Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Another great cap article from Brian

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: Another great cap article from Brian

Yea after reading that they in trouble.

Uh-oh! Spaghettios!

It looks like Brian is falling into the same sunk cost fallacy that many other people fall into when it comes to Flacco's contract. You really can't see "dead money" as a prohibition to cutting underperforming players. That money has to hit your cap eventually anyway. The only question in mind is how much non-guaranteed salary could be avoided by cutting a player. Basically, Flacco is scheduled to make $12 million next year, and $18-24 million in the following seasons. The only relevant question is whether or not he is worth that salary. Don't worry about the dead money, it will hill your cap regardless of what you do.

In the middle of the season, I was really pondering whether or not we should cut Flacco this off-season if we could find a promising option in the draft, or really just wanted to go in a different direction. But I think that Flacco has shown me a lot in the 2nd half, and looks like a different player. So I'm comfortable with keeping him next season, and just trying to make a better effort to give him a better offense to work with. In 2019 and 2020, his place on the team will be a pretty fair question. But we'll have to act fast. His cap hits will require each decision to be made over the off-season, and not in training camp. Another option, if his play significantly improves, would be to give him a Brady-like restructure in 2019 or 2020, where the non-guaranteed salary decrease significantly, but the guarantees increase. Resulting in lower cap hits, but more security for Flacco and the going Flacco clan.

We aren't signing a #1 WR.

I'd cut everyone in the chart at the bottom of the page except Weddle and Suggs.

I'd draft a RT, WR, TE, ILB in the first 4.

Focus the rest of the picks on WR, FS, RB, OT/OG.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Blog Entries

Man i had to re-read it because the suckiness of the situation was overwhelming trying to see what was what but Flacco and his contract is a problem. B will getting paid way too much, Jefferson is over-paid, we still got some dead money issues..smh

This team is probably going to have to get worse before it gets better. Instead of kicking the can down the road under the delusion that we are close to being Superbowl contenders I would prefer they just yank the bandaid off.

Blog Entries

Looking at the Ravens cap space visually :

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    We aren't signing a #1 WR.

I'd cut everyone in the chart at the bottom of the page except Weddle and Suggs.

I'd draft a RT, WR, TE, ILB in the first 4.

Focus the rest of the picks on WR, FS, RB, OT/OG.
    I don't think we will either, we will most likely re sign Wallace. Cut Maclin, and we will be looking at Wallace, Perriman, Moore, Tim WHite, Quincy and a rookie next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    I don't think we will either, we will most likely re sign Wallace. Cut Maclin, and we will be looking at Wallace, Perriman, Moore, Tim WHite, Quincy and a rookie next year.
    If that rookie is a first rounder I won't be too upset TBH.

I'd cut Perriman and keep Campy though.

And when I say I won't be upset, I mean I would be happy with the moves made, I still wouldn't be thrilled with our overall position, especially relative to the rst of the league, but it'd be a start.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This team is probably going to have to get worse before it gets better. Instead of kicking the can down the road under the delusion that we are close to being Superbowl contenders I would prefer they just yank the bandaid off.
    Yea Terp I think most of us are coming to realize this, even though we would like wholesale changes I don't think it's even smart to do it this year or even next for that matter.

I used to laugh at Dan Snyder and the perpetual cap mismanagement by the Skins but the Ravens have turned into the same mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Yea Terp I think most of us are coming to realize this, even though we would like wholesale changes I don't think it's even smart to do it this year or even next for that matter.
    I don't get it Smoove. I thought our cap situation was getting better, not worse.

Somebody needs to be held accountable. How is it that we are up against the cap every year with a mediocre team?