Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Against the media? Our defense.

So, I tried to post on some threads after a very long absence. And no posts seemed to turn up, so here is a new thread altogether, and one I haven't yet seen addressed.

Anyway, the general media seems to grade our defense in the lower third of the league. I was expecting we would register at about 8-10, but I realized that I'm only following our closest media outlets this time of year. Right now, on the larger media scale we show up much lower. Even as low as 24/26 out of the 32. A larger than usual span of opinion between us and the media. Usually the Ravens get an upward placement just because we're the Ravens. But this season, do we really know something that they don't, or are we looking at the D with purple shades?

I personally think the D is enough to tame a weak conference and make the season fun to watch. I homerishly grade us in the league's top 6, even higher in conference. I guess my ultimate question is do we truly know something about this Defensive talent that others do not?

It's been so long that I've talked to our tribe..feels like years..
    My wife and love passed on 7-7-17 10:45am, after our 4+ year cancer war. She was a Ravens fan, that floored me and others with Ravens art work. Paintings, game day art, and clothing were a specialty, all for our own pure enjoyment or given away. Nothing commercial about this lady. Her name is Jennifer.

Joe /D/ & the explosive 3......my latest dumb saying
    Last edited by alienstar; 08-15-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: Against the media? Our defense.

For all the flaws this team currently has, they are all on the offense. Have no idea how you can look at this defense on paper and say its going to be ranked lower than 20, it was ranked 8th last season with lesser talent. The game the other night reinforces that. Currently, the only penciled in starter I am worried about on D is KC. Just hope our offense manages to at least get ranked between 20-15.

sorry for your loss btw
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 08-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    So, I tried to post on some threads after a very long absence. And no posts seemed to turn up, so here is a new thread altogether, and one I haven't yet seen addressed.

Anyway, the general media seems to grade our defense in the lower third of the league. I was expecting we would register at about 8-10, but I realized that I'm only following our closest media outlets this time of year. Right now, on the larger media scale we show up much lower. Even as low as 24/26 out of the 32. A larger than usual span of opinion between us and the media. Usually the Ravens get an upward placement just because we're the Ravens. But this season, do we really know something that they don't, or are we looking at the D with purple shades?

I personally think the D is enough to tame a weak conference and make the season fun to watch. I homerishly grade us in the league's top 6, even higher in conference. I guess my ultimate question is do we truly know something about this Defensive talent that others do not?

It's been so long that I've talked to our tribe..feels like years..
    My wife and love passed on 7-7-17 10:45am, after our 4+ year cancer war. She was a Ravens fan, that floored me and others with Ravens art work. Paintings, game day art, and clothing were a specialty, all for our own pure enjoyment or given away. Nothing commercial about this lady. Her name is Jennifer.

Dude, welcome back! I had some thoughts I was going to share until I saw your last paragraph, man, my condolences to you and yours. You guys definitely will be in my prayers.

As for the media, well, you can only go on what you know and until the season starts, it's hard to take into account new guys and their improvements when they don't really have a track record. I think the D has ranked in the top 15 usually anyway though...I think our problems have been them not holding up in the 4th quarters.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I really don't care what their ranking is, although as I've said before it should be top 5-10 with the money and picks they've spent in it. I just want them to close games out when they have the opportunity and not consistently blow them as they have done for several years.

First off condolences on the loss of your wife. I can't even imagine how tough that has to be.
    As far as the defensive ranking.....Not sure how the media ranks any teams units when live action against other opponents has barely gotten under way. If they're ranking based off of last year than I would think the ranking would be higher but I can certainly see how the 4th quarter collapses could sway those opinions.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

My condolences, alien. I can't imagine losing my hubby. My prayers go out to you.

I think most of the "disrespect" has to do with our youth and lack of knowledge of how much that youth will impact our D. Most media types don't do their homework. They'll just look at the roster and say "lots of young guys, questions on the DL, they lost so & so" and then rank us. While they know we got TJeff and Carr in FA, resigned BWill, they see an aging Suggs and a Jimmy Smith that is injured a lot and Weddle. To them, that's it. They don't know that Judon has lost weight and looks to be the starting SAM. They don't see Urban as anything more than an unknown. They don't see Pierce's impact. And definitely don't have a clue about Bowser, KC, TWill and Hill.

Though, I think they will come around after a few more good performances in pre-season (and I don't think the Skins win was a fluke). Besides, please disrespect the D. They thrive on it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    My condolences, alien. I can't imagine losing my hubby. My prayers go out to you.

I think most of the "disrespect" has to do with our youth and lack of knowledge of how much that youth will impact our D. Most media types don't do their homework. They'll just look at the roster and say "lots of young guys, questions on the DL, they lost so & so" and then rank us. While they know we got TJeff and Carr in FA, resigned BWill, they see an aging Suggs and a Jimmy Smith that is injured a lot and Weddle. To them, that's it. They don't know that Judon has lost weight and looks to be the starting SAM. They don't see Urban as anything more than an unknown. They don't see Pierce's impact. And definitely don't have a clue about Bowser, KC, TWill and Hill.

Though, I think they will come around after a few more good performances in pre-season (and I don't think the Skins win was a fluke). Besides, please disrespect the D. They thrive on it!
    This right here

This is why you always have to take whatever the national media says with a grain of salt. It would be nice for the talking heads to actually do what they get paid to do and research each 32 teams deeper than they do, but they just gloss ove rthe smaller market teams like ours and come out with rankings like this.

Blog Entries

My condolences, I think it's both. I think the fans here over value a lot of the young guys. And I think the national media just doesn't do that great job of reporting on the 8-8 or worse teams which we are now apart of. I don't see how they could rank us that much lower then where we finished last year. I said in another thread I was shocked they had the defense in fantasy ranked 1 spot above Pittsburghs. The only way I could see it happening is due to how bad the offense will be. Specifically the oline, maybe they feel the defense will be hung out to dry and get tired. (Very good possibility)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I am so sorry for your loss alienstar. It's nice to hear that Jennifer was able to get some real and enjoyment out of the Ravens. That's what it's all about and why we're here.

I haven't heard too much negative about the Ravens defense from the national media. I was listening to SiriusXM NFL radio this weekend and they were saying this team needs to figure out how to get something out of the injured Joe Flacco because this defense puts them as a 'win now' team. I personally thought it was a ridiculous assessment of Joe's injury but it was very positive on the defense.

On the other side NFL Network had their top 10 fantasy players for every position. The Ravens defense was not listed in their top 10. Also silly.

Personally I see this as a top 5 defense. I see multiple pass rushers, a stout DL and a good secondary. Tony Jefferson playing next to Eric Weddle is as good as it gets throughout the NFL. By the time the Ravens come back from London this defense will have serious media hype around it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    For all the flaws this team currently has, they are all on the offense. Have no idea how you can look at this defense on paper and say its going to be ranked lower than 20, it was ranked 8th last season with lesser talent. The game the other night reinforces that. Currently, the only penciled in starter I am worried about on D is KC. Just hope our offense manages to at least get ranked between 20-15.

sorry for your loss btw
    I agree about the offense.

If the D improves to a top 5 and the offense can manage 15 they'll make the playoffs.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Against the media? Our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post

Deepest condolences on the loss of your Jennifer. Glad she was a Ravens fan so you could share something special together (aside from many other of life's interests). Your Ravens family grieves with you and yours... Bc

Alienstar - my condolences to you for your loss. I can't even imagine and I will have you in my prayers!
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB