Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Samari Rolle's Accusations

There is too much talking going on that is totally unneccessary. Taunting, insults, bullying, etc. does not enhance the game. Talk to your teammates about strategy, the next play, what to expect, etc. Leave the officials alone and go play ball. In other words, SHUT UP!!!

I agree and yet disagree at the same time. The officials need to check themselves too.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenator View Post
    I don't think it applies specifically to race....I wouldn't like someone calling me that either. It also can not be labled a race issue because I believe the official was Black as well. If not then I apologize for the inaccuracies
    While you are correct that calling anyone "boy" is offensive it is a particular insult to black men because of the history. Yes, this official was a black man, and a former NFL player, in my view this only makes it worse as he should have clearly undrstood the nuances of what he was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Both the Ref and Rolle are black men. MEN. This is not a race issue, it is a respect issue. The refs in this league are like the gunslingers of the wild west. They get the last word all the time. If you fight with them, they put a few slugs in ya.

Regardless of the accusations, our team needs to focus and learn to shrug off comments made by officials and by teams. Do not get a penalty(or multiple) based on emotion. I am sure this will be swept under the rug though. Nothing will come of it.
    I have been saying all season that the Ravens do entirely to much yapping. This is a prime example of the outcome of it, they get themselves so amped up that they are borderline out of control all the time then when something happens they go over the edge. This team, particularily the defense, lacks composure. I think other teams take delight in baiting them knowing they are always ready to go off. We are the second most penalized team in the NFL and while many of them are procedure type penalties many of them are just the kind of unnecessary idiocy we saw Monday night. This isn't the first time one of our players has had two major (15 yarders) penalties on the same damn play. IMO that is uncalled for and embarrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN
    I have been saying all season that the Ravens do entirely to much yapping.
    No arguement here, but that still doesn't excuse the official's conduct. This wasn't a case of an opposing player trying to bait a Raven into doing something stupid, it was a ref!

I am not condoning Bart's overreaction, but an NFL official should absolutely not be talking trash to a player on any team. Who do they think they are, major league umpires?

6. Re: Samari Rolle's Accusations

"The refs shouldn't talk to the players period"

I think the whole rolle thing hints of whining since we lost, if we won would even hear about out??

BUT i do agree that refs shouldnt be talking with players, if they are suppose to a neutral party and are getting into bantering back and forth, its hard to say the ref isnt going to be biased in some calls. if this "boy" comment came up once id be like, ok one time heat of the mement, but per rolle it continued.

Refs should ignore players, if a player gets into them, you get a warning not a comment, the player does it again, warn him of ejection...still not a coment. With the whole nba refs thing it makes you wonder sometimes.
    Season ticket holder since 1996 Section 148 Tailgate Lot H
    See my photos and video at www.bmoreravens.com

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    No arguement here, but that still doesn't excuse the official's conduct. This wasn't a case of an opposing player trying to bait a Raven into doing something stupid, it was a ref!

I am not condoning Bart's overreaction, but an NFL official should absolutely not be talking trash to a player on any team. Who do they think they are, major league umpires?
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean my response to indicate I felt it was an excuse for the official's conduct. It wasn't, there is no ecuse for any official to be jawing at and baiting players on any team. I will be interested to see if the no balls league will actually take any action against him. My bet is nothing happens.
    My comment was just a reflection of my feeling that the Ravens bring out the worst in everyone they share the field with because of their big mouths and arrogance - arrogance that has been pretty much unjustified all season until Monday night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    I think the league should deal with the offending referee, and yes, to a black man being called "boy" is derogatory and demeaning and should not be tolerated. That said, if our players want to be regarded as "men" then perhaps it would behoove them to act like men and not spoiled children. Bart Scott's behavior was just childish as was Ogden's tantrum on the sideline. They played a great game and could have enhanced their image as a team in this less than stellar season but instead they are carrying on like spoiled brats who had their favorite toy taken away. It makes them look and sound like poor losers who can't take responsibility for their failure to win the game. Personally, I'm sick of their antics, they are out of control IMO.
    Good post and I couldn't agree more......that being said, if he was called "boy" then you tell the coach and approach the head referee during a TV timeout and tell him that a derogatory term has been used towards one of your players by the specific referee. This makes it "official" and you go about your business of playing football! Rational human beings don't(shouldn't) act this way in public and they should act like men and handle it after the game in an official capacity.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    if he was called "boy" then you tell the coach and approach the head referee during a TV timeout and tell him that a derogatory term has been used towards one of your players by the specific referee. This makes it "official" and you go about your business of playing football! Rational human beings don't(shouldn't) act this way in public and they should act like men and handle it after the game in an official capacity.....
    Bingo!!!!!

Thank god the ref was black otherwise Rev. Jesse and Sharpton would be all over his a$$.

Plus I heard today that Rolle told him he never played football, etc but they said this ref did play in the NFL for a few different teams.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    While you are correct that calling anyone "boy" is offensive it is a particular insult to black men because of the history.
    Don't get me wrong, I was just saying that its offensive to all people. Yes there is history with the term as far as the African American population goes I was just making the point that its degrading to anyone.

Use of the word "boy" when addressing another man is demeaning, *particularly* to a black man, but it's just demeaning and obnoxious to anybody. I would even say it's a fighting word.

It's a no-brainer. Any official who uses language like that when dealing with players should be fired. Mindful that, in the real world, stuff like that doesn't happen just because I say it's a no-brainer, disciplinary action will probably be behind closed doors.

On a related matter, obviously the players are talking too much, and some (ahem, Bart) handled it poorly in-game. Hopefully they will get their stuff together in time for Indy.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.