Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryan Shazier

Blog Entries

Re: Ryan Shazier

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I remember that as well. They had to perform a tracheotomy on him, correct?

I was just a little kid then, but I remember that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From what I remember it looked like a regular play. Utley was a guard and went forward to run block but hit his head low on a defensive lineman with the crown of his helmet. I think he was trying to put his head over the guy's shoulder. He just dropped like a heavy sack and he didn't move. That hit jammed his neck and Utley has been paralyzed from the waist down ever since. At the time he couldn't feel anything and everyone from the announcers to the crowd knew it was bad.

Dennis Byrd was similar. He was a DE and rushing the passer. The QB stepped forward and Byrd and another Jet teammate crashed into each other. Byrd's head was low and after the hit it was like someone flicked a switch. He just dropped and couldn't move. Years later he learned to walk again but died recently in a car accident.

Any player from any team with life altering injuries caused on this field are going to be supported and respected by the other players, announcers, coaches and fans. I have no problem with all the Shazier talk.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Any player from any team with life altering injuries caused on this field are going to be supported and respected by the other players, announcers, coaches and fans. I have no problem with all the Shazier talk.
    Right, even though there are million$ at stake, it's still just a game. Nobody wants (or should want) a player severely injured. When it does happen, as in Shazier's case, all my sympathy (yes, even to a Steeler) goes to the player and his family... Bc

I remember seeing Utley and Byrd live as well.

I also saw Reggie Brown get hurt live in the game where Barry Sanders broke 2,000 yards. Brown was motionless as well as he lost consciousness on the field briefly apparently when I looked up how he was doing.

It wound up being a spinal contusion, and he regained full movement and is living a normal life fortunately. Hopefully Shazier can do the same.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.