Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Twitter Exposed! Project Veritas strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    If you use end to end encryption from a ProtonMail to ProtonMail account, they need a legal reason to get it. I am not concerned so much with that other than Google farming me and selling things.

But since you are such an expert, perhaps you care to embellish on exactly how the government can read an encrypted email with such ease?

Or is selling real estate in New Mexico along with posting on a message board your criteria for knowing all? Tell, me Dade, work at the NSA? Ever do any networking? I have a few certifications and have worked internationally and know a few things regarding computers and international law, but you seem to be an expert so wow me with something other than snipe.
    I thought you were a geologist?

Also, Dade works for DoD and is stationed overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If you use end to end encryption from a ProtonMail to ProtonMail account, they need a legal reason to get it. I am not concerned so much with that other than Google farming me and selling things.

But since you are such an expert, perhaps you care to embellish on exactly how the government can read an encrypted email with such ease?

Or is selling real estate in New Mexico along with posting on a message board your criteria for knowing all? Tell, me Dade, work at the NSA? Ever do any networking? I have a few certifications and have worked internationally and know a few things regarding computers and international law, but you seem to be an expert so wow me with something other than snipe.
    First of all, stop with all the hostility.

Second, I never said it was easy for the government to read encrypted email. But they can. Not having a legal reason to do it has never stopped the government. Why do you think they hold American citizens indefinitely without ever charging them. Illegal and unconstitutional...yet it happens.

Lastly, as far as my background goes, I've worked in Command and Control for 17 years...either active duty, defense contractor or federal employee. I knew about Prism years before Snowden revealed it. I may not know how to network, but I am intimately familiar with what the DoD is capable of operationally.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Still with the DoD, but now am in Albuquerque.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Second, I never said it was easy for the government to read encrypted email. But they can. Not having a legal reason to do it has never stopped the government. Why do you think they hold American citizens indefinitely without ever charging them. Illegal and unconstitutional...yet it happens.
    Are you saying they can break the actual encryption, or use other ways like mitm to read encrypted mails. I am not familiar with Protonmail but I thought certain types of encryption couldn't be cracked? Or at least, it would take many thousands of years.
    Last edited by New !; 01-16-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    Are you saying they can break the actual encryption, or use other ways like mitm to read encrypted mails. I am not familiar with Protonmail but I thought certain types of encryption couldn't be cracked? Or at least, it would take many thousands of years.
    I'm not a technical expert in the field. That being said there are ways to crack/read encryption. I've seen it done. It's not easy and it takes a VERY long time. Why do you think the DoD are building warehouse sized server facilities in Virginia, Nevada and New Mexico?

One thing I've learned throughout my career is that no level of security is 100% impregnable. All that is needed is time and patience.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

No, I am no geologist but work with geology as a cartographer, as well as satellite data globally / internationally as well as experts in a range of fields.

First of all, stop with all the hostility.

Lastly, as far as my background goes, I've worked in Command and Control for 17 years...either active duty, defense contractor or federal employee. I knew about Prism years before Snowden revealed it. I may not know how to network, but I am intimately familiar with what the DoD is capable of operationally.

Still with the DoD, but now am in Albuquerque.
    It takes a lot of doing to read an encrypted mail as you just agreed to in a reply to "NEW". They aren't going to go through all that trouble for Joe Blow was my point. If they start sniffing around CERN servers without authorization you better believe it will make headline news, hence why CERN madw ProtonMail in the first place.

So you decided to snark me and be cool to him? Then tell me I am hostile? Whatever dude.

I know people and suffice to say I won't get into what they do for obvious reasons, but they'd not reveal what you just have to us for the sake of winning a disagreement on a message board.

Back to the main point, I don't want Google serving up all my email to the highest bidder and why can't yous simply say ProtonMail is in all likelihood the most secure email in the world. Not that it is unbreakable, I never said anything like that, simply with all the noses in everyone's mail it was my choice.

Anyway, no hate. Can't wait to visit Albuquerque myself. It is the holy land to me... where's the statue of Walter White?

I know people and suffice to say I won't get into what they do for obvious reasons, but they'd not reveal what you just have to us for the sake of winning a disagreement on a message board.

Back to the main point, I don't want Google serving up all my email to the highest bidder and why can't yous simply say ProtonMail is in all likelihood the most secure email in the world. Not that it is unbreakable, I never said anything like that, simply with all the noses in everyone's mail it was my choice.
    I don't think he revealed anything that wasn't publicly known. The only way you would have to worry about Proton mail is if a government compromised them, or if they decided to be malicious and log your messages as you type (before it becomes encrypted). Which given their affiliation with CERN is unlikely. Otherwise you are fine.

