Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Best player ever to suit up for Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Saying that Deion is the best player to suit up for the Ravens is like saying that Ed Reed is the best player to suit up for the Texans and Jets.
    And? It is a different take on it. We've had numerous threads on the "Best Raven Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Actually, he did qualify it as he wanted to, it's his thread. Not calling you out, but he had a specific point and it wasn't who played the best in a Ravens uniform, it was who was the best football player that ever played for the Ravens even if their best ball was elsewhere.
    The OP doesn't have a qualification and it clearly isn't crystal clear. Post #8 clearly shows it wasn't crystal clear to everyone. It was simply a question.

It's like saying the best player to play for the St Louis Blues was Wayne Gretzky. Sure, it's true, but it just seems silly, IMO. That's what I was thinking when I read the OP and that's why I asked the question.

In no way did I say he couldn't ask any question the way he wanted, but I didn't think it was clear. I wasn't the only one. The OP consists of zero information other then his answer. Anyway, doesn't matter. Just odd to pick that out of this entire thread.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The OP doesn't have a qualification and it clearly isn't crystal clear. Post #8 clearly shows it wasn't crystal clear to everyone. It was simply a question.

It's like saying the best player to play for the St Louis Blues was Wayne Gretzky. Sure, it's true, but it just seems silly, IMO. That's what I was thinking when I read the OP and that's why I asked the question. (<- Crapping on his thread)

In no way did I say he couldn't ask any question the way he wanted, but I didn't think it was clear. I wasn't the only one. The OP consists of zero information other then his answer. Anyway, doesn't matter. Just odd to pick that out of this entire thread.
    I thought it was obvious. That said, fine. Let's say it was nebulous, now we know his point. Let's end this part of the discussion so the thread can get back on topic.

And now that it is clear if you don't like his thread then don't crap on it. Just don't post on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    So quick to write off Ed Reed? Or even Ogden?

While not necessarily a requirement to be the best "Raven", you could make a case that Ogden and especially Ed are the best player at their position EVER. You could make that case for Ray too, but I think its actually a bit more difficult case to make.

Ogden's career getting cut a little short probably keeps him from being #1 in my eyes.

I'd vote Ed with Ray a very close second. Wouldn't argue with picking any of them quite frankly.
    Actually, Ray has a much stronger case than either of the two. He has indisputably the best resume of anyone at his position in NFL history when you look at the whole combination of DPOYs, All-Pros, Pro Bowls, stats, and specific contributions to great teams. The film certainly doesn't lie, either. Ogden and Reed are right up there with the best at their positions, but others did accomplish a bit more. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't still GOAT, but compare that to Ray where there just isn't a good argument for any particular player against him anymore.

(no, Ray and LT did not play the same position)

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Fellas...let's not get blinded by our Purple Love. Sanders invented "shut down" corner. He single handedly took away half the field. And returned punts on Special Teams.
    I'll give you he was passed his "Prime" when he came here but still.
    As for all this Ray is the best ever...please. You've never watched LT play? Singletary?
    I know I said Ray as my choice , but let's face it ..he was and still is the face of the franchise.
    After further thought I think I'd pick Reed. He may be the greatest SS of all time. He holds all the records. Holds all the numbers.
    Reed is a FS not SS.

I think you can make a legitimate case for any of Woodson, Reed, Sanders, or Lewis.

Sanders (200 games) and Reed (189 games) are better (peak value) candidates. Woodson (258 games) and Lewis (249 games) are better aggregate value candidates. Reed and Lewis came up huge in the biggest games while Woodson was quiet (1 pick and 1 FR in 20 playoff games) in the postseason and Sanders was good in 12 games (5 picks, 1 rushing TD). Ogden was very great as well, but in only 185 games without ever serving a great QB he's just not in the class of the other 4.

Ranking them 1-5 for career Value, I make it:

1. Lewis
    2. Woodson
    3. Reed
    4. Sanders
    5. Ogden

In terms of peak value:

1. Reed
    2. Sanders
    3. Lewis
    4. Woodson
    5. Ogden

I have not yet done OL scoring for any of Ogden's play prior to 2007 when he was hurt. I saw PFF ranked his 2006 season as on of the best they have scored. I am very interested to score that season. If, by chance, you're looking to watch Ogden's greatest game, I suggest the 2000 home game versus the Cowboys as one that not only was extraordinary in terms of the number of highlight blocks, but it supported a 200+ yard effort from Jamal and drew lots of tellustration from John Madden.

It's an extraordinary group of players and very difficult to order them on either basis.

Blog Entries

IMO there is a wider gap between Reed's play at S and anyone you want to compare him to than there is between Lewis and whomever you may want to compare him to. Reed was pretty much Deion's equal, but until he hurt his shoulder he would actually lay the wood too. He was a beast on special teams, whether blocking punts or returning them. He had no problem coming up in run support and his instincts were on another planet. Reed ALWAYS showed up in the big games. You had the GOAT QB writing "Find 20" on his wristband before games. There's not much higher praise than that.

No wrong answer here, but I scoff at people who act like it's Ray and nobody in our team's history is close. That's underselling Reed greatly. We are fortunate to have had them both.

1. Lewis
    2. Sanders
    3. Reed
    4. JO
    5. Woodson

Honorable mentions to Suggs, SSSr, Q, Jamal and Shannon Sharpe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    IMO there is a wider gap between Reed's play at S and anyone you want to compare him to than there is between Lewis and whomever you may want to compare him to. Reed was pretty much Deion's equal, but until he hurt his shoulder he would actually lay the wood too. He was a beast on special teams, whether blocking punts or returning them. He had no problem coming up in run support and his instincts were on another planet. Reed ALWAYS showed up in the big games. You had the GOAT QB writing "Find 20" on his wristband before games. There's not much higher praise than that.

No wrong answer here, but I scoff at people who act like it's Ray and nobody in our team's history is close. That's underselling Reed greatly. We are fortunate to have had them both.
    Everybody, how freaking great and fortunate as fans is it, that we can even have such debates about this after such a short history?
    I for one am just grateful for the talent that has played for our city. And so many of those talented players were on the same team, at the same time. Truly awesome recalling so many spectacular plays.

Just yesterday, I had dinner with my son and we talked for an extended period of time, just recalling all those great Ravens and some plays that were simply unbelievable. Witnessing them in person was the bonus.

I will add my pick, but I see the closeness in greatness between Ray and Ed.
    The thing is, every time they took the field, you almost expected one of them to make a great play and turn the game or simply finish it.
    I only pick Ray over Ed because Ray was so great for SOOOOO long and was truly the heart of the team.
    He could inspire the entire team every single game. He helped raise the play of all of those around him.
    Ed was probably the most electric player I have ever seen and he always seemed like the fastest player on the field.
    I can't help that I am invisible...

I have to say I am completely shocked by how many people feel Ed > Ray. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there is certainly an argument to be made. But I truly didn't think many people felt that way.

I believe a strong case could be made for Ray as the greatest defensive player in NFL history.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Saying that Deion is the best player to suit up for the Ravens is like saying that Ed Reed is the best player to suit up for the Texans and Jets.
    Somewhere on a Chargers message board thread, best Chargers QB to suit up Johnny Unitas.

I'll go with Ray Lewis followed very closely by Ed Reed and Ogden.

Chris McAlister had the talent to be in the conversation, but didn't put together the career he was capable of having.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

I don't know Sanders flipped powers in the NFC when he went team to team as a merc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk