Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Best player ever to suit up for Ravens

How can this not be ray?

Blog Entries

Drafted and played majority of career with Ravens, for me it's Ed Reed.

Taken literally, I'd probably agree with Deion, but even then...Reed is the best player ever at his position. So no, it would still be Reed to me.

Deion was very good, granted. But Deion was not the overall dominant player in his era as Ray was. JO was one of the best as his position. So were Dan Dierdorf, Orlando Pace, Anthony Muñoz, and Art Shell. Point is: Deion and JO were among the best, but not singularly as was Ray Lewis. Butkus and Singletary were great, but Lewis was superior - far superior.

Ray Lewis, and it's not even close!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    If it's Best overall career not just with Ravens ....Deion Sanders. Hands down. If it's drafted by and played career with Ravens ...Ray Lewis
    Ray > Deion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Deion was very good, granted. But Deion was not the overall dominant player in his era as Ray was. JO was one of the best as his position. So were Dan Dierdorf, Orlando Pace, Anthony Muñoz, and Art Shell. Point is: Deion and JO were among the best, but not singularly as was Ray Lewis. Butkus and Singletary were great, but Lewis was superior - far superior.

Ray Lewis, and it's not even close!
    Well, he dominated in one phase, the main phase of the game for his position -- coverage. He could not nor would not tackle or blitz or do anything else. Ray dominated in all phases of the game.

Shout out to Rod Woodson, who had 18 more INT, 12.5 more sacks and 556 more tackles than Prime. OK seven less career TD. Prime was the better returner and caught three TD as a WR.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 07-16-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rararavens View Post
    How can this not be ray?
    So quick to write off Ed Reed? Or even Ogden?

While not necessarily a requirement to be the best "Raven", you could make a case that Ogden and especially Ed are the best player at their position EVER. You could make that case for Ray too, but I think its actually a bit more difficult case to make.

Ogden's career getting cut a little short probably keeps him from being #1 in my eyes.

I'd vote Ed with Ray a very close second. Wouldn't argue with picking any of them quite frankly.

Saying that Deion is the best player to suit up for the Ravens is like saying that Ed Reed is the best player to suit up for the Texans and Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Saying that Deion is the best player to suit up for the Ravens is like saying that Ed Reed is the best player to suit up for the Texans and Jets.
    That's what I felt too when I saw Deion.
    “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.”
    – Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Fellas...let's not get blinded by our Purple Love. Sanders invented "shut down" corner. He single handedly took away half the field. And returned punts on Special Teams.
    I'll give you he was passed his "Prime" when he came here but still.
    As for all this Ray is the best ever...please. You've never watched LT play? Singletary?
    I know I said Ray as my choice , but let's face it ..he was and still is the face of the franchise.
    After further thought I think I'd pick Reed. He may be the greatest SS of all time. He holds all the records. Holds all the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Fellas...let's not get blinded by our Purple Love. Sanders invented "shut down" corner. He single handedly took away half the field. And returned punts on Special Teams.
    I'll give you he was passed his "Prime" when he came here but still.
    As for all this Ray is the best ever...please. You've never watched LT play? Singletary?
    I know I said Ray as my choice , but let's face it ..he was and still is the face of the franchise.
    After further thought I think I'd pick Reed. He may be the greatest SS of all time. He holds all the records. Holds all the numbers.
    Ray Lewis is the best inside linebacker to play in the National Football League. Period. Full Stop.
    “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.”
    – Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    One thing that should be qualified - is it their time as Ravens or someone that was great, but not in their prime as a Raven?

Personally, it should be during their time as a Raven. Which would obvioulsy narrow it down to JO, Ray and Ed.
    Actually, he did qualify it as he wanted to, it's his thread. Not calling you out, but he had a specific point and it wasn't who played the best in a Ravens uniform, it was who was the best football player that ever played for the Ravens even if their best ball was elsewhere.

Frankly, I thought this was going to be a repeat of a myriad of threads but his twist on it made it a bit fresh.

And,

RAY LEWIS. No question.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Deion Sanders was retirement age when he postponed retirement and signed with the Ravens, he had already played 15 years in the NFL.
    He wasn't even the 4th best Raven on the team in 2004 ....

Best all time player, who ever was seen in a Ravens uniform? I dunno did Johnny U ever were one for publicity?

On a sane note Lewis, Suggs, Reed, and JO were all on that 2004 team
    Again, it isn't who played the best ball FOR THE RAVENS. It is who had the best career even if they suited up for the Ravens, even if briefly and when not at their best.