Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $4.34M

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    What motivation does Mangold have to sign now? He's a vet who wants one last check and has no interest in, nor need to, go through OTAs and Training Camp.

If this signing happens it'll be near the start of preseason. The fact that we haven't heard anything means nothing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by riprulz8 View Post
    What motivation does Mangold have to sign now? He's a vet who wants one last check and has no interest in, nor need to, go through OTAs and Training Camp.

If this signing happens it'll be near the start of preseason. The fact that we haven't heard anything means nothing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. He's in the same boat as Boldin. Boldin skipped OTA's last year, though I do think he signed before Camp, which is what I expect both to do. Its a bit risky to skip Camp entirely and just assume they'll mesh with a team after that.

I think both will sign in the next 1-2 weeks, but agree that they've been holding out this long partially because of the lack of desire to go through OTAs with anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Agreed. He's in the same boat as Boldin. Boldin skipped OTA's last year, though I do think he signed before Camp, which is what I expect both to do. Its a bit risky to skip Camp entirely and just assume they'll mesh with a team after that.

I think both will sign in the next 1-2 weeks, but agree that they've been holding out this long partially because of the lack of desire to go through OTAs with anybody.
    Disagree.
    Vets don't do crap at OTAs anyway. If rigorous work was something they wanted to avoid, they need to skip training camp. I think Q is just waiting for a call. He's been on 4 teams and already has a ring. He's in mercenary mode and will look at his options and pick whatever makes the most sense - close to home, most money, etc. Mangold has only ever played for one team and was released. This is his first foray into FA. He said himself that the ankle wasn't quite right yet. If it's just a matter of finishing rehab and doctors have no concerns, then I would think a team would sign him now and just put him on PUP to start camp. It's not the Ravens m.o. to sign guys late that they expect to actually start. That tactic is usually reserved for filling out depth and the back end of the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Disagree.
    Vets don't do crap at OTAs anyway. If rigorous work was something they wanted to avoid, they need to skip training camp. I think Q is just waiting for a call. He's been on 4 teams and already has a ring. He's in mercenary mode and will look at his options and pick whatever makes the most sense - close to home, most money, etc. Mangold has only ever played for one team and was released. This is his first foray into FA. He said himself that the ankle wasn't quite right yet. If it's just a matter of finishing rehab and doctors have no concerns, then I would think a team would sign him now and just put him on PUP to start camp. It's not the Ravens m.o. to sign guys late that they expect to actually start. That tactic is usually reserved for filling out depth and the back end of the roster.
    Q would show up and participate as soon as signed. He's always been a hard practice guy. Mangold, if he's even healthy, is a different issue. He's also stated that his best case scenario would be signing around the 3rd preseason game, so he clearly wants to avoid any unnecessary contact.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Q would show up and participate as soon as signed. He's always been a hard practice guy. Mangold, if he's even healthy, is a different issue. He's also stated that his best case scenario would be signing around the 3rd preseason game, so he clearly wants to avoid any unnecessary contact.
    Can't read the guy's mind, of course, but I actually wonder how much Mangold even wants to play at this stage of his life/career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Can't read the guy's mind, of course, but I actually wonder how much Mangold even wants to play at this stage of his life/career.
    Yeah he wants top 5 money, I doubt he is going to play for league minimum or anything. But if he can pass a physical, there will be a team willing to pay him well I would guess. Hope it's not the Ravens and I'm 99% sure it won't be.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Curious what makes you say that he's only 33 he's the exact same age as Birk was when he signed with us

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Disagree.
    Direct quote from the article below:

"Boldin said he will likely wait to sign with a team until closer to training camp, and he signed with the Lions last year in late July. He continues to stay in shape with noted NFL trainer Tony Villani at XPE Sports in Boca Raton, Florida, and Villani said Boldin can likely play another two or three more years if he wanted."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/an...ntial-suitors/

Vets may not put in as much work as others during OTAs, but they also don't just sit them out and train the way they want to. They get fined for things like that. Guys who are FA's and don't sign until after that don't have those concerns.

I'd say its kind of naive to think he hasn't gotten calls.

Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Pitta's dead money is going to be rough too
    Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    How much is Pitts's? He just signed the injury clause maybe Ravor could help out
    The dead money for Pitta in 2018 is only $2.2M and there really aren't any other cuts that I could anticipate creating any sizeable amounts of dead money in 2018 (other than perhaps Jimmy Smith if he can't stay healthy) , so this issue should be cleared up in 2018. This year hurts, but at least they are getting most of the pain out of the way in 2017 and should have a much cleaner Cap going forward.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Wow, in 2020 Jimmy, Yanda, Weddle, Stanley, Young and Tucker all have expiring contracts. Though Stanley has an option year.
    Yes, Stanley has an option year, so he's very unlikely to be a FA and if he is, it's because they've deemed him not worth retaining anyway.

Plus, as others have said, Yanda and Weddle will be up there in age, so retaining them probably won't as much of an issue as it would seem now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    The dead money for Pitta in 2018 is only $2.2M and there really aren't any other cuts that I could anticipate creating any sizeable amounts of dead money in 2018 (other than perhaps Jimmy Smith if he can't stay healthy) , so this issue should be cleared up in 2018. This year hurts, but at least they are getting most of the pain out of the way in 2017 and should have a much cleaner Cap going forward.
    Ravor could they extend Wallace another year and convert his base salary this year into bonus to give some spending money or have they already down that with his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Who's up for an extension next year? Mosely? Anybody else? If I were the Ravens, I'd be very, very frugal in UFA next year...extend Mosely, not sure who else is ready for extension time.

They are staring at probably $20-23 million in space, I'd want to carry as much over the following year as possible to give us some breathing room when it comes to the cap in 2019.
    They should be in much better Cap space in 2018 anyway, but, yes, Mosley is definitely an extension candidate. The only other time they've actually used the 5th year option was Jimmy Smith and they did an extension for during that offseason. Plus, since Mosley's 5th year option is worth $8.718M, an extension for Mosley would likely create a couple million in additional Cap space, so there's that benefit too.