It takes a lot of doing to read an encrypted mail as you just agreed to in a reply to "NEW". They aren't going to go through all that trouble for Joe Blow was my point. If they start sniffing around CERN servers without authorization you better believe it will make headline news, hence why CERN madw ProtonMail in the first place.

So you decided to snark me and be cool to him? Then tell me I am hostile? Whatever dude.

Anyway, no hate. Can't wait to visit Albuquerque myself. It is the holy land to me... where's the statue of Walter White?
    I got hostility from your reply to me. If you didn't mean it that way, I apologize.

I wasn't giving you snark. Just giving you my opinion based off my experience.

Like New! said...I haven't said anything that isn't public knowledge already. I take my lively hood too seriously than to jeopardize my career to "win" an argument over the internet.

Yep. Protonmail is a great alternative to Google. Especially if you don't want your info sold or Google going through your info/emails for profit. I was only saying that it isn't secure against the government/military. IMO anyone that has communications they want to safeguard...don't put it on the internet at all. Or at the very least use a self contained network. But even that has vulnerabilities.

Same, no hate. Albuquerque is cool...only been here since May. Walter White...I'm embarrassed to say I've never seen Breaking Bad. I know, I know...

Blog Entries

Twitter Exposed! Project Veritas strikes again!

Even with a mitm attack, end-to-end wouldn’t be vulnerable without the decryption keys.

Unless, of course, there is some exploitable vulnerability within the encryption or transportation protocol as was the case with Heartbleed a few years ago...and there are lots of rumors about where that originated...

Some encryption standards are able to be decrypted with modern computation, but by and large, most modern standards would take years upon years of dedicated efforts (ie lots and lots of computers) to effectively crack. For one email, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze (from a CNO perspective).

Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-16-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't think he revealed anything that wasn't publicly known. The only way you would have to worry about Proton mail is if a government compromised them, or if they decided to be malicious and log your messages as you type (before it becomes encrypted). Which given their affiliation with CERN is unlikely. Otherwise you are fine.
    Yep. Drop a key logger or something onto the sender’s box...

Blog Entries

I got hostility from your reply to me. If you didn't mean it that way, I apologize.

I wasn't giving you snark. Just giving you my opinion based off my experience.

Like New! said...I haven't said anything that isn't public knowledge already. I take my lively hood too seriously than to jeopardize my career to "win" an argument over the internet.

Yep. Protonmail is a great alternative to Google. Especially if you don't want your info sold or Google going through your info/emails for profit. I was only saying that it isn't secure against the government/military. IMO anyone that has communications they want to safeguard...don't put it on the internet at all. Or at the very least use a self contained network. But even that has vulnerabilities.

Same, no hate. Albuquerque is cool...only been here since May. Walter White...I'm embarrassed to say I've never seen Breaking Bad. I know, I know...
    No problem man, and likewise, we cool.

I fully agree, if you don't want anyone to know anything, you need to be a ghost. I mean disposable laptop, vpn, to vpn, hop browser, encryption with a cypher that was established face to face or snail mail. It is a lot of work that frankly doesn't pay unless you are some kind of nut.

I am planning on visiting for real in May, checking out all the locations of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. The show pretty much put that city on the map. Just curious how it must be that a fictional character fits into that city's fabric.

Even with a mitm attack, end-to-end wouldn’t be vulnerable without the decryption keys.

Unless, of course, there is some exploitable vulnerability within the encryption or transportation protocol as was the case with Heartbleed a few years ago...and there are lots of rumors about where that originated...

Some encryption standards are able to be decrypted with modern computation, but by and large, most modern standards would take years upon years of dedicated efforts (ie lots and lots of computers) to effectively crack. For one email, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze (from a CNO perspective).

Your the kid from Wargames, come clean!

I am planning on visiting for real in May, checking out all the locations of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. The show pretty much put that city on the map. Just curious how it must be that a fictional character fits into that city's fabric.
    Let me know when you're in town. ABQ has a ton of great breweries. Make sure to take the BB tour. Takes you to all the spots from the show. Pretty much everywhere you go there's some sort of BB reference or a picture of Walter White on a wall in a bar. One thing I hear the show got right was the crime. ABQ has a lot of property theft crime.

Blog Entries

No problem man, and likewise, we cool.

I fully agree, if you don't want anyone to know anything, you need to be a ghost. I mean disposable laptop, vpn, to vpn, hop browser, encryption with a cypher that was established face to face or snail mail. It is a lot of work that frankly doesn't pay unless you are some kind of nut.

Your the kid from Wargames, come clean!
    Lol.