Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Depth Chart Released - OL looks promising on paper

Is Howard better than Wagner?
    Is Jensen better than Zuttah?
    Is Hurst better than Lewis?

Howard I do not believe to be better than Wagner. I think hes questionably better than the Hurst we saw this preseason, who in his defense played rather well, but still only average overall.

Jensen is an upgrade from Zuttah, imo, but not much of one. I do not see him, with his tenacity, getting bulled back into Flaccos lap. that alone is worthy of an upgrade but hes not as technical. i could easily see the team waiting to sign Mangold until after the first week. non-guaranteed would really be ideal for him and his ankle. That would change everything here because hes be an obvious upgrade at C and Jensen could still swing out and be at he very least a wash at LG, if Hurst isnt better inside.

Hurst and Lewis is a tough one. Lewis played well... for a rookie. that doesnt mean there wasnt a lot of room for improvement. I liked him and thought he showed signs of being a huge part of this team going forward, but he wasnt quite there yet. Hurst struggled to play LT, period. He played it decent at times, but was beat plenty. RT he played a lot better the limited time he had there. This offseason he looked much improved at both with the added strength. Moving inside is an unknown. What is known is that hes the 4th-5th best OL on this team and that was evident before Lewis' injury and Urschels retirement. people were talking about those guys as if they were good enough, so im not sure why Hurst, whos outplayed them, isnt getting the same. Nobody is saying hes a world beater, but I think he showed an ability to play NFL quality football. Is he better than rookie Lewis? im not sure.

Stability is the key. I think they have enough pieces to be solid to good but its going to come by continuity and not having a bunch of moving pieces. Thats what did us in last year. we didnt keep the same line together until after the halfway mark, and by seasons end they were playing much better.... but the defense fell apart too much to recognize it with wins.

well see what happens, im a realist and dont think theyll be great, but not horrible either. sometimes it seems like im an optimist with all the pessimists around here.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well see what happens, im a realist and dont think theyll be great, but not horrible either. sometimes it seems like im an optimist with all the pessimists around here.

Good post. Even better conclusion.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I think the whole "Hurst is a RT playing LG" thing is overblown. Lewis was just a RT playing LG also and many loved him (regardless of his average at best play). Hell, Osemele was just a RT (average RT his rookie year) playing LG and he became dominant on the inside. I'm not saying Hurst will follow that lead, but we've seen RTs move inside and be no worse than serviceable.

Jensen has been pretty good so far this preseason and Stanley has potential through the roof, so it's not like Hurst will have bums next to him.

I'm also not losing my mind over the preseason o-line play right now as a group. Mainly because, the 5 starters never played together. If we look at individual play, it adds a little less concern. Yanda and Stanley are Yanda and Stanley. Jensen was good. Howard did improve. So if there's only a weakness at a somewhat protected position like LG, then so be it.

Blog Entries

If Jensen doesn't get pushed into the backfield then the line is already much better.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I think the whole "Hurst is a RT playing LG" thing is overblown. Lewis was just a RT playing LG also and many loved him (regardless of his average at best play). Hell, Osemele was just a RT (average RT his rookie year) playing LG and he became dominant on the inside. I'm not saying Hurst will follow that lead, but we've seen RTs move inside and be no worse than serviceable.

Jensen has been pretty good so far this preseason and Stanley has potential through the roof, so it's not like Hurst will have bums next to him.

I'm also not losing my mind over the preseason o-line play right now as a group. Mainly because, the 5 starters never played together. If we look at individual play, it adds a little less concern. Yanda and Stanley are Yanda and Stanley. Jensen was good. Howard did improve. So if there's only a weakness at a somewhat protected position like LG, then so be it.
    This is how I feel too. My biggest concern for pressure is from the right side because Howard is slow off the ball so speed rushers can beat him with the shoulder dip.

A guy like Gino Atkins is good enough taht he's going ot beat even the best C's from time to time, but I think Jensen being a stronger guy than Zuttah works out for us in terms of pass pro. Jensen has a vicious punch.

Pat Sims is a big dude, but isn't too quick so I think Jensen will be alright.

I am concerned about Hurst and Howard. I wouldn't sya I'm concerned Jensen, but I am withholding judgement given all we have to really work off is how he looked in the preseason. HE looks improved from the previous couple of years.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Wonder how different the starting oline looks now compared to in a couple weeks. You have to assume one of the two just signed will be left guard. Hurst shouldn't be starting can't have the only three tackles on the field to start a game that's just a recipe for disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate Hurst at LG. Hate the fact that with the starting OL on the field there are NO BACKUPS at OT. Let that sink in... they have no literally no one on the bench at OT.

I have to think Hurst at LG is temporary until somebody else emerges... maybe Bergstrom. He has the size and experience. I don't think he'll be a great starter, but Hurst needs to go back to the bench ASAP. It's where he belongs. He's too weak and stiff to play guard.

Has anyone else noticed that they're not carrying a FB at all? My guess is Ricard will play FB in clock-killing situations, but looks like they're going base 3WR for real.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Hate Hurst at LG. Hate the fact that with the starting OL on the field there are NO BACKUPS at OT. Let that sink in... they have no literally no one on the bench at OT.

I have to think Hurst at LG is temporary until somebody else emerges... maybe Bergstrom. He has the size and experience. I don't think he'll be a great starter, but Hurst needs to go back to the bench ASAP. It's where he belongs. He's too weak and stiff to play guard.

Has anyone else noticed that they're not carrying a FB at all? My guess is Ricard will play FB in clock-killing situations, but looks like they're going base 3WR for real.
    I remember being shocked a few years ago when Harewood started week 1. I wouldn't be completely shocked if Bergstrom started Sunday if he plays well in practice. The depth chart is the depth chart, but they're not static. Something to keep an eye on at least.

I'm glad we're not carrying a FB. I want to see 3 man WR sets to spread the defense out more and unpack the box for our run game. I think it will work out best. Ricard can do an adaquate job and then we're not wasting a roster spot on a shit FB (Tali and Ortiz were bad).
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Depth Chart Released - OL looks promising on paper

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

It was always going to be a base 3wr set. It's pretty much all MM runs. Go back and watch some older eagles games. I absolutely agree about Hurst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the full issue with having a backup tackle starting at guard. Wasn't Yanda the backup tackle a few seasons? What difference would it making having an actual backup tackle if Hurst was still kicked out to tackle in the event of an injury anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Is Howard better than Wagner?
    Is Jensen better than Zuttah?
    Is Hurst better than Lewis?

Howard I do not believe to be better than Wagner. I think hes questionably better than the Hurst we saw this preseason, who in his defense played rather well, but still only average overall.

Jensen is an upgrade from Zuttah, imo, but not much of one. I do not see him, with his tenacity, getting bulled back into Flaccos lap. that alone is worthy of an upgrade but hes not as technical. i could easily see the team waiting to sign Mangold until after the first week. non-guaranteed would really be ideal for him and his ankle. That would change everything here because hes be an obvious upgrade at C and Jensen could still swing out and be at he very least a wash at LG, if Hurst isnt better inside.

Hurst and Lewis is a tough one. Lewis played well... for a rookie. that doesnt mean there wasnt a lot of room for improvement. I liked him and thought he showed signs of being a huge part of this team going forward, but he wasnt quite there yet. Hurst struggled to play LT, period. He played it decent at times, but was beat plenty. RT he played a lot better the limited time he had there. This offseason he looked much improved at both with the added strength. Moving inside is an unknown. What is known is that hes the 4th-5th best OL on this team and that was evident before Lewis' injury and Urschels retirement. people were talking about those guys as if they were good enough, so im not sure why Hurst, whos outplayed them, isnt getting the same. Nobody is saying hes a world beater, but I think he showed an ability to play NFL quality football. Is he better than rookie Lewis? im not sure.

Stability is the key. I think they have enough pieces to be solid to good but its going to come by continuity and not having a bunch of moving pieces. Thats what did us in last year. we didnt keep the same line together until after the halfway mark, and by seasons end they were playing much better.... but the defense fell apart too much to recognize it with wins.

That's all they have to do to switch me from pessimist to optimist.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

they gotta be able to run the football, if they can't run the ball this unit will struggle all year long.
    Last edited by Jsmoove; 09-06-2017 at 09:47 AM.