This is an idea that I have been kicking around for a bit and am seriously starting to consider it. I will lay out a little about myself and just my over all philosophy and why this is something I would really like to do. Just looking for some advice from some 'more experienced' people. Just or reference, I am 32 in 2 weeks.

I grew up pretty poor so when I was earning my own my and able to by what I wanted, I did. As life when on I slowly realized more and more how much things I own end up owning me (name that movie). After I got out of the Marines I slowly starting becoming less and less materialistic and now im to the point where everything I own outside of my bed, I could throw in my little hybrid Civic and take off. Don't get me wrong, I've been thinking about buying a Harley, even looked at a couple Lotus' in the past year, and the big one....considering buying a house; in CA of all places.

My thing is, I don't want to live to work and I feel the more things I purchase, this is the life I am headed towards. If I purchase a house, I am obviously committed to this job for years to come. I work for the DOD and I do well for myself considering no degree, but honestly there isn't much room to move up nor is there any type of passion involved. I recently lost my mother and my only family really left is a grandma in Arkansas and my two sisters in FL, which is where I used to live and love that place. Purchasing the house just means I cemented myself 3k miles away from the only family I have left without really the possibility of just picking up and going.

Peace Corps
I have researched this quite a bit and I know the amount of money involved, the possibilities of not even getting accepted, the dangers, and also the two year commitment of being gone out of the states. But I honestly believe the life experience that I could gain from it is worth it to me and who knows the doors it could open. I am on a year plan to be completely debt free with zero commitments to being tied here in CA, so that part is planned out regardless of going or not, if I wanted to leave my job. I understand the PC isn't a vacation, I understand its hard work and a very big commitment and this is something my mother and I talked about doing together, so obviously there is a sentimental value attached to it.

Now for those not familiar with military benefits, I have 3 years of paid school and a living allowance from the military. If PC is the route I went, I could come back to the states and start school, if I can ever find something that interests me, so maybe doing this could help me find a passion instead of going to work just for a paycheck. So that's that.

TL,DR: Not happy with job and location, want to work for a reason just not to buy things. Quit job, two year commitment overseas, make very little money? thanks for the space to rant