Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Will we re-sign Ryan Jensen?

Why not offer him 4 years/ 28-30 million, and see what he says. Why don't they ever give out contracts during the season? They'll wait, he'll get courted by a bad team with lots of salary cap space, and the Ravens won't match the offer. I didn't think that Jason Brown would end up being the highest paid center in the NFL at the time the Rams overpaid him, and he left Baltimore as a free agent.

60/40 no

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    If there were no salary cap, that would be a nice fantasy. But spending money to have the second-highest paid guard, the second highest-paid RT, another top-10 salary guard, and what would presumably be a top-5 salary center would be beyond stupid. The only bargain on your line at that point would be Stanley, and he might well be the highest paid of all of them in two years.

Fantasy land is great. I'd love to sign all the top free agents, keep all our best players, and basically be the New York Yankees. But that's not reality in the NFL.
    Agreed. I do think letting KO walk was a mistake, you resign All Pros. Letting Wagner walk was undoubtedly the right move. If we had resigned KO then I doubt you’d be looking to retain Jensen at any more than about 5m. But since we didn’t then I think our budget for Jensen needs to be pretty aggressive. But I don’t see him being in the running for top of position money like KO and Wagner were. Stanley has 2 more years at low cap numbers and then we gotta be ready for 12m or more for him (hopefully at least as that means he’s continued developing and stayed healthy)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Regarding Jensen and PFF, they do rank him #8 Center - but only color code him average to slightly above average. Which tells me PFF is seeing a handful of outstanding Centers, and a guy like Jensen as a little better than a lot of JAGs and mediocrities, and outright bums. However, they figured that out in their system, Jensen will no doubt draw bidders.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think that Jensen will get the interest that KO and Wagner got on the free agent market. Those guys got top money for their position offers. Jensen has been good but is he a $10 million a year Center? I see more of a $6 to $7 like Kelce for the Eagles or Unger for the Saints. At that price you have to pay him
    Men, I agree and just hoping the market for him is as GOTA posted. Those teams though (Browns for example) may way over-pay and put us out of the bidding (as was previously posted by rhap). However, if around $7 mil. is the price, I think Ozzie has to pull the trigger.
    Let's also consider Jensen is 26 (27 next May) and has found his niche (Center) going in to his best pro years... Bc

Blog Entries

If there were no salary cap, that would be a nice fantasy. But spending money to have the second-highest paid guard, the second highest-paid RT, another top-10 salary guard, and what would presumably be a top-5 salary center would be beyond stupid. The only bargain on your line at that point would be Stanley, and he might well be the highest paid of all of them in two years.

Fantasy land is great. I'd love to sign all the top free agents, keep all our best players, and basically be the New York Yankees. But that's not reality in the NFL.
    Right Hot, that's why my first two words were "Fantasy Land." However, I'd just like to add that the $ you don't spend on your FAs (KO, Wagner) has to go somewhere. Let's consider if it was spent wisely (?) ... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 12-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Right Hot, that's why my first two words were "Fantasy Land." However, I'd just like to add that the $ you don't spend on your FAs (KO, Wagner) has to go somewhere. Let's consider if it was spent wisely (?) ... Bc
    That is of course a separate question, and certainly some missteps were made. But I don't think we are contending for a playoff berth right now without Wallace, Weddle, Howard, Jefferson (when he is used correctly,) and Carr. That's some money well-spent there.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."

Blog Entries

That is of course a separate question, and certainly some missteps were made. But I don't think we are contending for a playoff berth right now without Wallace, Weddle, Howard, Jefferson (when he is used correctly,) and Carr. That's some money well-spent there.
    Points well taken, my friend... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    60/40 no
    That's my guess as well.

I'll go 70/30 yes. I think they should, but I don't know what his market really is, and they might land someone like Billy Price in the draft.

Will they? I'm guessing no. Jensen would bring back a high comp pick, I'm guessing 4th round.

But at some point, you have to maintain a level of continuity on the OL. You need a couple mainstays. Right now it's Stanley and ???? Because Yanda is on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think that Jensen will get the interest that KO and Wagner got on the free agent market. Those guys got top money for their position offers. Jensen has been good but is he a $10 million a year Center? I see more of a $6 to $7 like Kelce for the Eagles or Unger for the Saints. At that price you have to pay him
    Agree, Jensen isn't worth $10M a year. But the Ravens better have a good backup plan if Jensen walks. I don't want to see a Zuttah type get bull rushed all game and eventually get Flacco injured.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I'll go 70/30 yes. I think they should, but I don't know what his market really is, and they might land someone like Billy Price in the draft.

Will they? I'm guessing no. Jensen would bring back a high comp pick, I'm guessing 4th round.

But at some point, you have to maintain a level of continuity on the OL. You need a couple mainstays. Right now it's Stanley and ???? Because Yanda is on the decline.
    I would have said Alex Lewis except he is on the IR.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd just like to add that the $ you don't spend on your FAs (KO, Wagner) has to go somewhere.
    Or it has already been spent. Sometimes a team simply can't afford a free agent.