I though ClericBlackDave had a great post in the Kaepernick Football Thread and wanted to use it as the basis for creating this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave
Just catching up. First off, we need both some lessons in basic civics and some history classes.

First off, don't throw around the work Traitor and Treason lightly. Kaepernick is not a traitor nor has he committed treason. When you misuse words like that because you are parroting what you heard someone else say on shock radio or am message board something, you water down the meaning of said words and end up on the end of a broken / deceiving thought process.

Treason - the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government. Kaep's protest, which is protected by perhaps the most important part of the constitution, the supreme law of the land - is NOT TREASON.

Protesting the Vietnam War was not treason. The Civil Rights movement was not treason. Protests against the effort to take away this healthcare are not treason.

Secondly, what I see a lot on this issue regarding Kaep is blind nationalism. The kind of thing that actually lead to fascism (and we're getting close as a country).

There were those who probably called MLK a traitor. That didn't like the way he went about his protest. Those that called protesting the Vietnam war Treason. And again, they were both misusing / overusing the words, and really just falling victim to blind nationalism.

Nationalism is different that Patriotism. Patriotism is a love of your country, but it isn't blind. You believe in your country, and want it to be the best it can be. And you're willing to take said actions to move the needle and change its direction, when needed.

People hated Muhammad Ali when he didn't serve in a war he felt was immoral and unjust, and protested. They didn't like Jackie Robinson. I'm not saying Kaep is either of those athletes. I'm saying that standing up for what you believe in . . . making a perhaps valid critique of ones country . . . is NOT treason. Nor is it even necessarily a lack of Patriotism.

I think about what the Unions did striking and protesting to get the 40 hour work week. The 2 day weekend. Workers rights. Ending child labor. Fair wages. All of that struggle wasn't popular.

I'm not even saying anyone has to like Kaep or what he's saying. I'm saying look at the Constitution, and respect that its his right, and its the first right in the Bill of Rights because its very important. It was very important to the founders. It's a part of what makes us great, and what we all should be trying to protect.