Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: How y'all feel about Ronnie Stanley?

Stanley is better than average, which on our ragbag OL, means tower of strength. He and Jensen are hopes for the future. Add Lewis and ONE of the two OL we drafted this year (both is too much to hope for) and we have the makings of a good line. Yanda? He has maybe one more good year. We must look to the future. On our dumpster O line, Stanley is the least of our worries.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Conklin at #8 to TEN is better.
    Just outside at #11, Taylor Lewan is also better.

Other OTs drafted later are just as good.

It would be crazy for any fan to give up on Stanley in year 2, but damn, it seems like no one regresses quite like Raven 2nd year starters.

This. 👆🏻 Not saying Stanley isn't serviceable. Just not IMHO ever gonna be a Pro Bowler. "We" Eavens fans are a little spoiled because we've had JO and Yanda and KO for that matter. I'd even put Burk in there. So for a #6 pick to kinda regress ...it gets people talking.

Even an "average" LT looks like a winner to me, given what we've been putting out at that position for like the last decade.

And I think Stanley is certainly well above average.

Fully expect him to be on the blindside for at least the next 7-8 years.

It's easy to "regress" when you're playing next to a bunch of replacements and your offense is dysfunctional. An OL is strange in that there's a group dynamic which either raises everyone up or drags everyone down. Ronnie Stanley is big, strong, has excellent footwork and technique and impeccable character. He's going to work hard to get better, his inner drive is insane.

He's one of the last players I have any concerns about.

Playing next to Alex Lewis, with Yanda filling in the other guard spot and pulling over to his side, and blocking for Alex Collins or some stud draft pick RB, will suddenly make Stanley's "grades" look much better. They're already passable as it is.

Even though there are better LTs in the league right now, I'm fine with our 23 year old stud LT for the next decade. My concern for the offense has more to do with our overall philosophy, WRs, and QB. The OL needs deep depth, but when healthy it has serious potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The reality of Stanley is that, like Ogden, even if he performs well, the rest of the line is still going to suck in pass protection.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    It's easy to "regress" when you're playing next to a bunch of replacements and your offense is dysfunctional. An OL is strange in that there's a group dynamic which either raises everyone up or drags everyone down. Ronnie Stanley is big, strong, has excellent footwork and technique and impeccable character. He's going to work hard to get better, his inner drive is insane.

He's one of the last players I have any concerns about.

Playing next to Alex Lewis, with Yanda filling in the other guard spot and pulling over to his side, and blocking for Alex Collins or some stud draft pick RB, will suddenly make Stanley's "grades" look much better. They're already passable as it is.

Even though there are better LTs in the league right now, I'm fine with our 23 year old stud LT for the next decade. My concern for the offense has more to do with our overall philosophy, WRs, and QB. The OL needs deep depth, but when healthy it has serious potential.

He's good. I wish he had more fire.

I don't need choir boys. I want an o linemen who will fight for his qb like Lewan down in Tenn

Not saying I don't like Stanley... I just am tired of using character as some sort of skill when we evaluate talent

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post

I don't need choir boys. I want an o linemen who will fight for his qb like Lewan down in Tenn

Not saying I don't like Stanley... I just am tired of using character as some sort of skill when we evaluate talent

There are two talents judged as relatively equal by your scouts. One has a history of fights, has been arrested once or twice, and was suspended multiple games for substance abuse. The other has a high GPA in a tough major with an immaculate record. You have to invest millions of dollars, not to mention years of your life, in one of them.

There's a reason character will always matter, especially to coaches who want "coachability" also. Doesn't mean they can't be fiery or passionate. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Having fire is nice and all, only if you can harness it to make you a better player, not get ejected from games and rack up 15 yard penalties.

Ronnie's dad was a military man and he grew up with a lot of discipline. As long as he's putting everything he has into his craft, I honestly don't care if he's yelling and throwing punches or not. Just drive the guy across from you into the dirt and block to the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    This. 👆🏻 Not saying Stanley isn't serviceable. Just not IMHO ever gonna be a Pro Bowler. "We" Eavens fans are a little spoiled because we've had JO and Yanda and KO for that matter. I'd even put Burk in there. So for a #6 pick to kinda regress ...it gets people talking.
    This is what I'm talking about, though. Why are we putting such a low cap on his ceiling just 3 games into his second year?

Blog Entries

He's the least of concern on the oline

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    The only NFL starter on the line, notwithstanding the decent play of Ryan Jensen.

You are correct. Here are our other three Olinemen :

... Bc

We just got boned on the draft order. Any one of those guys taken ahead of us Would have been great picks. But once it came to us, I was fine with Stanley. He's not an all pro but he's damn solid and that's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post

I don't need verbal, public "fire" out my LT. I just need him to do his job, which is to keep his QB clean and maul people when the time comes.

Nobody hear's a peep out of Joe Thomas...