Page 1 of 21 123 ... LastLast

Will we re-sign Ryan Jensen?

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I didn't see a topic on it. Ryan Jensen is a UFA after this season. Somewhat quietly, he is the #8 center in the NFL by PFF grades this year. Everyone should agree he's been a valuable upgrade over the recent string of centers we've had, and been a huge reason why our run game has taken charge this year. The question though becomes, can we afford to give him a new contract? Other teams will certainly offer significant money. We have several lineman coming back from injury next year, but continuity is sometimes an underappreciated factor with O-lines, and the center is the key cog. What say you?

Blog Entries

Re: Will we re-sign Ryan Jensen?

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I didn't see a topic on it. Ryan Jensen is a UFA after this season. Somewhat quietly, he is the #8 center in the NFL by PFF grades this year. Everyone should agree he's been a valuable upgrade over the recent string of centers we've had, and been a huge reason why our run game has taken charge this year. The question though becomes, can we afford to give him a new contract? Other teams will certainly offer significant money. We have several lineman coming back from injury next year, but continuity is sometimes an underappreciated factor with O-lines, and the center is the key cog. What say you?
    I'd certainly like to sign Jensen, but there may be other teams (with much higher cap space) that would be willing to over-pay. If Ozzie didn't sign KO (2016) or Wagner (2017), he may go the same route with Jensen. While I hope not, $ reality must take precedence... Bc

P.S. - the Ravens may think that Skura can be his replacement, if need be.

Who knows. Jensen has been a pleasant surprise, but it doesn't mean that the Ravens won't try and lowball him like they did with Osemele.

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    We should, If you made me guess I would say no we wont. I think our brain trust thinks they can pluck literally anyone out of the draft and put them in on offense, they dont really care about what we do on that side of the ball
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    We should, If you made me guess I would say no we wont. I think our brain trust thinks they can pluck literally anyone out of the draft and put them in on offense, they dont really care about what we do on that side of the ball
    Hard to argue that.

The model on offense seems to be finding mid-late round gems and cheaper FA's that shake loose and provide a good value acquisition.

This model sometimes work (Howard has been solid at half the price of Wagner) and sometimes they don't (see: any receiver ever except for Boldin, Senior and Mason).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Fantasy Land : Stanley - KO - Jensen - Yanda - Wagner.
    I guess some feel finding mid-late round gems and cheaper FA's is the way to go.
    Luckily it worked somewhat for us this year, but going forward... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd certainly like to sign Jensen, but there may be other teams (with much higher cap space) that would be willing to over-pay. If Ozzie didn't sign KO (2016) or Wagner (2017), he may go the same route with Jensen. While I hope not, $ reality must take precedence... Bc

P.S. - the Ravens may think that Skura can be his replacement, if need be.
    I think you are right on it, Bc. I don't doubt for a moment that the Ravens envision Skura as a potential starting Center. Smart C from Duke. And congratulations to them for a successful project - a long one, with investment up front, electrodes, $$, tubing, weight programs, and I-don't know-what-all, organs from Nembot, etc. Every time we get a UDFA who can really contribute as a starter, we are beating the system.

If we lose Jensen, and I hope we don't, the worst case would be Stanley-Lewis-Skura-Yanda-Howard without drafting a quality Olineman. I would hope we could hold Skura in reserve one more year, to back up Jensen (or Billy Price!), or Lewis, in case Lewis has to relieve Howard, or Yanda, to give Marshal a breather.

Regarding Jensen and PFF, they do rank him #8 Center - but only color code him average to slightly above average. Which tells me PFF is seeing a handful of outstanding Centers, and a guy like Jensen as a little better than a lot of JAGs and mediocrities, and outright bums. However, they figured that out in their system, Jensen will no doubt draw bidders.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

He should be priority #1, so we probably won't re-sign him. Especially now that people think we can just get by with any UDFA on the OL.

Blog Entries

I don't think that Jensen will get the interest that KO and Wagner got on the free agent market. Those guys got top money for their position offers. Jensen has been good but is he a $10 million a year Center? I see more of a $6 to $7 like Kelce for the Eagles or Unger for the Saints. At that price you have to pay him

I think that:

Staley- ? - ? - Yanda - Howard

is at minimum where we are for 2018. Lewis likely slides in at LG if healthy. As long as we don't have to pay some outrageous money for Jensen, I think we have to do it. We've seen how a JAG center torpedoes our run game and Flacco's ability to step up in the pocket. Unless we are invested a 1st or 2nd day pick on a center (which we won't), I don't want to go through that again. It would be quite a lot to ask Skura or Siragusa to step in and take charge of the line in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Fantasy Land : Stanley - KO - Jensen - Yanda - Wagner.
    I guess some feel finding mid-late round gems and cheaper FA's is the way to go.
    Luckily it worked somewhat for us this year, but going forward... Bc
    If there were no salary cap, that would be a nice fantasy. But spending money to have the second-highest paid guard, the second highest-paid RT, another top-10 salary guard, and what would presumably be a top-5 salary center would be beyond stupid. The only bargain on your line at that point would be Stanley, and he might well be the highest paid of all of them in two years.

Fantasy land is great. I'd love to sign all the top free agents, keep all our best players, and basically be the New York Yankees. But that's not reality in the NFL.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't think that Jensen will get the interest that KO and Wagner got on the free agent market. Those guys got top money for their position offers. Jensen has been good but is he a $10 million a year Center? I see more of a $6 to $7 like Kelce for the Eagles or Unger for the Saints. At that price you have to pay him
    The market is going up, of course, and there is a dearth of good Centers. I hope you are right. I would pay him $8m per year, if need be.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)