Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 100
  1. Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K



    Well, almost 2M would be saved by cutting Jensen (no dead cap hit either). So if an o-lineman is brought in to be a starter, I'd assume he'd be on the chopping block to be released





  2. #26

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Well, almost 2M would be saved by cutting Jensen (no dead cap hit either). So if an o-lineman is brought in to be a starter, I'd assume he'd be on the chopping block to be released
    I doubt it.

    For starters, it would have to be a Center specifically. Second, he'd likely be the reserve.

    At both Center and Guard, he's probably your #1 reserve lineman at this point.





  3. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    2,381

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post

    The Ravens REALLY need a healthy training camp.
    Amen!





  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    26,333
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Yes the number I quoted earlier was the current Rule of 51 number. My apologies. Obviously if the Ravens are going to hire an offensive lineman, a restructure or two is necessary. They might have to do a restructure just to have some breathing room for the season in the event of injury.

    In either case I'm (I hope) they already have an agreement in principle with a couple of players so that they can act quickly if the right O-Lineman comes along.

    Keep in mind, if a player is placed on IR and needs to be replaced, that adds to the cap.

    The Ravens REALLY need a healthy training camp.
    you ain't never lied there





  5. #29

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    How much is Pitts's? He just signed the injury clause maybe Ravor could help out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the injury clause just cleared us for his base salaries. I'm pretty sure his bonus pro-ration hit is still in effect.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  6. #30

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Who's up for an extension next year? Mosely? Anybody else? If I were the Ravens, I'd be very, very frugal in UFA next year...extend Mosely, not sure who else is ready for extension time.

    They are staring at probably $20-23 million in space, I'd want to carry as much over the following year as possible to give us some breathing room when it comes to the cap in 2019.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  7. #31

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Who's up for an extension next year? Mosely? Anybody else? If I were the Ravens, I'd be very, very frugal in UFA next year...extend Mosely, not sure who else is ready for extension time.

    They are staring at probably $20-23 million in space, I'd want to carry as much over the following year as possible to give us some breathing room when it comes to the cap in 2019.
    Based on what I see, there's very little of note in terms of internal players who will become UFAs in 2018 or even 2019. Mosley had his 5th year option picked up, so he's not a UFA until 2019. I would certainly expect him to sign a long term extension next offseason though, as I doubt they let him ever sniff FA.

    For 2018, there's really not much. Mike Wallace's contact is up, and I doubt he returns. In terms of draft picks, its a list of depth players mostly:

    Gillmore, Taliaferro, Urban, Campanaro, West, Urschel, Jensen, Hurst. Ryan Mallett and Ben Watson also have expiring contracts. So realistically, we can retain or get rid of any of these guys we want, because none of them will fetch much on the open market. Many of them I'd say aren't even worth retaining.

    2019 FAs:

    Draftees: Perriman (if he doesn't get his option picked up), Carl Davis, Maxx, ZaDarius, Buck Allen, Boyle, Waller, Michael Pierce
    Key Veterans: Maclin, Suggs

    Would certainly think next year is probably the end of the line for Suggs, if not this year. Again, I think Perriman and maybe Pierce stands out in this group, but not much else in terms of "must keep" players.

    The "big time" FA year isn't until 2020, when you've got a ton of guys with expiring contracts.

    The way I see it, next year you sign Mosley to an extension, and you likely pick up Perriman's option year (not a foregone conclusion at this point, though). Beyond that, I don't see any other significant extensions given to drafted players, meaning a lot of your money should be spent in FA.





  8. #32

    UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Couldn't you extend Wallace for a year back load most of it till next year? I'm sure there's a way. Joe's going to get extended again too if not this year then next.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  9. #33

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Wow, in 2020 Jimmy, Yanda, Weddle, Stanley, Young and Tucker all have expiring contracts. Though Stanley has an option year.





  10. #34

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Couldn't you extend Wallace for a year back load most of it till next year? I'm sure there's a way. Joe's going to get extended again too if not this year then next.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think you can modify his current year deal at this point, so if you sign him to a one year extension, its all going towards next season anyway.

    If he has another year like last year, he's obviously going to be looking for more money and some long term guarantees. With an improved showing from Perriman, I definitely think we move on from Wallace. I don't think it makes sense to sign a player so dependent on speed to a long term deal when they're in their 30s.

    Realistically, I don't think you consider touching Joe's deal until 2020. He's locked in through next season due to the dead money, so conceivably you could be back at the table in 2019, but I doubt it.

    If you wait until 2020, Joe will be 36 and you'll have $20M in cap savings from a cut. Frankly, at that point, we may even consider moving on entirely. Once we see noticeable declines in arm strength, which will happen at some point, I think he loses a lot of his edge.

    My guess is he plays here for 3-4 more years, and then we move on.





  11. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    2,381

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post

    Realistically, I don't think you consider touching Joe's deal until 2020. He's locked in through next season due to the dead money, so conceivably you could be back at the table in 2019, but I doubt it.

    If you wait until 2020, Joe will be 36 and you'll have $20M in cap savings from a cut. Frankly, at that point, we may even consider moving on entirely. Once we see noticeable declines in arm strength, which will happen at some point, I think he loses a lot of his edge.

    My guess is he plays here for 3-4 more years, and then we move on.
    That's how I feel. They shouldn't even think of touching Joe's deal for the next two years. If he plays lights out, hey, he's still under contract through 2021. If not, they can consider moving on around 2020. Extending him any sooner would just hamstring the cap in future years.





  12. #36

    Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

    Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Wow, in 2020 Jimmy, Yanda, Weddle, Stanley, Young and Tucker all have expiring contracts. Though Stanley has an option year.
    Of that group, I'd think we only would be looking to extend Stanley, Young (depending on how he recovers from his injury) and Tucker.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland