Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Coachwatch

I can see Todd Bowles get the axe too. I know their problems transcend the HC, but they've been B-A-D since they hired him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    his overall regular season record is 118 - 103 (.531). Your "Check out the Bengals record from the 12 seasons before Marvin got there, and compare it with the Marvin era" is so archaic that I don't even know how to respond to it.
    Archaic?? WTF are you talking about?

Cincy's record: with Marvin:
    118-104-3 over 14 seasons (.531) with 4 division titles and 3 other playoff appearances.

Cincy's record over the 12 seasons before Marvin:
    55-137-0 over 12 seasons (0.286) with zero division titles and zero other playoff appearances.

A dozen years of futility and disorganization. Failure under 4 different head coaches, all of them experienced and well-regarded football men. Then one man arrives and changes it all. Organizational stability, soundness in offensive and defensive schemes, solid drafting. All this from a franchise that barely had a scouting dept or S&C coach before he got there. And you're telling me he's a bad HC. SMH.

This reductive "the only thing that matters when evaluating head coaches is playoff wins" thing is bullshit. Marvin is 30th on the all-time wins list. If he gets 7 wins this year, he would move up to 26th, passing Hall of Famer Sid Gilman. He's tied for win% with Tom Coughlin and John Fox, two pretty good coaches; ahead of Gary Kubiak, another pretty good coach.

I'm not claiming Marvin is Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick or John Harbaugh. But "not a very good head coach"?? That's just straight stupid. I know it's not just you. There's a bunch of posters on this board who look down at Marvin. It's stupid when every single one of them does it.

It's probably the same bullshit attitude that is keeping Marty Schottenheimer out of the Hall of Fame. And it drives me fucking crazy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Archaic?? WTF are you talking about?

Cincy's record: with Marvin:
    118-104-3 over 14 seasons (.531) with 4 division titles and 3 other playoff appearances.

Cincy's record over the 12 seasons before Marvin:
    55-137-0 over 12 seasons (0.286) with zero division titles and zero other playoff appearances.

A dozen years of futility and disorganization. Failure under 4 different head coaches, all of them experienced and well-regarded football men. Then one man arrives and changes it all. Organizational stability, soundness in offensive and defensive schemes, solid drafting. All this from a franchise that barely had a scouting dept or S&C coach before he got there. And you're telling me he's a bad HC. SMH.

This reductive "the only thing that matters when evaluating head coaches is playoff wins" thing is bullshit. Marvin is 30th on the all-time wins list. If he gets 7 wins this year, he would move up to 26th, passing Hall of Famer Sid Gilman. He's tied for win% with Tom Coughlin and John Fox, two pretty good coaches; ahead of Gary Kubiak, another pretty good coach.

I'm not claiming Marvin is Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick or John Harbaugh. But "not a very good head coach"?? That's just straight stupid. I know it's not just you. There's a bunch of posters on this board who look down at Marvin. It's stupid when every single one of them does it.

It's probably the same bullshit attitude that is keeping Marty Schottenheimer out of the Hall of Fame. And it drives me fucking crazy.
    Marty Schottenheimer at least was 200 - 126 (.613) regular season and 5 - 13 in playoffs. That playoff record doesn't sound so good, but his teams went to the AFCC game three times!
    Yes his teams (Browns - 2x, Chiefs once) lost all three, but he got them there. Your over-hyping a very nice guy in Marvin Lewis, but he's not in Marty's class nor should he be. He was/is only in Cincy because the Brown family are cheapskates because no other owner would have put up with post-season failure this long... Bc

he's not in Marty's class
    I'm not claiming Marvin is Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick or John Harbaugh or Marty.

he was/is only in Cincy because the brown family are cheapskates because no other owner would have put up with post-season failure this long.
    Owners fire good coaches for all sorts of stupid reasons. Very often they hire a replacement guy who's not as good. Doesn't mean anything.

Blog Entries

Know what Jim (?) Let's let CincyCat, the die-hard Bengals fan on our board, decide. Shall we... Bc

Little bit of a tangent here, but I think there is a large contingency of Bengals fans that disagree with you Jim. Not that it makes your points any less valid, but it's just an interesting dynamic. I actually spent the day reading through the game thread on the Bengals message board. I found it quite hilarious and a bit eye-opening. Now, perhaps their board is a lot like ours can be at times and the most negative fans are also the most vocal, but I could not find one post where Marvin was defended by anyone. Apparently, his name is Coach Giggles and there are also dozens of memes of him clapping as a form of coaching, lol. Their thread is 60 pages, but if you guys have some time on your hands, you should check it out.

Other observations(from Cincy fans):
    Drafting talented skill position players early and often is NOT universally seen as a way to improve your team.
    Andy Dalton sucks
    Cincy has the worst line in the NFL
    Their OC and OLine coach suck
    The Ravens suck and the fact they smacked the Bengals around is a really bad sign, haha
    Marvin quit on his team well before the team quit on the field yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I am going to throw out a name that i dont know how plausible it is, but maybe more so wishful thinking. Depending on how this year goes, i could see Payton being on the hot seat, not sure about fired though. He hasnt had a winning season in three years, some times a change of scenery is needed. While im a Harbs supporter, no question id rather have Payton here, obviously the chances are pretty slim
    Sean Payton of Nawlins
    I can see he and Brees walking away this year. best to give the next group a fresh start.

I trolled the Bungles board myself. they're very unhappy and as mentioned no one is defending Coach Marvin.

was he that good a DC or just blessed with talent? I'd prefer Pagano myself.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Drew Brees contract situation could play a role in what happens with Sean Payton. Brees has a clause in his contract where he can block the Saints tagging him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Marvin brought a level of discipline and organization that they were missing. But with all the talent he's had on both sides of the ball, along with very highly regarded OC and DC, to win ZERO playoff games? They should have gone to at least one AFC championship game, and maybe a Super Bowl.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I can see Todd Bowles get the axe too. I know their problems transcend the HC, but they've been B-A-D since they hired him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They went 10-6 his first year and should've made the playoffs if not for Fitzpatrick being Fitzpatrick. The QB or lack thereof and an undermining FO have killed him.

Lewis is only 59, a little young to retire. The Bengals may not resign him, or another team may not hire him, but it's my feeling he will want to continue his career if just to prove he can win a playoff game... Bc
    I think he's done. I remember over the summer Marvin left the team albeit briefly because of leg issues. The only job I think he even thinks of taking would the Ravens job if it opened up.

That man covered Steve Spurriers ass and made him look at least a tad bit respectable. He convinced Mike Brown to change his approach to scouting and player retention which has been nearly an impossible feat until he arrived. Players actually want to go back to the Bengals if things didn't work out other places(Michael Johnson, Andre Smith etc.). That's all because of Marvi

All this talk about Lewis being a good coach or not is pretty comical. While i agree the zero playoff wins is a terrible aspect, sometimes you just need a change of scenery.