Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Church Shooting

Re: Church Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I guess it depends on what you pray for. I personally don't pray for things like that.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. What do you mean send aid?
    Ok, well I'm saying on the basis of people (and in particular politicians) who publicly say they send their prayers after these events, but nothing more when it is a gun based mass killing. The view of those on the left is that it seems they (politicians) have a double standard depending on the method used to do the killing. And the way it looks from that point of view, is that politicians receiving donations from the NRA (which to those on the left, is like the boogeyman institution that Planned Parenthood is to the right), don't want to bring up gun law debates because they don't want to lose their NRA donations.

I'm saying what good does it do in the overall scheme of things? It does more good for the person saying it than the person who is dead, and the future people who will be dead in a similar incident.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Ok, well I'm saying on the basis of people (and in particular politicians) who publicly say they send their prayers after these events, but nothing more when it is a gun based mass killing. The view of those on the left is that it seems they (politicians) have a double standard depending on the method used to do the killing. And the way it looks from that point of view, is that politicians receiving donations from the NRA (which to those on the left, is like the boogeyman institution that Planned Parenthood is to the right), don't want to bring up gun law debates because they don't want to lose their NRA donations.
    I wouldn't base my take off of anything a politician says or does

I'm saying what good does it do in the overall scheme of things? It does more good for the person saying it than the person who is dead, and the future people who will be dead in a similar incident.
    I guess it all depends on what you think the grand scheme of things is. But I don't think it's wrong for someone to pray for God to comfort those affected and pray/hope the souls that have departed are in heaven.

I guess it all depends on what you think the grand scheme of things is. But I don't think it's wrong for someone to pray for God to comfort those affected and pray/hope the souls that have departed are in heaven.
    There are indeed much better people and places to find as moral arbiters than politicians. The only worse people I can think of are people in real estate, but that's because I work in real estate.

I don't pretend to know what it all means, so I'm all for questioning all of it. And I think as long as your heart is in the right place and you aren't hurting people (or animals... except chickens... fuck them for being so delicious), it's all good, do what you want.

I just wanted to put a little perspective to the McKean quote.

Well put. I know my prayers in disaster tend to center on comfort to the people who are left behind.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sorry, I was raised Presbyterian and went to church regularly for 20+ years, so being dismissive based on my being "clearly not religious" is invalid.

Praying for someone else's eternal soul has no impact on whatever God decides at that point. They're dead. If their soul is in judgement, it's not gonna tip one way or the other based on what a complete stranger has to say.
    Well, your comments absolutely show you don't understand. It's totally valid.

Blog Entries

I don't pretend to know what it all means, so I'm all for questioning all of it.
    Me either my man. When I think about it, I usually start with why do I think we were created in the first place and go from there. Which in my mind, only Christianity has provided me the answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Well, your comments absolutely show you don't understand. It's totally valid.
    No, my comments show that what I learned doesn't necessarily agree with what you've learned in your own personal search for truth. There's a difference.

It's why there are countless denominations of Christianity (as well as other religions).

Me either my man. When I think about it, I usually start with why do I think we were created in the first place and go from there. Which in my mind, only Christianity has provided me the answer for.
    I'm totally for anyone finding peace any way they can. We live in a pretty hectic world.

I'm totally for anyone finding peace any way they can. We live in a pretty hectic world.
    And yet you blasted people for offering prayers, which could help those who survived or were affected find peace.

And yet you blasted people for offering prayers, which could help those who survived or were affected find peace.
    I provided the perspective behind the McKean comment to help find understanding in why someone would say that. I never "blasted" anyone.

I provided the perspective behind the McKean comment to help find understanding in why someone would say that. I never "blasted" anyone.

This is of course in response to all the people talking about sending prayers to the victims... like that's gonna help anything.
    I think it's pretty clear, whether you believe in a creator or not, that God had his chance here and is pretty firmly not stepping in. I mean, if he can't be bothered to show up in defense of these people worshipping him when they were being shot, what are the odds he's gonna listen to Judy in Omaha's request?

Those are strong sentiments about the uselessness of the actions of people 'sending prayers'.

This is of course in response to all the people talking about sending prayers to the victims... like that's gonna help anything.
    I think it's pretty clear, whether you believe in a creator or not, that God had his chance here and is pretty firmly not stepping in. I mean, if he can't be bothered to show up in defense of these people worshipping him when they were being shot, what are the odds he's gonna listen to Judy in Omaha's request?

Those are strong sentiments about the uselessness of the actions of people 'sending prayers'.
    Do you not agree that this provides a background to the logic fueling the comment McKean made?

EDIT: I'll also add that in writing that, I tried to put my comedian hat on and construct it as a joke, since he's a comedian. Whether one finds it funny or not, is well up for debate.
    Last edited by OhThePossibilities; 11-07-2017 at 04:28 PM.