Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 27
  1. #13

    Re: It's the Division stupid.



    Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    I mean just about every season the Ravens go through their "rock bottom" phase, where they seemingly are a bad football team that can't beat anybody. Even happened in 2012.

    So, in theory, if their rock bottom phase is September/Early October, maybe that bodes well for late in the season.

    Or maybe we don't win another game. Who the hell knows at this point.
    are you comparing the talent on the 2012 team to this one?





  2. #14

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    are you comparing the talent on the 2012 team to this one?
    No, but that's not the only season that happened in either. It was just an example of how it does seem to happen pretty consistently.

    2013 we lost 4 out of 5 in a stretch, including losses to Cleveland and Chicago on the road. Rock bottom is losing to the Browns after your bye week, which is what we did. We then rattled off 4 straight wins.

    2014 we lose back to back road division games against Cincinnati (where Joe was terrible) and Pittsburgh (where they threw 6 TDs against us). Rebound to win 5 out of 7 (3 out of last 4) to finish.

    2015 was just a total trainwreck.

    2016 we start 3-0, then lose 4 straight, hitting rock bottom with pathetic offensive displays against the Redskins and getting manhandled by the Jets. We then won 4 of our next 5, including 3 divisional home games, and looked pretty good in them.

    If there's one thing I've learned watching this team under Harbaugh, they are incredibly streaky. The lows are rarely as bad as they seem, and the highs are rarely as good as they seem.





  3. Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    No, but that's not the only season that happened in either. It was just an example of how it does seem to happen pretty consistently.

    2013 we lost 4 out of 5 in a stretch, including losses to Cleveland and Chicago on the road. Rock bottom is losing to the Browns after your bye week, which is what we did. We then rattled off 4 straight wins.

    2014 we lose back to back road division games against Cincinnati (where Joe was terrible) and Pittsburgh (where they threw 6 TDs against us). Rebound to win 5 out of 7 (3 out of last 4) to finish.

    2015 was just a total trainwreck.

    2016 we start 3-0, then lose 4 straight, hitting rock bottom with pathetic offensive displays against the Redskins and getting manhandled by the Jets. We then won 4 of our next 5, including 3 divisional home games, and looked pretty good in them.

    If there's one thing I've learned watching this team under Harbaugh, they are incredibly streaky. The lows are rarely as bad as they seem, and the highs are rarely as good as they seem.
    That streakiness is why they've been mostly .500 since the SB.





  4. #16

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's not happening. The Steelers will win this one going away. They were without some good players yesterday but unlike us these guys aren't on IR. They're going to be back and the Steelers are going to steamroll this division. No other AFC North team with be within 3 games of them by the time it's over
    or at least it's theirs to lose. They never even used 3rd gear vs. us on Sunday, while we'd need lots of luck and playing above our heads to win this division.





  5. #17

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    That streakiness is why they've been mostly .500 since the SB.
    Well, sort of. That streakiness extends back past this period of .500 play, so I can't see that's necessarily the case.

    2008: lose 3 straight, then come back and win 4 straight, 7 out of 8, and 9 out of last 11.
    2009: Start 3-0, lose 3 straight after that.

    The only times you really don't see this are in 10-11. Even in 11 though, with probably our best team since the original SB run, you had some horrific road losses. Still couldn't figure out on a week to week basis which team was going to show up.





  6. #18

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Someone commented that the Steelers will win the division going away.

    Who still thinks this?

    I was able to lock down on Cincinnati to win the division at a generous 8-1. I love this wager.





  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    5,716
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    I think Cincy may be the team to beat at this point. The Steelers have issues, Ben and the offense hasn't looked right and their run defense is horrendous. I'm not sold on the Ravens being good, so that leaves Cincy, who may be rounding back into form now and seems like the most complete of any of the division teams. If the Ravens can string together 2-3 more performances like Sunday, I'll be a believer in them. But for now I'd probably go with Cincy.





  8. #20

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Look at the games that have already been played and the tiebreakers. The Steelers might not be great, but they already beat us at home. They will probably beat us at the ketchup field, and that would probably be insurmountable with the tiebreaker. Same with the Bengals, as we beat them at in Cinci.





  9. #21

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    I know the results of those games you mention, but if you are watching the games, what do you see?

    Eye test. Still see a team that runs away with the Division as suggested by GOTA.

    I don't, I see a team that may be in worse shape than my lousy Ravens.





  10. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    near Asheville, NC
    Posts
    2,328

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think Cincy may be the team to beat at this point. The Steelers have issues, Ben and the offense hasn't looked right and their run defense is horrendous. I'm not sold on the Ravens being good, so that leaves Cincy, who may be rounding back into form now and seems like the most complete of any of the division teams. If the Ravens can string together 2-3 more performances like Sunday, I'll be a believer in them. But for now I'd probably go with Cincy.
    Still a game behind with a home loss vs the Ravens. The two teams play again week 17.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    Look at the games that have already been played and the tiebreakers. The Steelers might not be great, but they already beat us at home. They will probably beat us at the ketchup field, and that would probably be insurmountable with the tiebreaker. Same with the Bengals, as we beat them at in Cinci.
    CLE - Baltimore (W), Cincinnati (W), Pittsburgh (W)
    JAX - Baltimore (L), Cincinnati (tbd), Pittsburgh (L)
    HOU - Baltimore (tbd), Cincinnati (L), Pittsburgh (tbd)
    TEN - no games
    IND - no games
    AFC E - Baltimore (tbd), Cincinnati (W), Pittsburgh (tbd)
    AFC W - Baltimore (W), Cincinnati (tbd), Pittsburgh (tbd)

    The least important games of the season are the four against the NFC. Pittsburgh's played two (1-1), Cincy one (0-1) and Baltimore none, though they get their first this week.

    Next game for the Steelers is on the road vs 5-0 Kansas City and it is important for them now that the Ravens have beaten Oakland. It's also important to note that Pittsburgh draws New England while Cincy just beat Buffalo and Baltimore gets to play Miami.

    Cincy gets a bye this week, followed by a game at Pittsburgh, which is obviously huge for both teams.





  11. #23

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    I'm thinking that a QB that toyed with retirement preseason, and has stated that 'maybe he doesn't have it anymore' even if in jest......is not the qb of a team that will fulfill its lofty playoff aspirations. That worries me as much if not more than his 5 pick performance and loss of mobility and accuracy.

    But those are concerns as well, especially for a guy who earned his living creating plays outside of the pocket. He can't get to the spots where he used to make plays. Not looking good. At least Dalton is still Dalton, Who has won divisions.





  12. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    near Asheville, NC
    Posts
    2,328

    Re: It's the Division stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    I'm thinking that a QB that toyed with retirement preseason, and has stated that 'maybe he doesn't have it anymore' even if in jest......is not the qb of a team that will fulfill its lofty playoff aspirations. That worries me as much if not more than his 5 pick performance and loss of mobility and accuracy.

    But those are concerns as well, especially for a guy who earned his living creating plays outside of the pocket. He can't get to the spots where he used to make plays. Not looking good. At least Dalton is still Dalton, Who has won divisions.
    We'll see after Kansas City. That's just the kind of game Pittsburgh has no business winning but does anyway.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland