View Poll Results: Who would you rather have at QB?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Smith

4 12.12%
  • Joe Flacco

24 72.73%
  • Neither

5 15.15%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Trade for Alex Smith

Do you even understand how the salary cap works? No, of course you don't. If we trade Flacco now we'd have like $20 some million in dead money plus Smith's salary. Never going to happen.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    Unless Alex Smith can catch really well and get a lot of yards after the catch, no, cause if Joe would just stop dropping all those passes he'd be fine. I mean, I was pissed that Flacco couldn't cover Boyd and get a pass defense or at least tackle him short of the sticks, but what can you do. I was seriously ready to get rid of Flacco when he couldn't cover Brown or stop Bell against the Steelers too.
    The Ravens ranked 16th in the NFL for dropped passes. But that doesn't matter, huh? I agree a lot of those passes were frustrating but what about all those touchdowns that we failed to catch because Joe Flacco overthrew his WRs or came up short, or made the wrong read, or dunked it down to the RB because he can't anticipate routes down field. How many passes would so bad that you just stopped what you were doing for the next 5 minutes and blankly stared at the TV wondering WHAT THE HELL WAS JOE FLACCO THINKING?

It's brutal being the voice of reason because it hurts me to hurt you when I have to tell you how bad Joe flacco is hurting this team.
    Last edited by unbelievable; 01-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Do you even understand how the salary cap works? No, of course you don't. If we trade Flacco now we'd have like $20 some million in dead money plus Smith's salary. Never going to happen.
    We're better without Joe Flacco. Rip the band-aid off and take the hit.

I understand perfectly how the cap works. Parting ways with Joe this year, we would assume $28.75M in dead money. If we cut or trade him after june-1, that dead cap spreads out over 2 years. Which, would save us $12M in cap space THIS YEAR and $10.5M next year. However, we would indeed have wasted a lot of cap space when you look at it in hindsight. But to be fair we're already wasting a lot of cap space with Joe Flacco ON THE TEAM.

In my scenario, I offered a reasonable substitution for mitigating some dead cap this year. We assume Alex Smith's contract in place of Flacco's. Get at least equal production for 1 year. And begin the process of swallowing an awful contract and moving on. In 2019, we have an additional $10.5 in cap space that we otherwise wouldnt have had with Flacco ON THE TEAM. So obviously, we would be faced with some decisions moving forward. Draft a rookie QB early? Extend Smith? Both? Maybe let Alex be our stop gap for a year? The following year you're paying $4-5M for a (1st rd) rookie QB, $1M or less for any round after... AND STILL would have saved MORE money in cap space then if Joe Flacco was on our roster.
    Last edited by unbelievable; 01-13-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    It's brutal being the voice of the reason
    You owe me a new keyboard.

The Ravens ranked 16th in the NFL for dropped passes. But that doesn't matter, huh? I agree a lot of those passes were frustrating but what about all those touchdowns that we failed to catch because Joe Flacco overthrew his WRs or came up short, or made the wrong read, or dunked it down to the RB because he can't anticipate routes down field. How many passes would so bad that you just stopped what you were doing for the next 5 minutes and blankly stared at the TV wondering WHAT THE HELL WAS JOE FLACCO THINKING?

It's brutal being the voice of the reason because it hurts me to hurt you when I have to tell you how bad Joe flacco is hurting this team.
    First of all, #12 through #16 on that list all had the same number of dropped passes according to those NFL stats. Second, there is no chance in hell that the Ravens only had 20 dropped passes in this entire season. There were at least 6 or 7 just in the last game. I'm sorry but if you're in the NFL and the ball hits you in the hands/chest/etc, you freaking catch the ball. I don't care if the ball was thrown a foot off target. You get paid to make a freaking play. If we catch even half of those drops in the Bengals game, or even just the one bobble turned INT from Moore, we probably win that game. Is Flacco great - not usually but he can be when he's healthy and guys catch the ball. Is he the main problem - hell no. Is a guy like Alex Smith going to be better, or even remotely as good - hell no. Do you think that trading for another QB is suddenly going to make these coaches scheme guys open or call plays that make sense in the context of the game? I don't think so

We're better without Joe Flacco.
    I get the impression you never watched this team with guys like Boller and Grbac. You want to talk about ripping off band-aids. I'd rather rip off my arm than ever go back to that. The grass isn't always greener. In fact, it rarely is.

We're better without Joe Flacco. Rip the band-aid off and take the hit.

I understand perfectly how the cap works. Parting ways with Joe this year, we would assume $28.75M in dead money. If we cut or trade him after june-1, that dead cap spreads out over 2 years. Which, would save us $12M in cap space THIS YEAR and $8M next year. However, we would indeed have wasted a lot of cap space when you look at it in hindsight. But to be fair we're already wasting a lot of cap space with Joe Flacco ON THE TEAM.

In my scenario, I offered a reasonable substitution for mitigating some dead cap this year. We assume Alex Smith's contract in place of Flacco's. Get at least equal production for 1 year. And begin the process of swallowing an awful contract and moving on. In 2019, we have an additional $8M in cap space that we otherwise wouldnt have had with Flacco ON THE TEAM. So obviously, we would be faced with some decisions moving forward. Draft a rookie QB early? Extend Smith? Both? Maybe let Alex be our stop gap for a year? The following year you're paying $4-5M for a (1st rd) rookie QB, $1M or less for any round after... AND STILL would have saved MORE money in cap space then if Joe Flacco was on our roster.
    I may be a salty sally, but man are you ever one silly sally!
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    I get the impression you never watched this team with guys like Boller and Grbac. You want to talk about ripping off band-aids. I'd rather rip off my arm than ever go back to that. The grass isn't always greener. In fact, it rarely is.
    Boller scarred us all. I get it. I get the hesitation of not wanting to move on from Joe. But that's straight up Stockholm Syndrome mentality. We all are prisoners to Jersey Joe. Anything at this point is better than what Flacco has been putting on the field. Seriously, rookie QBs in their 1st, 2nd years and bums from yesteryear are out quarterbacking Joe Flacco. We are entering no man's land with Joe. I'm tired of being held hostage by his inconsistency. In today's NFL it's a lot easier to play Quarterback then what Boller had to go through. But to be fair Boller was on his own level. A rare find.

Sorry dude. You have a right to your opinion, but the rest of us have the right to tell you how silly this whole thread is.

Blog Entries

Madden video game football strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy Supreme View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Keep it coming Jig LOL FWO will shut things down LOL

Blog Entries

Jesus this is worse then your stupid ass Harbaugh thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk