Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: American Legion and Veterans of foreign wars condemn the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    You really think those things aren't available and haven't been available?
    As I said - outsider looking in. I don't have all the answers, and I won't ever pretend to.

"Moving forward, I don't want this to be a publicity stunt," Matthews said. "I don't want to take away from what the whole protest is about, which is oppression, police brutality and inequality in this country. I fully stand with my brother Kaep, and I plan to continue to do that."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ews-donate-75k

Systemic oppression means many things but lets start with black unemployment historically almost always twice the rates of white unemployment. 23% to 9% today. Why is that? If you think all poor black folks is lazy and criminal then you probably don't understand blackface minstrelsy and convict leasing. Read some history. It's out there. White folks too busy being defensive and not accepting oppression exists in the poorest communities of color. Police in communities like Sandtown-Winchester continue to oppress (through corning clearing aka stop and frisk aka zero tolerance racial profiling in violation of the 4th amendment) otherwise disadvantaged citizens.

Why was Freddie Gray spine severed by the police? Because he made eye contact? This relates to post reconstruction police tactics and why Kaepernick calls police in these communities modern day slave patrols. I understand sensitive white folks recoil at the thought but read some history. Kaep and others lay out the reasons, white folks REFUSE to understand it.

It's never been about the flag - folks can't even wrap their heads around a peaceful principled protest much less understand legit critiques of US economic and military policy abroad linked to hypersegregation and gestapo police tactics at home.

There is so much ignorance on this topic which is the exact reason why politics should be kept out of sports.

Pushing for social or political causes in areas that are not about them are part of the reason people are pissed. I know it's why I am.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

I am really intrigued to see this weeks ratings. There is a lot of people who will sit here and say they are done watching per social media but sit at home and still tune in.

It was not a good result for CBS and the NFL as the match-up went late and delivered 9.9/18 in metered market ratings. That’s down 13% from the 2016 TNF opener on CBS and NFL Network when the New York Jets beat the Buffalo Bills 37-31. In the first of five TNFs that CBS have this year, last night’s game was shown on NFL Network and made its live debut on Amazon.