Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Good And The Bad (Week 8)

The Good:

1. We are alone in first place at 5-2!

2. McNair seems to have found his accuracy and his arm.

3. Jamal runs for over 100 yards.

4. Todd Heap and Derrick Mason stepped up to make plays.

5. Ronnie Prude and Dawan Landry shows us that we have a bright future in our secondary.

6. Special Teams gets two thumbs up for field position on today.

The Bad:

1. Samari Rolle must be finished as an effective CB in the NFL. He is just lost right now. Should we give Ronnie Prude a look at starting at CB?

2. Secondary communication. These guys must get on the same page. There seems to be too much free styling and not enough discussion on where they are to be on the field. Gerome Sapp left Joe Horn wide open on that TD catch.

3. Jamal Lewis. He got his 100 yards and he got his carries (31 carries), but he still was not a factor on today. His yards were quiet, and he barely got those yards against a team that is among the worst in run defense.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: The Good And The Bad (Week 8)

Secondary play was horrible. McAlister had 4 penalties I think? They kept biting everytime Brees pump faked. Thank god for great pressure from the front 7 or Brees would have picked them apart even more than he did.

Other than that, everything was either good or very good. Nice to see a good rhythm from the offense.

Jamal not a factor? He had 103 on 28...the last 3 carries were to eat up clock.

ANYTIME Jamal (or any RB) has over 30 carries for 100 yards, they are a HUGE factor. Giving Jamal the ball SO much today helped McNair get in a groove. Jamal was big for us today.

I think the defensive scheming is the result of the big plays getting let up. When we were up 35-7 we only allowed something like 138 total yards. The prevent defense killed us at the end of the game.

Billick made this offense competent and the defense looked good (minus the 4th quarter).

These are the best kinds of wins. A convincing victory against an elite NFC on the road, and the Ravens still weren't playing as well as they were capable of playing. That's what you want to see. They win big in a big game, but there are still areas to improve.

The secondary is horrible. Just a bunch of big names underperforming. Are these players actually playing their coverage schemes??

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    Jamal not a factor? He had 103 on 28...the last 3 carries were to eat up clock.

ANYTIME Jamal (or any RB) has over 30 carries for 100 yards, they are a HUGE factor. Giving Jamal the ball SO much today helped McNair get in a groove. Jamal was big for us today.

I think the defensive scheming is the result of the big plays getting let up. When we were up 35-7 we only allowed something like 138 total yards. The prevent defense killed us at the end of the game.

Billick made this offense competent and the defense looked good (minus the 4th quarter).

Jamal took 31 carries to get 109 yards and against a defense that is poor against the run. That is 3.5 yards per carry. That does not scream "Jamal is back" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    These are the best kinds of wins. A convincing victory against an elite NFC on the road, and the Ravens still weren't playing as well as they were capable of playing. That's what you want to see. They win big in a big game, but there are still areas to improve.

The secondary is horrible. Just a bunch of big names underperforming. Are these players actually playing their coverage schemes??

Totally agree. I wouldn't mind seeing Ronnie Prude starting in place of Samari Rolle.

GOOD:
    As I was saying multiple times the last 2 weeks -- people have underestimated Billick -- he has a knack for the play calling, and is reinvigorated by the coaching role of the offensive coordinator. First half was as good as it gets with the right balance; ocassionally using the pass to set up the run. SCHWEET call on the McNair draw for the first TD!

Interesting that the Saints seemed off coming back from the bye and we weren't -- the 2 losses seemed to stick in our craw.

D line -- great play

BAD:
    Secondary -- what do we need to do? Average play of our opponents TOUCHDOWNS is over 30 yards. We clamp down in the red zone but the big play gets to us. How much of this is the scheme? Is it the price we pay for going for the higher amounts of turnovers?

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Secondary play was horrible. McAlister had 4 penalties I think? They kept biting everytime Brees pump faked. Thank god for great pressure from the front 7 or Brees would have picked them apart even more than he did.

Other than that, everything was either good or very good. Nice to see a good rhythm from the offense.

We just need to stop falling asleep whenever we get a comfortable lead. We seem to lose our edge instead of going for the kill. There is no way we should have given up that last TD.

Jamal took 31 carries to get 109 yards and against a defense that is poor against the run. That is 3.5 yards per carry. That does not scream "Jamal is back" to me.
    No one is screaming that Jamal is back, but it's absolutely RIDICULOUS to say that he wasn't a factor.

We were able to CONTROL the T.O.P. and set up the pass with Jamal running the ball 30+ times. Sure he didn't have eye-popping stats, but he was breaking tackles and getting a couple 10 yard runs.

If we had no established the running game the way we did, I think McNair would have had a harder time. Play action was much more effective today.

I don't give a shit if Jamal averages 3 YPC, if he's getting 30 carries a game, it means were are controlling the clock and are not playing from behind. Period.

Reggie Bush played as if he was scared of our defense. I love it. Terry and Drew on WNST said that we would get amBUSHed and that we'd have so much Bush in our faces. Looks like we clipped the Bush bald.

Jamal.....the point is we were able to run him for ball control. He looked good going to the outside more so than up the middle. He needs to get at least 22-25 carries a game to be effective. Nice total package today by the offense, but the secondary gave up some big plays AGAIN! Not acceptable!

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    No one is screaming that Jamal is back, but it's absolutely RIDICULOUS to say that he wasn't a factor.

We were able to CONTROL the T.O.P. and set up the pass with Jamal running the ball 30+ times. Sure he didn't have eye-popping stats, but he was breaking tackles and getting a couple 10 yard runs.

If we had no established the running game the way we did, I think McNair would have had a harder time. Play action was much more effective today.

I don't give a shit if Jamal averages 3 YPC, if he's getting 30 carries a game, it means were are controlling the clock and are not playing from behind. Period.
    Totally agree with this post.

Also, PurpleRulz, I don't think Ronnie Prude is starting CB material at this point yet, no matter how horrible Samari Rolle has played.