Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lose Out?

Blog Entries

Re: Lose Out?

The idea with tanking is that the players cannot afford to do so in any way. This result would likely mean a new Head Coach. Head Coaches tend to come in, wanting to clean house and bring in their own guys. Put their stamp on the team. Very few players would be safe.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I do not like to lose out. It shows a team that gives up and has no pride. If we go 5 - 11 or 6 - 10, so be it. The Browns lose out just about every season and even with yearly multiple high draft picks, they stink up the joint. Is that what you want for our Ravens? ... Bc
    Yessir. I hate seeing the team lose too much to be comfortable with tanking.

Besides

C.J. Mosley - 17th pick
    Joe Flacco - 18th pick
    Ed Reed - 24th pick
    Ray Lewis - 26th pick
    Jimmy Smith - 27th pick
    Ben Grubbs - 29th pick
    Todd Heap - 31st pick

It's entirely possible to keep drafting well even if you're winning.

Blog Entries

Honestly, once the Ravens get better coaching and better philosophies, the drafts will improve.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Humphrey looks good and so does Stanley.
    And Perriman and Elam and pretty much every 2nd round pick since Ray a Rice are crap. No sure thing from this group

The coaches and the team can't plan to lose out to get a pick. The players are playing for their livelihood. Most players are playing for their next contract. Losing out is what the Fans want when they want higher pick or a regime change. Nobody in their right mind is going to ask coaches an players to fail on purpose.

Blog Entries

They're gonna beat Miami

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

They aren't going to need to tank intentionally. I don't know if they'll lose out but I only see 2 or 3 more "maybe" wins on the schedule, one of which is Thursday. Obviously I don't see them going 7-2 the rest of the way to put them in playoff contention, so I'm okay with losing if that's what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I wish they'd think more realistically
    If that is your thought process - you are not a professional. Players play to WIN the game, only disgruntled 'fans' want them to lose.

Blog Entries

even if they wanted to lose out they don't have put much effort in it, I don't see this team winning anoher game the way they are playing, the injuries and coaching. They might get lucky and catch some team who is in a worse predicament at some point this season and get one win or two but this team is 5-6 win team.

There is such thing as a "losing culture" and a "winning culture." Yes, on draft day you wish that you were 0-16, but every other day of the year, you wish that you had won every game that you could. And really, you're going to pile on losses to your franchise to pick a player who might not even pan out? You get better as a franchise by winning. 6-10 is better than 4-12, 8-8 is better than 6-10, going to the play-offs is better than 8-8, and going deep into the play-offs is better than choking in the first round. Its easy math. Success breeds success. If you want to win in the future, the time is now.

Now, that's from an X's and O's perspective. I have nothing against making front office decisions that could help the team in the future that might not lead to as many wins now. Like investing in youth, trading aging players for draft picks, cutting players with bloated contracts - taking the cap penalties - to clear them from the books for the future, refusing to sign contract year wonders to bloated contracts, trading away picks for future picks when you get great trade offers, stuff like that.

I will never root against my team just for a draft pick. But when we're 5-10, and I KNOW that we're not going to win on week 17.... I might want to go hiking or go to the beach that day anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    even if they wanted to lose out they don't have put much effort in it, I don't see this team winning anoher game the way they are playing, the injuries and coaching. They might get lucky and catch some team who is in a worse predicament at some point this season and get one win or two but this team is 5-6 win team.
    Exactly,

I don't see this team intentionally tanking. I don't think they are capable of winning is the more realistic approach.

Nothing will change,

Every game will start, the Ravens will be playing from behind the entire game much like every game for the past 5 years. They will continue to throw 3-4 yrd passes, try run the ball and barely get to mid field before Tucker kicks another 50+ yard FG

Harbaugh will continue to stand there with the Deer in the headlights look on his face, after every game praise what ever team just kicked our ass and blame it on execution.