Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone else feeling almost total apathy and disinterest in the Ravens/NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    And how does kneeling BEFORE standing for the Anthem disrespect the flag? It's just more nonsense right wing spin to keep you from examining the uncomfortable problem they are trying to shed light on
    +1

That should completely eliminate the disrespect of the flag issue

Ratings last night were up 12% over the previous week and 26% over last year. I know a lot of people said they would no longer watch NFL games because of this issue but the ratings are saying the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    +1

Ratings last night were up 12% over the previous week and 26% over last year. I know a lot of people said they would no longer watch NFL games because of this issue but the ratings are saying the opposite.
    Ratings would have bounced back due to Brady hero-worship, a good matchup, and, in particular, the fizzling out of the player protest disruption, reducing from 180 to 52 in one week.

Were you at the stadium last Sunday? Although the Ravens didn't completely rid us of the protest issue, it was at least neutralized by allowing a team prayer before the National Anthem - for which all players stood for this time. Many fans, myself included, who had been about to dump their season tickets, are at least pausing in hope that it will all be over soon.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

College football is way more fun to watch and its not even close. To me, the entire league, not just the Ravens, looks like watered-down, risk-averse football. The true innovations happen at the college level and its much more enjoyable to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    College football is way more fun to watch and its not even close. To me, the entire league, not just the Ravens, looks like watered-down, risk-averse football. The true innovations happen at the college level and its much more enjoyable to watch.
    I mean sort of. College is "innovative" because the talent pool is so much weaker, and because the defenses are miles behind the offenses.

Its not translating to the Pro Level in most cases, though. NFL requires a lot more discipline and actual on-field thinking and adjustments.

Coaching plays a much bigger role in the College game.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    +1

FAKE NEWS!

No seriously though... In our bubble of ravens fans, we will hear stories about how "Im never watching again, How dare they.. .blah blah"

Reality is the biggest issue is that we have not been a Playoff contender, and we are boring to watch.

The NFL as a whole is really exciting. And when playoffs roll around no one from winning cities will be complaining.

As a side note... I actually think the ratings are going to sky rocket when brady retires....there are a ton of young QBs with talent, but the NFL still feels like its Brady and then everyone else to the public

I just realized -- my son-in-law is a fantasy football nut; apparently makes over $1,000 each season. He used to call me every week to see if I could give him any tips on hot Ravens he could play. He doesn't call anymore.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

7. Re: Anyone else feeling almost total apathy and disinterest in the Ravens/NFL?

Embodying the definition of insanity season after season will make you lose hope, and thus interest.
    Then throw in all the political tomfoolery and you get 2017.

Anyone else feeling almost total apathy and disinterest in the Ravens/NFL?

From a purely logical rational standpoint, it makes zero sense to root for the Ravens. They’re horrible entertainment to watch, they’re not offering discounted tickets or anything for their substandard quality entertainment. If anything they actually make your day WORSE than if you’d done anything else, so it’s like an active misuse of your time. Raises blood pressure and negative feelings so it might actually be physically bad for you. There are so many more entertaining football teams out there.

So we are left with the illogical and irrational reasons that are basically our hearts. And that’s why we keep watching even as we feel disinterest. We are in an unequal relationship. We are investing our hearts and passion, and not seeing the passion come back. So... like any unequal relationship, the fire goes out, you grow apathetic, and eventually it’ll die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I just realized -- my son-in-law is a fantasy football nut; apparently makes over $1,000 each season. He used to call me every week to see if I could give him any tips on hot Ravens he could play. He doesn't call anymore.
    no ravens are hot lol

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I'm surprised he ever called in the first place. We've had some very good teams, but never really any valuable fantasy players that I remember. Maybe Testeverde if you didn't lose points for fumbles. Ray Rice and Jamal Lewis would probably be the only others.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I'm surprised he ever called in the first place. We've had some very good teams, but never really any valuable fantasy players that I remember. Maybe Testeverde if you didn't lose points for fumbles. Ray Rice and Jamal Lewis would probably be the only others.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    We’ve had some great fantasy TE play. Shannon Sharpe, Todd Heap, Dennis Pitta, and now Ben Watson is a popular play.

We’ve had decent fantasy running backs, two all time greats (Rice and Lewis) and McGahee had a good stretch. Buck Allen is getting some fantasy love this year as is Alex Collins.

Mason and SSR were steady performers for a stretch too.

And, of course, the Ravens defense turned in some amazing fantasy performances as have their kickers over the years.

If you were playing fantasy way back when, Michael Jackson and Derrick Alexander were absolute studs.

So yeah, there’s plenty of fantasy value, even in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post

LOL, Testeverde and Jamal Lewis! That goes back so far as to when I had hair, and most of my teeth too... Bc