Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Ghost to the Post" - 40 Years Later

A friend is writing a book on the final years of the Baltimore Colts. Today we published part 1 of an excerpt from that book, on The Ghost from the Post game, back on Christmas Eve 1977.

Thought some of you may be interested in reading it.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2017...-haunts-colts/

If you have any personal stories from that game, I'd love to hear them as well.

Re: "Ghost to the Post" - 40 Years Later

Quote Originally Posted by NestMinder View Post
    A friend is writing a book on the final years of the Baltimore Colts. Today we published part 1 of an excerpt from that book, on The Ghost from the Post game, back on Christmas Eve 1977.

Thought some of you may be interested in reading it.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2017...-haunts-colts/

If you have any personal stories from that game, I'd love to hear them as well.
    What I remember most was that game was not televised in Baltimore due to blackout restrictions (not selling out) and listening on the radio with the great broadcasting team of Thompson/Bagli. The same thing happened in 1975 against the Dolphins with the division on the line, we won 10-7, at the time really was disappointed on having to listen on the radio but years later really appreciated the radio works of Thompson/Bagli, they made you feel like you were part of the game.

I have very vague memories of Vince Bagli on the news in the 80's/early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    What I remember most was that game was not televised in Baltimore due to blackout restrictions (not selling out) and listening on the radio with the great broadcasting team of Thompson/Bagli. The same thing happened in 1975 against the Dolphins with the division on the line, we won 10-7, at the time really was disappointed on having to listen on the radio but years later really appreciated the radio works of Thompson/Bagli, they made you feel like you were part of the game.
    Me as well. I was hanging on every word Chuck said on the radio and man, what a play by play guy he was. Those that never were able to hear him call a football game missed a treat.

One of the interesting things if I recall correctly was that Oakland had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation. I think they were on the 1 or 2 yard line and opted to kick a FG to tie with seconds left on 4th down. I remember being relieved because Stabler was ripping through the Colts at that point and I felt like we dodged a bullet.

Of course, when Chuck called the Casper TD in 2OT massive amounts of air went out the balloon. I remember being in a bad mood the whole day Christmas. They replayed the game that day.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Was it Charley Ekstein or Vince Bagley who blurted out the Heisman trophy winner early on the air many years ago? The networks told the affiliates who was the winner early so they could pull film and have it ready when they made the official announcements. Had to be early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Me as well. I was hanging on every word Chuck said on the radio and man, what a play by play guy he was. Those that never were able to hear him call a football game missed a treat.

One of the interesting things if I recall correctly was that Oakland had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation. I think they were on the 1 or 2 yard line and opted to kick a FG to tie with seconds left on 4th down. I remember being relieved because Stabler was ripping through the Colts at that point and I felt like we dodged a bullet.

Of course, when Chuck called the Casper TD in 2OT massive amounts of air went out the balloon. I remember being in a bad mood the whole day Christmas. They replayed the game that day.
    I think it was the first overtime Jones had Raymond Chester wide open down the left side & overthrew him, probably would have been tackled around the 20 if Chester makes the catch, but back then first score wins. Would have been a great Christmas with Colts probably winning 34-31.

Was at in-laws home in Ohio - Ghost ripped my heart out!

Blog Entries

Exactly. We had to listen to it on the radio. That's about all I remember of it; that, and how disappointed my parents were when we lost.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post

Chuck Thompson was the best I have ever heard, better by far than even the national guys from then or any time. He could paint the picture of the field and play in your mind, giving you the information as it happened. You could see it play out in your mind. Just fantastic technician who also had the pipes for radio. Outstanding voice. We were truly blessed to have him doing Os and Colts.

I was at the game. I was 14 at the time. The game went back and forth and though we were getting shreaded, IIRC, it was some defensive plays that kept us in it, like the Bruce Laird INT returned for a TD. I also remembering Bert Jones just missing Raymond Chester for what would have been a huge gain or quite possibly long TD to win it. It was crushing but I knew I had witnessed a fantastic game even with that ending. It was and still is a classic.

I think it was the first overtime Jones had Raymond Chester wide open down the left side & overthrew him, probably would have been tackled around the 20 if Chester makes the catch, but back then first score wins. Would have been a great Christmas with Colts probably winning 34-31.
    Chester was so wide open that even I could have hit him. No defender within ten yards. Jones just never spotted him.

That was my last game as a Colt season ticket holder, as I moved away the following season. Very disappointed the way that season ended.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

One of the greatest games of all time. NFL Network had a special on it a couple of years back that was fantastic. Hopefully they replay it soon

Man, I'm getting old.

I attended that game with my old man. I was 9 years old. I remember how salty he was afterwards and at the time didn't understand why a football game would make a grown man so upset.

It took me a few years but I learned exactly what he was feeling that day, especially when they left town in the middle of the night.