Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Will we re-sign Ryan Jensen?

BTW - major caveat to all posts that i write regarding Ozzie....I really dont contextualize to what I think Ozzie will do. He thinks a lot different than we do and it's very frustrating with regards to the offense. So I may just be wasting breathe on dream scenarios.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I like Jensen and want to resign him, but he should be closer to 7-10 pay wise and talent wise than 1-6 on that list
    I agree, and even if we have to overpay a bit, he's still affordable. In other words, we are going to have to pay far less to keep Ryan Jensen than we would have had to pay to keep KO or Wagner.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Resign Jensen, draft one of those OTs projected to go in the first round and hope Lewis, Siragusa and Yanada are healthy. Draft a couple of WRs early and sign one in FA.

Blog Entries

I believe that it is going to be a Ricky Wagner situation all over again. During the off-season, aside from the debate of whether or not he was worth it, the debate was how much he would garner on the open market. A good portion of the board underestimated that and just didn't understand that the value of offensive linemen was going to go up fast. There is a dearth of offensive line talent across the board. There is a dearth of Centers right now. I believe the Ravens will offer him something based on where they think he fits and where the cap was two years ago, only to be surprised that he's offered far more on the open market and fans will once again go on about how he wasn't worth it. You already have to give Howard help on the right side. Jensen already has to help Hurst a lot. You're not going to get more guys out in routes if you have to keep so many blockers in. Posters just haven't caught up to the new reality, that fewer offensive linemen of a higher quality are entering the league. You're going to have to start paying up more than you used to.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Good points.

There's really no one else. Like you said we can cut Carr, which I'm definitely conisering given the play of Humphrey and Canady. The return of Young and Smith will be big. Carr would probably be our 4th or 5th corner (1st backup to the outside guys). Smith and Humphrey start outside, Young and Canady in the slot.
    Can you really count on J. Smith as a starting CB anymore? Likewise how good will Young be coming back from injury?

I'd definitely keep Brandon Carr, he's one guy w/ experience who seems durable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I believe that it is going to be a Ricky Wagner situation all over again. During the off-season, aside from the debate of whether or not he was worth it, the debate was how much he would garner on the open market. A good portion of the board underestimated that and just didn't understand that the value of offensive linemen was going to go up fast. There is a dearth of offensive line talent across the board. There is a dearth of Centers right now. I believe the Ravens will offer him something based on where they think he fits and where the cap was two years ago, only to be surprised that he's offered far more on the open market and fans will once again go on about how he wasn't worth it. You already have to give Howard help on the right side. Jensen already has to help Hurst a lot. You're not going to get more guys out in routes if you have to keep so many blockers in. Posters just haven't caught up to the new reality, that fewer offensive linemen of a higher quality are entering the league. You're going to have to start paying up more than you used to.
    Three teams which heavily emphasized building offensive lines coming into the year 2017 were the Titans, Cowboys, and Oakland, and at most only one will make the playoffs.

Not sure paying O-lineman big money FA contracts is the way to go.

Honestly, I could see the transition tag being a good move. That way we can match if someone offers him. It puts us out to potentially lose him, but gives us much more control on the cost. It lowers the amount anyway, from top 5 average to top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I didn't see a topic on it. Ryan Jensen is a UFA after this season. Somewhat quietly, he is the #8 center in the NFL by PFF grades this year. Everyone should agree he's been a valuable upgrade over the recent string of centers we've had, and been a huge reason why our run game has taken charge this year. The question though becomes, can we afford to give him a new contract? Other teams will certainly offer significant money. We have several lineman coming back from injury next year, but continuity is sometimes an underappreciated factor with O-lines, and the center is the key cog. What say you?
    Why wouldn't the Ravens want to re-sign Jensen?

This player has been productive at C.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    Why wouldn't the Ravens want to re-sign Jensen?

This player has been productive at C.

The question was never whether the Ravens WANT to re-sign Jensen, rather if they would (be able to).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Three teams which heavily emphasized building offensive lines coming into the year 2017 were the Titans, Cowboys, and Oakland, and at most only one will make the playoffs.

Not sure paying O-lineman big money FA contracts is the way to go.
    By that logic, you can pick out three teams that won't make the playoffs, but have paid a FA @ position "X." Then post "Not sure paying position "X" big money FA contracts is the way to go."
    Even with the $alary cap, you've got to pay up to somebody, sometime or lose all your good players going into their prime... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    Can you really count on J. Smith as a starting CB anymore? Likewise how good will Young be coming back from injury?

I'd definitely keep Brandon Carr, he's one guy w/ experience who seems durable.
    Agreed. You can't cut Carr. Sure, he's gotten beat a few times this year. But who doesn't get beat by AB? Carr is far and above better than what they've had from 2013-2016. You can never have enough quality corners.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Agreed. You can't cut Carr. Sure, he's gotten beat a few times this year. But who doesn't get beat by AB? Carr is far and above better than what they've had from 2013-2016. You can never have enough quality corners.
    Carr has been solid for sure.

The only reason I suggest cutting him is because of our needs on O. Nothing to do with his play. He's been better than I expected TBH. He wasn't signed to shut down AB.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB