Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible Cuts

Re: Possible Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Why do you say that? It would seem the opposite to me. If guys are on the bubble, teams would want to give them as many reps as possible so that (a) they have more data/info to make their roster decision and (b) if they do end up cutting the player, other teams have data/info to use on potentially signing him somewhere else (assuming the player has played well).
    Game 3 is typically when the first team gets the longest look.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Game 3 is typically when the first team gets the longest look.
    I understand that...but if you are team that has player X on the bubble (which I am defining means you are not sure if you want to keep them or not), why would you not give that player as many looks as possible? To not play him at all means you have already made the decision to cut him (which by my definition does not mean "on the bubble") and I would certainly understand not wanting him to take reps away from a starter trying to get game ready or another player looking to make the team...maybe just semantics on my part...

3. Re: Possible Cuts

The NFL getting rid of the first cutdown this year kinda screwed us, didn't it, lol.

I understand that...but if you are team that has player X on the bubble (which I am defining means you are not sure if you want to keep them or not), why would you not give that player as many looks as possible? To not play him at all means you have already made the decision to cut him (which by my definition does not mean "on the bubble") and I would certainly understand not wanting him to take reps away from a starter trying to get game ready or another player looking to make the team...maybe just semantics on my part...
    Well say we hypothetically have ruled that West for example got beat out by Mizzell and Allen (This did not happen, but using a Ravens example).

I'd expect to see Mizzell and Allen on Saturday. But I wouldn't say they should cut West in case there's an injury. So IMO that's why.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    The NFL getting rid of the first cutdown this year kinda screwed us, didn't it, lol.
    Good for our DL. Bad for our offense.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Why do you say that? It would seem the opposite to me. If guys are on the bubble, teams would want to give them as many reps as possible so that (a) they have more data/info to make their roster decision and (b) if they do end up cutting the player, other teams have data/info to use on potentially signing him somewhere else (assuming the player has played well).
    Teams only have so many reps and so much game time to devote on players who they don't feel are good enough for the roster. Watch any season of Hard Knocks and you'll see the further they get into the preseason the less practice time is devoted to bubble guys. The idea is to get the team ready for the regular season. It's not just about filling out the bottom part of the roster. Players always say they know they are in trouble when they get less and less reps in practice

Everyone keeps looking at Mallet and other teams likely cast-off's and comparing whether there is upside to jettisoning Mallet for QB-X. I am not a huge fan of Mallet, although I will always have a soft spot for him because of the way he beat the Steelers the year Joe blew his ACL. That day was marvelous. That being said. I am all for letting Mallet go and sticking with Woodrum. That dude has the right attitude, he has a good command of the huddle, and throws a nice ball. He seems to work at his craft and would be able to withstand some scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Teams only have so many reps and so much game time to devote on players who they don't feel are good enough for the roster. Watch any season of Hard Knocks and you'll see the further they get into the preseason the less practice time is devoted to bubble guys. The idea is to get the team ready for the regular season. It's not just about filling out the bottom part of the roster. Players always say they know they are in trouble when they get less and less reps in practice
    I guess I don't see that as a player "on the bubble". I see the players you are describing as "camp bodies" with no chance of making a roster...any roster.

How many more looks do you need? You've gotten two full preseason games at that point, plus an entire offseason of OTA's, practices, and camp.

Keep in mind that the "starters" in game 3 don't play the full game either. They play like a half, maybe a little longer. So even your roster bubble guys are getting at least a quarter, if not more.

AND they still have the 4th preseason game, in which case they can probably literally play like the full game.

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    How many more looks do you need? You've gotten two full preseason games at that point, plus an entire offseason of OTA's, practices, and camp.

Keep in mind that the "starters" in game 3 don't play the full game either. They play like a half, maybe a little longer. So even your roster bubble guys are getting at least a quarter, if not more.

AND they still have the 4th preseason game, in which case they can probably literally play like the full game.
    True, at this point, they already know about 95% of the roster anyways. Regardless of how good you play these last two games, they know who's being cut. Example: Jeremy Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Easy answer. If this is a player you are not sure is roster worthy. That is, he is not a starter with a locked position, nor is he is a "camp body" with no shot. IOW, you are truly not sure and he is truly on the bubble. The answer is, "As many as you can get him."

And we are talking real game-speed action against real opponents. Regarding OTA's, practices and camp, I defer to Billlick: "Everybody looks great in shorts and t-shirts."

These are usually UPS vs. FedEx. Very few of these players hold interest for which the teams they are playing nor the other teams in the league.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 08-21-2017 at 12:24 PM.

I get what JohnB is saying.

If you're on the bubble it's a good time to play the player with the starters.

For example, I want to see Woodrum run with the 1's on Saturday instead of Mallett. We've seen him and he's stunk. Woodrum has dominated lesser competition and to really know what he's got going I'd like to see him in a live game against another teams 1's.
    - Ray Lewis