Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens drafts pre and post harbaugh (also post super bowl)

The one selection that sticks with me to this day, as a sign that it no longer all comes down to ozzie, is the Kamalei Correa selection. In no world do I see Ozzie passing up Noah Spence.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by CryptoRaven View Post
    From the Ravens site - Sarah Ellison 'Late For Work' had some interesting points to make regarding the raiding of our scouting department:

The Most Under-Discussed Factor on the Ravens’ Recent Draft Classes

It happens every year on cue, and it’s usually widely reported.

A couple NFL teams fire their general managers, then subsequently request to interview Ravens Assistant General Manager Eric DeCosta. He declines. Baltimore keeps its GM-in-waiting along with Ozzie Newsome. All is well
    But there have been plenty of other changes in the Ravens’ scouting department, and they’ve been underreported. The effect that The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec says those changes have had on the team is evident to many, but few have connected the dots.

[T]he most under-discussed factor in the Ravens’ falling into the throes of mediocrity — they are 40-40 in the regular season since their Super Bowl victory — is how many quality talent evaluators they’ve lost in recent years,” wrote The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec. “The trend started before the Super Bowl as teams would come every offseason and look to pluck from one of the more well-respected front offices in the NFL.
    “However, the departures have seemingly taken a toll and could go a long way in explaining why the Ravens haven’t drafted as well lately under General Manager Ozzie Newsome.”

A number of those talent evaluators have gone to the Philadelphia Eagles, as Garrett Downing points out in the video to the right. It includes Eagles Vice President of Player Personnel Joe Douglas, Assistant Director of Player Personnel Andy Weidl and Director of College Scouting Ian Cunningham. They also have T.J. McCreight, a player personnel executive.

Douglas was with the Ravens for 15 years and had a hand in drafting players such as Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, Pernell McPhee and Lardarius Webb. Over an 11-year span, Weidl scouted Kyle Juszczyk, Haloti Ngata, Arthur Jones, Torrey Smith and Timmy Jernigan. Last year, Douglas nabbed the two other former Ravens scouts on his staff in Cunningham, who spent nine years in Baltimore, and McCreight, who was here for eight.

Zrebiec points out the Ravens have also lost NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah and Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage.

She must have stolen the info from here. This was talked about last week. Us Die Hard fans know this, we know all the scouts we have lost and the current Eagles Success is tied some of that. They also signed the right free agents in the offseason. Alshon and Torrey are good additions to the roster and Alshon is proving his worth.

Ozzie problem isn't solely on the lost scouts, he is spending and wasting valueable resources on the wrong positions and wrong talent.

Brandon Williams Case in point. 5 years 53 mill for a part time player who "DIDNT STOP THE RUN" Didn't do it last year either. This teams run defense was still gashed for a ton of yardage. 15th in the league for all that money on 1 part time player. He doesn't rush the QB, doesn't touch the ball

Vs Philly who spent a hell of a lot less money on Alshon and Torrey who touch the ball, score points and win games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one selection that sticks with me to this day, as a sign that it no longer all comes down to ozzie, is the Kamalei Correa selection. In no world do I see Ozzie passing up Noah Spence.
    Noah spence? He passed on Myles Jack. He was there and we traded back and the guy we took Eugen Elumanor probably will never amount to anyting.

So we passed on a top 5 talent in the 2nd round for 2 guys who will never help this team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Noah spence? He passed on Myles Jack. He was there and we traded back and the guy we took Eugen Elumanor probably will never amount to anyting.

So we passed on a top 5 talent in the 2nd round for 2 guys who will never help this team
    He passed on both. He had a chance to take either one and traded back.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Can't believe we were above another team in this regard. Wow.
    Yes, but look at who (Atlanta. New England ). The two teams in the last Super Bowl... Bc

Aha! Thanks for pointing that out. I have some mining to do... on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I like NE's aggressive nature on going after guys that actually fit their system, must be nice.

I also like have they have no issue trading for players
    Have to have a consistent system first.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Might as well expect WR's to catch passes if we are gonna hope for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Great thread. Being far from the Ravens' epicenter it's hard to keep up with the finer details. There's been a lot of talk about the organization's aversion to "Alpha" players. I say Jensen is our #1 candidate to be the team's model Alpha going forward. Let's see how hard we work to keep him. He's a solid player; more important, he embodies "Play Like a Raven." (Sure, Yanda and Sizzle and maybe Weddle are Alphas, but all are near the end. Will the FO work to replace them?)
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

That's the point I've been harping on. It's good to see someone else pointing it out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So think that's Harbaugh or Decosta?

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post

What? Those are two players from different drafts.