Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Best player ever to suit up for Ravens

Ray Lewis. Take all parts of any of your other candidates and they do not check as many boxes as Ray Lewis.

Ray made the team better not only through his abilities and skill, he did it with his mind, his heart, his soul.

JO, beast, mauler... until Dwight Freeny always seemed to show up and own him. I never recall anyone owning Ray one on one continuously outside of Peyton and Brady, and that is more a team effect as well as Ray got the last laugh.

Deon? Shut down #1. But he was a mercenary, until he got to SF, he never tasted a championship. Then Jerry bought him. What brought him to the Ravens? Ray Lewis.

Ed Reed, I'll give you, it is a close call with Ray. Ray gets the edge through longevity and one more title. Ed was as big a film study and influence as Ray. The will that Ray exerted on the team is legend, like Ed's ball hawking skill.

Last, Ray is considered by some the greatest defensive player ever. Some say the greatest MLB ever. I even put him in the Greatest players of all time.

RL52 #1a, ER20 #1b. Woodson and Sanders were not all-time greats in Ravens unis.

3. Re: Best player ever to suit up for Ravens

Ray Lewis is the best player to ever play for the ravens. Id argue hes the best defensive player of all time, and in the top 5 to ever lace them up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Ray Lewis is the best player to ever play for the ravens. Id argue hes the best defensive player of all time, and in the top 5 to ever lace them up.
    Ditto
    "Give Pees a chance, again", and 50 points in a 50 minute game .

I am glad to see so many others pick Ed Reed. I expected that Ray Lewis would be the overwhelming choice. Ray certainly has a strong argument, but I think this is an interesting topic so I'd like to share my defense of Ed Reed as the greatest. This is not intended to disrespect Ray - he is clearly #2 on my list.

Greatness is a very subjective concept. My top components of NFL greatness are football athleticism, the ability to impact a game, and leadership. Ray had huge quantities of those qualities. But I always felt Ray's biggest contribution to the Ravens was leadership. I always felt his athleticism - although very good - was not what made him great. His film study and motivation of others was his true greatness.

I always felt that Ed Reed's leadership was underappreciated. He voluntarily let Ray take the #1 leadership role, but so many of the game highlights show him talking it up before the play. He motivated the players on the field more with his intellect while Ray motivated more with his emotions. Ray was the more important leader, but I feel Ed was very close.

When it comes to football athleticism, I feel Ed Reed was far above Ray. The greatest moments of Ed's career were simply jaw-dropping. The amazing INT returns and the blocked punts. I have never seen a player more exciting to watch than Ed Reed in 2004.

When it comes to impacting a game, it's tough to compare Ed & Ray. Ray always led the team in tackles. Ray made a lot of big plays. But in the NFL of today, pass defense is so important and Ed Reed was so dominant that I feel Ed's presence in the secondary was more important than Ray's presence at ILB. Ed made a huge difference just by preventing QBs from throwing anywhere near him. And still he got interceptions by hiding from the QB or anticipating the QB's throw so much he would break off his coverage and run halfway across the field to get the INT. I have never heard of another safety that could do that.

Finally, Ed scored 86 points in his career to 26 points by Ray. Defensive and special teams scores are devastating to the opponent and uplifting to your team. With Ed back at safety, it was like the Ravens were on offense.

I will always miss Ed the most. What an amazing man.

Boller
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    He voluntarily let Ray take the #1 leadership role, but so many of the game highlights show him talking it up before the play.
    Voluntarily? Ray was here for six years BEFORE Ed was drafted. Ed not only came to a team with a leader entrenched, he learned a lot from Ray, already a Super Bowl MVP.

NFL of today, pass defense is so important and Ed Reed was so dominant that I feel Ed's presence in the secondary was more important than Ray's presence at ILB.
    You aren't fairly judging Ray against his entire career, you are only going off of the time Ed was here. Ray had a decent DB unit when this guy, Rod Woodson played here during our first Super Bowl era. Chris MacCalister was a shutdown corner. Herring was good not great, as was Starks.

Reminds me of when people detract from Joe Montana saying what would he have been without Jerry Rice. Montana had 2 Super Bowls (MVP as well). Prior to Jerry.

Finally, Ed scored 86 points in his career to 26 points by Ray. Defensive and special teams scores are devastating to the opponent and uplifting to your team.
    Different positions, if you are going to use alltime stats, then Rod Woodson is 3rd in non-offensive TD with 17 and 4 more than Ed, with 5 coming while a Raven, almost a 3rd in his career.

I am all for Ed Reed being among the greatest EVER to play, but please let's not downgrade Ray because memories are short.

*EDIT*

Ed 11 years / 160 games
    Ray 17 years / 228 games

Ray had 6 more years, 68 more games. THAT HAS to factor in greatest Raven ever.
    Last edited by Captain Silver; 07-18-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Hi Captain,

You are absolutely right that Ed learned a lot from Ray - no question. But IMO being older does not make one greater.

I don't understand your argument about Ray's career before Ed was here. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding. My comment about Ed being more important in the secondary than Ray at ILB would extend to Ray's entire career - not just when Ed was a Raven. I am not saying Ray depended on Ed. My intent was to say that a dominant safety like Ed (or Rod) have more importance in today's game than a dominant ILB. Part of the reason is the fact that a safety has a better chance of scoring points, like Ed did.

I'm also surprised by the idea that longevity has anything to do with greatness. Certainly a player has to play at a high level some minimum number of seasons to prove their greatness - instead of being a one or two season wonder. But to me 17 years vs 11 has no bearing on greatness - only the level of play they were able to sustain through their prime.

I'm glad that you posted that though. It's interesting to see a different perspective on the definition of greatness.

Going with Ed.
    Sanders seemed to play at a different speed as everyone else, but find a tackling highlight clip of him for me.
    As great as Ray was he needed a good DT in front of him. Some of the years between the first SB and Haloti's arrival he was less effective.
    Ed always had to be gameplanned for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Voluntarily? Ray was here for six years BEFORE Ed was drafted. Ed not only came to a team with a leader entrenched, he learned a lot from Ray, already a Super Bowl MVP.

You aren't fairly judging Ray against his entire career, you are only going off of the time Ed was here. Ray had a decent DB unit when this guy, Rod Woodson played here during our first Super Bowl era. Chris MacCalister was a shutdown corner. Herring was good not great, as was Starks.

Reminds me of when people detract from Joe Montana saying what would he have been without Jerry Rice. Montana had 2 Super Bowls (MVP as well). Prior to Jerry.

Different positions, if you are going to use alltime stats, then Rod Woodson is 3rd in non-offensive TD with 17 and 4 more than Ed, with 5 coming while a Raven, almost a 3rd in his career.

I am all for Ed Reed being among the greatest EVER to play, but please let's not downgrade Ray because memories are short.

*EDIT*

Ed 11 years / 160 games
    Ray 17 years / 228 games

Ray had 6 more years, 68 more games. THAT HAS to factor in greatest Raven ever.
    Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brown2RAVEN View Post
    Going with Ed.
    Sanders seemed to play at a different speed as everyone else, but find a tackling highlight clip of him for me.
    As great as Ray was he needed a good DT in front of him. Some of the years between the first SB and Haloti's arrival he was less effective.
    Ed always had to be gameplanned for.
    Could it be that Ray was also being game-planned for?
    Haloti's arrival made it very difficult to get an OL free to second level Ray ... Ray was absolutely being game planned around ... maybe a little differently than Ed, but every bit as much so.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Could it be that Ray was also being game-planned for?
    Haloti's arrival made it very difficult to get an OL free to second level Ray ... Ray was absolutely being game planned around ... maybe a little differently than Ed, but every bit as much so.
    Absolutely.
    Just not not the same degree IMHO.