Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Samari Rolle's Accusations

I guess by now, we all know that the NFL is looking into the situation, in which Samari said ther ef was calling him "boy" throughout the game. I want to know how you guys feel about this? Is this more whining about a loss that shouldn't have been, or is this a justifiable allegation?

I do believe that refs jaw at us and other teams regularly, because they can and we can do nothing. But being as though the term isn't derogatory on the surface, is it worth the cause, or is this a principle situation?

Also, I've been reading people's comments from the article, who are registered to ESPN. People are really bold behind computers is all I'ma say to that.

One comment in particular stood out to me. A guys said that this was stupid and the Ravens are just a bad whiny team that is looking for something because they handed NE a win. The Steelers are winners who know how to finish games...

Yeah just like they did Miami and the Jets, huh?? OOPS!! They lost to the Jets **snicker**:insane:
    Waiting for the next one!!!

Re: Samari Rolle's Accusations

I think calling a Man of 31 years a "boy" is a derogatory on the surface. Samari summed it up well in his post game words. He is married with children, it's a complete lack of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think calling a Man of 31 years a "boy" is a derogatory on the surface. Samari summed it up well in his post game words. He is married with children, it's a complete lack of respect.
    I guess I should rephrase it. On the surface, meaning, profane language.

I personally think that if he is offended, he has every right to file a complaint. But I've been reading that it isn't that bad and that the ref was black, so it wasn't racial. I definitely don't understand these types of comments, yet people think this is a scapegoat for our loss.

Two totally different topics that folks are trying to roll up in one
    Waiting for the next one!!!

When I heard this I couldn't believe that a ref would do this. If I did this on my job I would be fired. I just think this is another example that the NFL needs full time refs and not part time refs. With as big as the NFL is you would think they would have full time refs. I think this is the only major sports that doesn't.

I hope Rolle holds his position and gets this non professional ref out of the NFL.

I think the league should deal with the offending referee, and yes, to a black man being called "boy" is derogatory and demeaning and should not be tolerated. That said, if our players want to be regarded as "men" then perhaps it would behoove them to act like men and not spoiled children. Bart Scott's behavior was just childish as was Ogden's tantrum on the sideline. They played a great game and could have enhanced their image as a team in this less than stellar season but instead they are carrying on like spoiled brats who had their favorite toy taken away. It makes them look and sound like poor losers who can't take responsibility for their failure to win the game. Personally, I'm sick of their antics, they are out of control IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFanIAm View Post
    I guess I should rephrase it. On the surface, meaning, profane language.

I personally think that if he is offended, he has every right to file a complaint. But I've been reading that it isn't that bad and that the ref was black, so it wasn't racial. I definitely don't understand these types of comments, yet people think this is a scapegoat for our loss.

Two totally different topics that folks are trying to roll up in one
    Just because the ref was black doesn't mean its not racial. I'm black, and let me tell you one of the things that hurts the most is when someone of your own race uses a racial term to you (i.e. boy, monkey, big lips etc.). I don't think the ref meant it that way, but he was definitly trying to get into Rolle's head. Hell it seemed he got into the whole defenses head. It isn't a scapegoat for our loss. But I do believe it was a contributing factor amongst other things like Boller's pick, NE defense stopping the run on two straight possessions, the timeout, and penalties.

And it is that bad. The refs shouldn't talk to the players period. Outside of a player complaining "Hey I got held there!", I can understand a quick to the point reply like, "No you wasn't" or "I look for it more now on." This ref should be fired. Did you see when Ray was holding back Bart, that ref was yelling back at Bart. That is not excusable. All the more reason the NFL needs to stop having these part time refs and hire full term refs.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    I think the league should deal with the offending referee, and yes, to a black man being called "boy" is derogatory and demeaning and should not be tolerated.
    I don't think it applies specifically to race....I wouldn't like someone calling me that either. It also can not be labled a race issue because I believe the official was Black as well. If not then I apologize for the inaccuracies

I'm with Ravenator, "boy" is not an insult to a particular race.

I got to thinking about it after I heard what was going on and calling a grown man a, "boy", is asking him to fight you.

I've got close friends I hang out with like y'all. We call each other retards, homos, butt-monkeys, etc. All guys who are friends insult each other, it's our nature. I've never called one of them a, "boy", though and they've never called me one. They're my boys, sure. That's different than calling one a boy.

To call someone a boy is to demean his manhood. It's that simple.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Calling a black man a "boy" has everything to do with race. While I see how it could be degrading to anyone, the true power of that statement comes from a historical context. Something was very off with those refs, and I'm starting to see what.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dade
    Just because the ref was black doesn't mean its not racial.
    I agree -- I'm somewhat surprised at this attitude that basically says "Hey, since the official was black, then it's okay." Umm, no, I don't think it is.

The ref in question should and probably will be disciplined in some fashion, but in typical NFL fashion, it will be so secretive we won't even know about it.

Repeatedly calling someone 'boy' either Black / White or any colour in between is intended to offend.

Calling it to a 'black' person is very offensive - and intended to be so!!!

Both the Ref and Rolle are black men. MEN. This is not a race issue, it is a respect issue. The refs in this league are like the gunslingers of the wild west. They get the last word all the time. If you fight with them, they put a few slugs in ya.

Regardless of the accusations, our team needs to focus and learn to shrug off comments made by officials and by teams. Do not get a penalty(or multiple) based on emotion.

I am sure this will be swept under the rug though. Nothing will come of it.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!