Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 51
  1. #25

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?



    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    You pretty much explained part of why it sucks after your "I don't see how it sucks" statement.
    I don't get the complaint about Super Teams, the NBA has ALWAYS had superteams.

    The 80s had what...4 teams that won a championship?

    The Bulls likely would have won 8 straight in the 90's if Jordan didn't give the rest of an NBA a break...not even getting taken to a single game 7 during his 6 title run in the finals. Celtics won something like 9 straight in the 60's and nobody watched the NBA at all really in the 70's.

    The NBA has 2 teams that have won probably half of the entire history of the leagues championships. Yet now people want to complain about super teams?

    People don't like players making the decisions, but have no problems with drafts and incredibly stupid trades. I don't understand that. I guess what happened is the players themselves aren't as likable for whatever reason and I think subconsciously, that's affecting how they look at the entire league?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  2. #26

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    How anyone can possibly be entertained watching a league where no more than 3 teams have a realistic opportunity is hilarious and borderline retarded behavior. Whats the point of even having an 82 game regular season? You can cut the entire league to just 4 teams and literally nothing would be different. You'll never have a story like the 2003 Carolina Panthers enter the playoffs as a wild card team and win the NFC Championship.
    Go back and tell me how many teams have won the SB since the Ravens entered the league? By your logic we should hate the NFL because its really only a handful of teams that win it.

    I get the current NBA scenario but its not going to last forever. Hell people were complaining about the Lakers/Celtics beign the only teams that had a chance but it was still great basketball.

    Also I was excited when the Wiz went to 7 against the Celtics because I thought they had a real shot against the Cavs. Didn't happened but I was entertained.

    To each his own.





  3. #27

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Kyrie is an idiot

    But yes the NBA has died. I always prefered college because there aren't 5 million fouls.

    It used to be interesting, but now with the super teams it's just silly. You watch teams get better and it just means jack shit becuase you know the Warriors are winning the next 3 years. Stupid.

    March Madness is my favourite sporting event (including the SB - UNLESS the Ravens are in it).
    I dont care enough to look up the stats myself, but the running narrative on sports talk radio is the NBA is making a killing with younger demographics. They have been credited as doing a phenomenal job marketing superstars and keeping the offseason relevant.

    while no one is expecting them to take the #1 spot for the NFL, the perception is that they will be the solid #2 in the future. (most of MLB's demographic nationally is like 50-55 years old. MLB does great regionally but is declining nationally)





  4. #28

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I dont care enough to look up the stats myself, but the running narrative on sports talk radio is the NBA is making a killing with younger demographics. They have been credited as doing a phenomenal job marketing superstars and keeping the offseason relevant.

    while no one is expecting them to take the #1 spot for the NFL, the perception is that they will be the solid #2 in the future. (most of MLB's demographic nationally is like 50-55 years old. MLB does great regionally but is declining nationally)
    This. As much as people like to say that "the NBA is dying", its pretty hard to identify a sport that is dying that has had absolutely dramatic revenue growth in a short period of time.

    Like I know people like to fanboard complain about "super teams" and all that nonsense, but from where I'm sitting, it would appear that the same people complaining about this are all but demanding that these super teams exist. We know this, because again, ratings continue to climb.





  5. #29

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Kyrie is a great offensive player, poor defender. He's either going to play second fiddle on a contender or the star of an 2nd division team.





  6. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    32,943
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    how is a number 2 going to request a trade like a number 1?? Kyrie you are not a superstar player, he's not even Scotty Pippen good.





  7. #31

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    How anyone can possibly be entertained watching a league where no more than 3 teams have a realistic opportunity is hilarious and borderline retarded behavior. Whats the point of even having an 82 game regular season? You can cut the entire league to just 4 teams and literally nothing would be different. You'll never have a story like the 2003 Carolina Panthers enter the playoffs as a wild card team and win the NFC Championship.
    You mean like the 4th seeded Celtics in 2010? Or the 06 Mavs? Both were 4 seeds in their conference, even lower than the 03 Panthers who while they played on wild card weekend, were a division winner and 3 seed in the conference.

    The last 2 years have been pretty bad with overall competition, but guess what, the East has just completely and totally opened up and if the Warriors have an injury, everything is up for grabs.

    I mean come on, every year, The Patriots are seemingly in the Super Bowl or at the very least in the AFC championship game and most years, the games aren't even close. There's a lot more parity in the NFC, but the Patriots are the going away favorites in the entire league, every year. NFL is not this bastion of all these teams having these great chances to win championships...the AFC has had like 5 teams in the Super Bowl in the last 17 years.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ellicott City
    Posts
    686

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You mean like the 4th seeded Celtics in 2010? Or the 06 Mavs? Both were 4 seeds in their conference, even lower than the 03 Panthers who while they played on wild card weekend, were a division winner and 3 seed in the conference.

    The last 2 years have been pretty bad with overall competition, but guess what, the East has just completely and totally opened up and if the Warriors have an injury, everything is up for grabs.

    I mean come on, every year, The Patriots are seemingly in the Super Bowl or at the very least in the AFC championship game and most years, the games aren't even close. There's a lot more parity in the NFC, but the Patriots are the going away favorites in the entire league, every year. NFL is not this bastion of all these teams having these great chances to win championships...the AFC has had like 5 teams in the Super Bowl in the last 17 years.
    100% agree. The NBA has had more "dynasties" (Celtics, Lakers, Bulls) than the NFL because the 7-game playoff format makes upsets harder. But even heavy favorites like the 73-9 Warriors can lose, just like the 16-0 Pats. So there's always hope for underdogs.





  9. #33

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Go back and tell me how many teams have won the SB since the Ravens entered the league? By your logic we should hate the NFL because its really only a handful of teams that win it.

    I get the current NBA scenario but its not going to last forever. Hell people were complaining about the Lakers/Celtics beign the only teams that had a chance but it was still great basketball.

    Also I was excited when the Wiz went to 7 against the Celtics because I thought they had a real shot against the Cavs. Didn't happened but I was entertained.

    To each his own.
    11 NFL teams since 1996 have won the Superbowl. That's 11 in 20 years so thats not bad at all.

    But the true fact of the matter is that it is always competitive. Even in 2007, as bad as that season was for us, we still took it to the undefeated Patriots. That undefeated Pats team then lost the Superbowl to the Giants, a wild card team. The NFL is always interesting and every team always has a shot. Thats why it is vastly more entertaining. Nobody will ever take some of these small market NBA teams seriously.





  10. #34

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    how is a number 2 going to request a trade like a number 1?? Kyrie you are not a superstar player, he's not even Scotty Pippen good.
    Hold up now. Kyrie is an incredible ball handler and can finish at the hole better than anyone in the league, the way he uses his left hand is incredible. To say he isn't a superstar, kind of a reach in my opinion.

    Kyrie just wants out of Cleveland before Lebron leaves and into turns back into a wasteland. But not playing next to Lebron is going to give him a rude awakening, egos can really ruin careers, which is why I find it very impressive what the Warriors are doing together.

    I never remember watching regular season games, like someone eluded to, with a 7 game series the better team almost always wins.





  11. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,655
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    kyrie is a top 10-15 player in the league because hes probably a top 3 scorer. His defense is bad but hes improved on passing. He wouldnt make the complete player list, but either would curry, Melo or Durant. you can be a lethal scorer in this league and only adequate defender, or "timely" defender and be considered a star. The cavs could probably get better if they trade him for another scorer, a decent 2, and get a defense minded 3 shooting PG. Their defense is what lost them the finals, not their offense.

    Its all for nothing though. Lebron is clearly on his way to LA. Dan Gilbert's ego is destroying every gift hes been given, and i cant blame LBJ for getting away from that guy again. Hes done it to himself.
    -JAB





  12. #36

    Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    11 NFL teams since 1996 have won the Superbowl. That's 11 in 20 years so thats not bad at all.

    But the true fact of the matter is that it is always competitive. Even in 2007, as bad as that season was for us, we still took it to the undefeated Patriots. That undefeated Pats team then lost the Superbowl to the Giants, a wild card team. The NFL is always interesting and every team always has a shot. Thats why it is vastly more entertaining. Nobody will ever take some of these small market NBA teams seriously.
    Huh? Nobody took OKC seriously? Or Cleveland? Or San Antonio? I mean come on man...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland