Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2018 Defensive Coordinators Candidates

Too premature, too much wishful thinking, it ain't happening until JH goes; he tied his wagon to Pees too many years ago, and I'm on record that I believe Monday's game was his last regardless of the rest of the season.
    It was JH's "Miami" and Pees 2010 embarrassing Patriot's loss to the Ravens all in one. The game wasn't a one-of, but continuation of an all too predictable pattern that can and will happen anytime.
    No lead is safe, and there will always be enough time on the clock for a good team to come-back and win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    #4 in PTS allowed
    #1 in INTs
    #7 in Sacks
    #1 in defensive TDs
    #7 in FFs
    #6 in PDs

While I agree I do not like some calls being made (single coverage on AB and Hopkins still bothers me) and am sick of blowing 4th Q leads, to say the defense hasn't worked out I think is taking away a lot of credit. Yes I think this defense could be better with a different DC, but lets not act like they are the Giants D
    The problem is not the overarching statistical rankings.

It's the fact that the defense has years upon years of collapsing in the 4th quarter when the Ravens have the lead. With the amount of talent they have and how much has been invested there, it shouldn't even be a question. In the past, some of the defensive issues can definitely be chalked up to talent...i.e. having Rashan Melvin or Shareece Wright as your top corners.

But this year? Last year?

I dont know if those 4th quarter let downs are factored into those overarching defensive statistics, but if they were, I'd bet the Ravens were in the Top echelon of leads lost in the 4th quarter.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Some other not-so-obvious names to consider...

Jim Betcher (if Bruce Arians retires and they have a coaching overhaul).
    Brentson Buckner (I like his attitude and intensity as a DL coach. I feel like players would love playing for him).
    Jim Cohen (Our own guy...the DL has played pretty well...he could certainly get an interview to see how he'd do things differently).
    Jeff Ulbrich (Atlanta LB's coach - look at how he's done with Deion Jones, Vic Beasley, etc).
    Paul Guenther (Cinci DC - Cinci has had some nice defenses under him and Guenther came up under Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer).
    Jerry Gray (Vikings DB's coach - Just look at how well their secondary is playing...I also like the idea of someone that has learned from Mike Zimmer).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    if pees retires Harbs is hiring one of his buddies to carry out the same scheme you can bank on it.
    I'd be very pleased with Mike Pettine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    Not in the running yet, but I'm keeping an eye on Jim Leonhard at Wisconsin.
    Holy shit, Leonhard is coaching?!? He'll make a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Not just coaching but doing extremely well at it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...nsive-whiz-kid

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would be very interested in Pettine. He got a raw deal in Cleveland.
    Me too.

I like him a lot, maybe more than most on this board because of a book I read. It's one of the best books on the NFL that I've ever seen:

The writer, Nicholas Dawidoff, spent the season embedded with the Jets coaching staff. It was Rex's team; the writer spent most of his time with the defense, so Pettine the DC is featured. And Pettine comes across as an extremely intelligent, interesting guy with his head on straight. He actually comes across as smarter (better judgement) and more Xs-&-Os oriented than Rex.

My impression is that Harbaugh likes those God-fearing Christian guys. Pettine might be too "secular", and too much of a foul-mouthed cusser, to really appeal to Harbaugh. Which would be a shame: I think he'd be a great addition, and a step in the direction of a return to organized chaos.
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 12-13-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Typo, Bills for Jets

Blog Entries

Pettine won't be a choice I would be happy if he is one, but I highly doubt it. If pees is out it's going to be someone in that same mold of defense, bend not break, tampa 2 philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Fangio is a Rex guy.
    Fangio is not a Rex guy. I guess if anything Fangio was a Billick guy, since he joined the team in 1996 as Special Assistant to the Head Coach. I think he was Billicks DC-in-waiting, for when Rex got nabbed to be a HC. But Fangio stayed in Baltimore when Rex went to the Jets, and Harbaugh gave him the job of Linebackers Coach. Then Habaugh must have endorsed Fangio to Jim Harbaugh, because Fangio joined Jim's staff at Stanford, and then moved with him to the Niners as DC.

So, Fangio is a Harbaugh guy now.

Also he's John Fox's DC in Chicago now.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Not just coaching but doing extremely well at it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...nsive-whiz-kid
    What an awesome story.

I loved him as a player. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cool Re: 2018 Defensive Coordinators Candidates

Fangio is not a Rex guy. I guess if anything Fangio was a Billick guy, since he joined the team in 1996 as Special Assistant to the Head Coach. I think he was Billicks DC-in-waiting, for when Rex got nabbed to be a HC. But Fangio stayed in Baltimore when Rex went to the Jets, and Harbaugh gave him the job of Linebackers Coach. Then Habaugh must have endorsed Fangio to Jim Harbaugh, because Fangio joined Jim's staff at Stanford, and then moved with him to the Niners as DC.

So, Fangio is a Harbaugh guy now.

Also he's John Fox's DC in Chicago now.
    Fangio was definitely a Billick pick and he would have been the DC when Rex left but once Billick was fired that changed. Billick never was good at picking OCs but he definitely could pick great DCs and defensive coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    from Colts.com :

"Ted Monachino enters his second season with the Colts as the team’s defensive coordinator. He holds 27 years of coaching experience and enters his 12th season in the NFL.

2016-2017 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Coordinator"

... Bc
    Wow totally missed that. As was said, if Pagano goes, he'll likely be an available option.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Brothers and Sisters, let us bow our heads and Pray that Brother Pees sees The Light and takes his so-justly deserved Retirement.
    Amen
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.