Boxing....anyone follow?

Lately I have been getting more into boxing, not because of the circus of Floyd and Connor, but just overall wanting to watch some good boxing. A guy by the name of Vasyl Lomachenko has really caught my eye, as of everyone's in the boxing world.

Re: Boxing....anyone follow?

I've been trying to get back into it. I'm officially done with the UFC. What a gong show organization.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I used to be a boxing fan, then switched to UFC mostly, but have kind of lost interest in either really. moderate fan at best, Ill watch certain fighters or fights, but I dont follow either closely enough to know up and comers or under cards very well aynmore.

mayweather Mcgregor is the gong show. thats spectacle for the sake of spectacle. that said Mayweather by unanimous decision. Id be happy to be wrong and see him get KOd but thats been my prediction and wish for basically his last 10 fights and havent been wrong.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I've been trying to get back into it. I'm officially done with the UFC. What a gong show organization.
    I think the issue with the UFC is that fighters disappear quickly. I want to follow boxing but I just don't know many boxers. I actually might go to Lomachenko's next fight, has anyone been to a live boxing match?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I think the issue with the UFC is that fighters disappear quickly. I want to follow boxing but I just don't know many boxers. I actually might go to Lomachenko's next fight, has anyone been to a live boxing match?
    It's mostly that there's no sense of rankings anymore. It used ot be simple. Fight up the ladder, get the title shot. Now there's superfights and all this other bullshit.

There's also way too many events. What they need is a separate company that acts as a D-League. Kind of how the WEC was the lightweight d-league for the UFC (Even though they weren't under the same ownership).

Keep UFC events to big cards and turn all of this fight night BS into the other company.

I've never been to a professional bxoing match. The only non-professional ones I've been to were my own, but they were kickboxing.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    It's mostly that there's no sense of rankings anymore. It used ot be simple. Fight up the ladder, get the title shot. Now there's superfights and all this other bullshit.
    That's one thing I never understood, didn't Brock Lesnar come in and have a title fight within 3 fights or so, with a loss?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    That's one thing I never understood, didn't Brock Lesnar come in and have a title fight within 3 fights or so, with a loss?
    Yeah something stupid like that.

It's just not the way it used to work. It was fun to watch guys climb, fall, fall and then climb again, etc.

McGregor played a big role in ruining boxing given he wanted the superfights and all the money talk. It ruined what the sport was about. McGregor can fuck off. I hope he retires and shuts his mouth when Mayweather whoops him.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

McGregor knows that he's going to lose. He just doesn't care. They are both batting for the same team, just trying to get as much money out of it as possible.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    McGregor knows that he's going to lose. He just doesn't care. They are both batting for the same team, just trying to get as much money out of it as possible.
    Agreed. He's gotta play it up and act confident because it's his persona.

I think it's stupid to fight this in a boxing match, but he agreed to it becuase he just wanted the fight to happen. Fight = $$. That's all McGregor is here for and it's why I hate him.

Guys like Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture that pioneered modern MMA were not just there for the dollars.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I haven't watched boxing since the late 90's.

I loved UFC up till around 2010-11 when they started charging $50 and hyping them up so much that nobody wanted to lose the fight. They became boring and not worth it at all.

Also, I think people saw how much GSP kicked ass and took names because of how good of shape he was in (or partly because that) and started over training, leading to injuries. And then the hyped fights wouldn't even happen

Oh... and the stupid stare downs after a big fight to hype up the next fight. What is this the WWE? Just because it's a fight doesn't mean the two have to hate each others. I might watch the Jones fight this weekend, but I won't pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I haven't watched boxing since the late 90's.

I loved UFC up till around 2010-11 when they started charging $50 and hyping them up so much that nobody wanted to lose the fight. They became boring and not worth it at all.

Also, I think people saw how much GSP kicked ass and took names because of how good of shape he was in (or partly because that) and started over training, leading to injuries. And then the hyped fights wouldn't even happen

Oh... and the stupid stare downs after a big fight to hype up the next fight. What is this the WWE? Just because it's a fight doesn't mean the two have to hate each others. I might watch the Jones fight this weekend, but I won't pay for it.
    Nailed other reasons I hate it.

I had the privilege to train with GSP before he "made it" back in 2004. He was in the UFC at the time but wasn't a household name and was still doing kickboxing clinics in Quebec and Ontario. Guys work ethic is.....unparalleled.
    - Ray Lewis

The logistics of going to this Lomachenko fight up in LA is a nightmare. Amtrak, trollies, etc....maybe just have to watch it at home.