Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    And so it begins



    Joel Ward, who is Canadian and one of about 30 black players currently in the NHL, told the San Jose Mercury News that protesting during "The Star Spangled Banner" is "definitely something I wouldn't cross out."

    If you aren't going to respect your own anthem how can you expect anyone else to? America as the shining city on the hill is dead.





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    9,276

    Re: And so it begins

    Great, now it's become a fad. Kinda like twerking...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin





  3. #3

    Re: And so it begins






  4. #4

    Re: And so it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    "totally different"... "Back then they had a reason to complain, everything is fine now"

    /s...but just wait...these will be the thinly veiled excuses





  5. #5

    Re: And so it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    "totally different"... "Back then they had a reason to complain, everything is fine now"

    /s...but just wait...these will be the thinly veiled excuses
    Whatever, if you want to have a real discussion about statistics and what needs to be done there are plenty of people on both the right and left willing to have that discussion.

    But how are you supposed to have a discussion with someone with their fist in the air or who is kneeling during our anthem who can't even articulate what they want to get from kneeling other then world peace, end all wars, oh and end racism in America.

    It's like those morons who held up bring our children home on twitter. It's all self gratification preening they want to bathe in the glowing praise of the left having done something when in fact they've done nothing.





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    48

    Re: And so it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Whatever, if you want to have a real discussion about statistics and what needs to be done there are plenty of people on both the right and left willing to have that discussion.

    But how are you supposed to have a discussion with someone with their fist in the air or who is kneeling during our anthem who can't even articulate what they want to get from kneeling other then world peace, end all wars, oh and end racism in America.
    I suppose it's just assumed that you are able to watch the news and see the videos of black people being shot by police. If you aren't paying attention then you wouldn't understand why they are protesting. Some things you may want note if you are interested as to why the protests are happening:

    Freddie Gray - Died after being taken into custody - No convictions
    Walter Scott - Shot in the back while running away - No convictions for murder even after the policeman admitted guilt
    Eric Harris - Shot while he was laying on the ground - Found guilty of second degree manslaughter, 4 years
    Rumain Brisbon - Unarmed, shot while reaching for a bottle - No charges
    Tamir Rice - 12 year old shot because he had a toy gun - No convictions

    There's a lot more, it goes on and on and I suspect everyone knows it. People are dying, no one is taking responsibility for the deaths and yet everyone is angry because black athletes aren't standing for a striped cloth while a magical song plays in order to protect our freedoms.

    It's a flag, a symbol of our freedom just like the national anthem. These athletes are exercising their rights to protest the actions of police that are affecting their freedoms to survive.

    Seems pretty mild to me.
    Last edited by MyTurn; 09-29-2017 at 05:53 PM.





  7. #7

    Re: And so it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by MyTurn View Post
    I suppose it's just assumed that you are able to watch the news and see the videos of black people being shot by police. If you aren't paying attention then you wouldn't understand why they are protesting. Some things you may want note if you are interested as to why the protests are happening:

    Freddie Gray - Died after being taken into custody - No convictions
    Walter Scott - Shot in the back while running away - No convictions for murder even after the policeman admitted guilt
    Eric Harris - Shot while he was laying on the ground - Found guilty of second degree manslaughter, 4 years
    Rumain Brisbon - Unarmed, shot while reaching for a bottle - No charges
    Tamir Rice - 12 year old shot because he had a toy gun - No convictions

    There's a lot more, it goes on and on and I suspect everyone knows it. People are dying, no one is taking responsibility for the deaths and yet everyone is angry because black athletes aren't standing for a striped cloth while a magical song plays in order to protect our freedoms.

    It's a flag, a symbol of our freedom just like the national anthem. These athletes are exercising their rights to protest the actions of police that are affecting their freedoms to survive.

    Seems pretty mild to me.
    People get off for crimes we think they are guilty of all the time. Micheal Jackson got off. Bill Cosby got off. OJ Simpson got off. Someone in the UK recently got off because a judge ruled they had too much potential to go to jail eventhough she admitted to stabbing her BF.

    Our justice system is messy and imperfect. Sometimes people like Zimmerman get off eventhough many including myself feel he shouldn't have but we are a nation of laws not vigilante justice.

    Lets just explore your thought process here. You say African Americans are getting killed with confrontations with police which is certainly true but it's also true we have a process for that we have internal investigations. We have the DA office. We have grand juries. We now have body cameras. In many cases you mention charges were pursued and the juries found him not guilty.

    So lets say you have a conversation with the FOP what exactly does that accomplish? Is there some sort of tactic you want changed because if these people didn't follow police procedures what is there to discuss? Do you think laws need to be changed so it's easier to convict officers?

    Honestly, what I would like to see is a pilot program where people in these communities police themselves like we have with Tribal police of course in order for that to happen these people who are bitchin about police brutality would have to get off their arse and put their life on the line to make their community a safer place and not count on someone else to do it.





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: And so it begins

    funny enough, Ward is a Ravens fan

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk





  9. #9

    Re: And so it begins

    You know Russia and NK are over there enjoying the shit out of all this bs that we are making worse.
    Last edited by usmccharles; 09-28-2017 at 03:39 AM.





  10. #10

    Re: And so it begins

    The national FOP issued a letter calling out the NFL and the NFLPA asking them to the table. So, If the goal of the protests was to get the conversation started, congratulations. NOW DO SOMETHING!

    Or shut up about it forever. This is your chance.





  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    48

    Re: And so it begins

    Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    The national FOP issued a letter calling out the NFL and the NFLPA asking them to the table. So, If the goal of the protests was to get the conversation started, congratulations. NOW DO SOMETHING!

    Or shut up about it forever. This is your chance.
    Does the clock restart next time a black man is shot in the back and killed while running from the police? I suppose if they don't come to the table now we just proclaim open season on black people. Asking for a friend.





  12. #12

    Re: And so it begins

    My point being: the players have someone "on the other side" ready to sit down and talk. If this protest really was all about dealing with these issues, then get some people to the table and work on it.

    If it isn't about that, then it was all noise. I truly hope it wasn't just noise.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland