Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    It's basically exactly what every other qb does. Hell didn't Brady recently shift an entire seasons base salary into some bonus to free up some hard money for the patriots. (Nothing cap related)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, plus by the time your QB gets to year 10, he's already made a truckload of money and is basically a member of mgmt. What does he care if he gets the bulk of his money in one check or spread out over 17 weeks in any particular year? It makes them an easy target for a quick negotiation especially since they don't lose any money on a simple restructure.

Blog Entries

UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

I understand it just fine. I don't fucking like it or agree with it. Leave the shitty contract alone and let it play out

We are allowed to have different opinions

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't already discussed it with Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I understand it just fine. I don't fucking like it or agree with it. Leave the shitty contract alone and let it play out

I tried to tell him. He seems convinced.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

There are opinions, and then there are opinions with substance...

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    It's basically exactly what every other qb does. Hell didn't Brady recently shift an entire seasons base salary into some bonus to free up some hard money for the patriots. (Nothing cap related)

Brady is always sort of the outlier in these cases. In a lot of his contracts historically he's taken large bonuses in lieu of smaller base salaries. It allows the team to spread the cap hit out a bit more for the bonuses, and he gets all of his money up front. Is a savvy move if you're even moderately competent at money management. The sooner you can get paid, the better, so then you can start earning money on that money.

In the most recent restructure, which I believe was in 2015 (or maybe 2016), I think the sole purpose of him restructuring salary into a bonus was to circumvent his suspension from DeflateGate. I believe under the CBA the team is only required to not pay your salary while your suspended, but that doesn't apply to bonuses I don't believe.

I think originally he was due like $10M or something in 2016 in base salary, so he just shifted that to a bonus and dropped his base salary down to like the league minimum or close to it. So when he got suspended, he only lost a couple hundred thousand, as opposed to losing a couple million in base salary if untouched. A shady practice, but ultimately pretty smart on their part.

If you look at Brady's career, out of his $196M+ in total compensation, nearly 80% of it has come in the form of bonuses or incentive payouts.

He has actually had a signing bonus paid to him in 6 of the last 7 years, and has had either a signing or roster bonus (or both) paid to him in every single year since 2008.

Also fun fact is that while his cap hit in 2016 was very modest for franchise QBs, he was actually paid nearly $29M last season.

Very well put Braven23. Ravens best options this year would be to rework Joe. Let's face it ...Joe Cool ain't going anywhere for a long time. Move some cash to free up some this year. Hell I might go a few more mil and see what happens. Still need some Oline help.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Very well put Braven23. Ravens best options this year would be to rework Joe. Let's face it ...Joe Cool ain't going anywhere for a long time. Move some cash to free up some this year. Hell I might go a few more mil and see what happens. Still need some Oline help.
    I'm not even suggesting we should yet. If we're not going to sign somebody who's at least a potential difference maker, then I'd do nothing.

I'm in no way advocating for it... at this time. If a decent Olineman becomes available in the next 6 weeks or so, and we need to create like $1-2M in cap space to bring them in, then I do it. I'm not interested in touching Joe's deal for some backup to compete with Hurst.

If there's a player that we know is better than Hurst and is an above average RT, then I do this.

I'll also say that I'm not touching Joe's deal to sign Mangold, because I don't think we can afford him anyway and I'm not convinced he's that good of player anymore.

Basically a Jeremy Maclin-like player at RT, who's a bit more affordable. If we don't find that, then stand pat.

I despise the idea of kicking the can down the road.

Get this cap situation under control geez.

Next year, I hope they are very frugal in UFA, they need a year like that to get the cap under control.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I don't get all this not wanting to kick the can down the road talk. If you think you have a shot to win you take it. Our qb has what 5 more years in him probably take your shots now. Are we forgetting what not having a qb looks like? We had two first ballot hof players in their primes that couldn't win a playoff game for what 6 or so years till we got a qb it's going to be much worse once we don't have Joe, clean your cap then and completely rebuild.

I'd take 4 years of great cap flexibility to have a great team around Joe than 5 years up against the cap every year completely restricting what we can do to improve the team.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'd take 4 years of great cap flexibility to have a great team around Joe than 5 years up against the cap every year completely restricting what we can do to improve the team.
    I thought after this year we will have something like 20+ million in cap space. Taking 2 or 3 from that and having a legit shot seems like a better answer then hoping to scrape by and go 8-8 or 9-7 this year. The line needs help if it fails the offense fails which will drag the defense down with it