Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Church Shooting

Blog Entries

Re: Church Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    General crime or gun crime?
    I would imagine gun crime is relatively low given the lack of availability (although, as proven in most major US Cities - strict gun laws don't eliminate gun violence/crime).

But crime, in general. Homicides, assaults, robbery, B&E's, rape...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would imagine gun crime is relatively low given the lack of availability (although, as proven in most major US Cities - strict gun laws don't eliminate gun violence/crime).

But crime, in general. Homicides, assaults, robbery, B&E's, rape...
    Crime in Canada went on a steady decline from the early 90's till about 2015. However, in the last 2 years there has been a slight increase in the trend.

To quote Stats Can: The police-reported Crime Severity Index (CSI), which measures the volume and severity of crime, increased 1% in 2016 over the previous year. This marked the second consecutive rise in the index following 11 years of declines. Even with this increase, the index is still 29% lower than it was in 2006.

CSI - The CSI is a measure of police-reported crime that reflects the relative seriousness of individual offences and tracks changes in crime severity. It indicates whether police-reported crime was relatively more or less serious than in previous years. For ease of interpretation, the index is converted to 100 for the base year of 2006.

However, the increase is being attributed mostly to the rise in charges of fraud.

In 2016 there was only 611 reports of homicide (1.70 homicides per 100,000 - obvioulsy important given Canada's extremely small population).

Bill C-26 was implemented in 2015 (The Tougher Penalties for Child Predators Act), so there of course an increase in sexual violations against children (thankfully, this bill gives more arrest powers). Overall, there were just over 6,900 reported incidents of sexual violations against children in 2016, a rate increase of 30% over 2015. The rate has been on an upward trend since 2010, when the first full year of data became available.

The trends are actually extremely interesting from a political perspective. In canada, the conservatives (centre-right) had been in power. They were known, like most conservatives are, for their tough on crime approach. During their time in power you saw the CSI decrease. The Liberals (Centre-left) in 2015 and we've seen a slight increase.

Being a crim major, I have former classmates who are now working at Public Safety Canada and there's a mixture of reasons why and most aren't related to policy changes, but moreso so increased funding to policing agencies, which I find very interesting. Could signal a lot of undereporting in Canada over the lat 20 years.

Rates:
    Homicide - 1.7 per 100,000
    Sexual Assault - 62.85 per 100,000
    violence criminal code (so the general violent crimes rate) 1190 per 100,000
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I beleive the gun crime rate is about 3.5 per 100,000, but I can't find Stats Can latest on it. 3.5 I'm pretty sure is 2012 data.

I do know in Ottawa it's been a serious problem this year (mostly gang-related firearm homicides).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I find it interesting to read comparing other cultures to ours.

We dont eat Tarantulas because weve never had to resort to eating insects in a relatively rich country. It was never necessary for our ancestors. Were one of the few nations that doesnt do that. While we look at that as odd, because of our culture, most of the world looks at our gun culture as odd... but why do we have it? Its necessary, because we were oppressed, and fought our way to freedom and it became ingrained into the fabric of who we are as a nation. That was used less for personal defense and more for a national defense, but because of our defense of the right and promotion of guns for uses other than militias and hunting has allowed a greater need for personal defense rather than national. I like the 2nd amendment, and stand by it, but I do look at these matters more subjectively because of that clear change.

Look at today... the same half of the nation that fights for that right, that happened because of oppression, is some of the same that are trying to silence those yelling about being oppressed now, because they dont like the peaceful way theyre doing it. the irony is pretty rich, imo. I guess if you take up arms and make a declaration of war against the oppressing nation, there would be more sympathy?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    In 2016 there was only 611 reports of homicide (1.70 homicides per 100,000 - obvioulsy important given Canada's extremely small population).
    Chicago might top that this year.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