag is the way to go. That's the key MY WIFE AND I DECIDED. Not the the state or the local government but we the parents deciding what was best for our child. If my neighbor decides to let his son or daughter play tackle football then that's their decision. I wouldn't stop them nor do I feel like I have the right to stop them. It's their call for what is best for their family
    exactly I mean can't parents/parent decide these things for their kids? smh I just don't understand I'm sure MD got bigger issues than passing a bill to tell parents what sport their kid can or cannot play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Some people, who think they're smarter than us, want to save us from ourselves. Truth is it's us that should be saved from them and their interference in our lives... Bc
    smh like MD don't have bigger issues shit Baltimore just fired their police Commish last week due to the ridiculous crime rate and they passing bills to ban football for 14yr old...sigh.....