Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Re: Bobby Engram-- a failure as WR Coach?

All of this makes me feel like Bobby is impossible to evaluate from outside. You would need to inside to evaluate him other than that his players love him, and he isn't a miracle worker.

So he seems to be
    1. Not an A hole
    2. Not God's gift to WR coaching

So my guess is that he is somewhere between 5-8.5 on a 10 point scale of WR coaches, where 1 screws up good players and 10 could make Perriman look like Torrey Smith (because even Miracle workers have their limits).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The book on Waller was that he couldn't catch unless he was wide open. The book on Perriman was that he couldn't catch at all. The book on Campanaro was that he couldn't stay healthy. The book on Moore was that he was good on special teams, a good vertical threat, but with questionable hands otherwise.

Well............
    Vinny C said the part of the actual report on Perriman was that he was soft. The scouting department per Vinny C told them this about Perriman when they were scouting him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The book on Waller was that he couldn't catch unless he was wide open. The book on Perriman was that he couldn't catch at all. The book on Campanaro was that he couldn't stay healthy. The book on Moore was that he was good on special teams, a good vertical threat, but with questionable hands otherwise.

Well............
    The sword has a point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    All of this makes me feel like Bobby is impossible to evaluate from outside. You would need to inside to evaluate him other than that his players love him, and he isn't a miracle worker.

So he seems to be
    1. Not an A hole
    2. Not God's gift to WR coaching

So my guess is that he is somewhere between 5-8.5 on a 10 point scale of WR coaches, where 1 screws up good players and 10 could make Perriman look like Torrey Smith (because even Miracle workers have their limits).
    He is one we can’t really hold his feet to the fire because of the garbage job the FO has done in this Dept.

5. Re: Bobby Engram-- a failure as WR Coach?

Great thread, but really a tough question to answer from the outside looking-in. I mean, does Engram deserve credit for resurrecting Wallace’s career, or did he simply return to form after a few off-years playing with noodle-armed QBs? I think Chris Moore outperformed his draft position this year, so if I were handing out credit, I’d give Bobby a little for getting more out of Moore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Great thread, but really a tough question to answer from the outside looking-in. I mean, does Engram deserve credit for resurrecting Wallace’s career, or did he simply return to form after a few off-years playing with noodle-armed QBs? I think Chris Moore outperformed his draft position this year, so if I were handing out credit, I’d give Bobby a little for getting more out of Moore.
    While I am pleased with Moore's performance at season's end, let's not get too overjoyed about it. I think we're pleasantly surprised because our WR productivity was so bad that his seemed much better in contrast. In 2017 his stats were : 18 catches (38 targets - 47% catch rate), 248 yards (respectable 13.8 YPC), and 3 TDs. Again, I at least have hope for him in 2018, but I'm not going to expect #1 WR production... Bc

I don't care if you've got shit personnel to work with. If you don't improve said personnel into slightly better shit, you're not a good coach. That's what I see here. There was no improvement from anyone in the WR group, and I'd argue regression in Maclin and Perriman. Moore didn't show anyhting other than more consistent playing time and Wallace wasn't any better than his time in Miami or Piittsburgh.

One of the many reasons its time to move on from Harbaugh (who I think is a great coach in isolation). His loyalty and aversion to making changes will be his doom.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I don't care if you've got shit personnel to work with. If you don't improve said personnel into slightly better shit, you're not a good coach. That's what I see here. There was no improvement from anyone in the WR group, and I'd argue regression in Maclin and Perriman.

One of the many reasons its time to move on from Harbaugh (who I think is a great coach in isolation). His loyalty and aversion to making changes will be his doom.
    Lol I like the Miz’s taste for blood.. let’s burn it down together

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Lol I like the Miz’s taste for blood.. let’s burn it down together

Blog Entries

I don't care if you've got shit personnel to work with. If you don't improve said personnel into slightly better shit, you're not a good coach. That's what I see here. There was no improvement from anyone in the WR group, and I'd argue regression in Maclin and Perriman. Moore didn't show anyhting other than more consistent playing time and Wallace wasn't any better than his time in Miami or Piittsburgh.

I disagree about Moore, he showed excellent toe tapping sideline catches in that one game near the end (game I think was either just prior or just after Pitt). He was consistent with it too, so not a fluke. I was really impressed and thought, wow we really are improving and have one WR who can be a great two minute drill sideline out guy.

However, in true MM form, he completely abandoned calling these plays after that game. JFC! If you have something that works, keep using it, you don't have to use it all the time, but don't stop using it!

Alright, I'm going to need blood pressure meds if I keep going.

Blog Entries

I know exactly where you are coming from with this. However, and I'm loathe to say it because the scheme/system that MM runs is wrong for Joe's skillset, but I think that keeping the system stable was the right move. Feels terrible saying it, but stability is imperative for great quarterbacks and will improve both the QB and the WR corps.

Having said that, I still see a lot of validity and wisdom in what you have written. I still think that Joe was injured much more seriously than anyone has let on this season and even Joe's "this summer should not be a problem" quote at the end of the season is a clue to that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Lol y’all making me depressed too early
    It’s so damn sad Smoove LOL