Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: Who would you jettisom to get KO back?

This thread.

2. Re: Who would you jettisom to get KO back?

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    True, but KO is not a "serviceable guard." He is top 3-5 in the league. Agree with you on Wagner. Our FO certainly has worked very diligently to weaken our OLine.
    Lol

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I am not really sure how this question can be answered this early into the contract. There are so many movable pieces that have not yet played out; including KO's durability during the term of the contract. At the time, the money was a factor, but I had questions about the future injury potential. I am not comfortable evaluating the deal that keeps KO here and impacts other players with the cap space until we know how it plays out in its full term.

At the time, I was not a big fan of the Boldin move; but I deferred to Ozzie and the Ravens about the Cap Space, the needs at other positions and their assessment of the talent that would fill the void. Looking back now, would he have made a big difference in 2013 ? Would he still have been around in 2014 ? Would the Ravens really give him an extension during any of that time ? With the benefit of hindsight, we know they did not have talent, but would they have been any better or made the Super Bowl of the 2014 Season with him ? Would he have made a difference with the shuck-and-jive that New England pulled out in the playoffs ? We can speculate until the cows come home, but will never know.

Do I think KO is better than what they have on the roster ? Yes. If they had signed him, would they have taken Lewis or be looking at a FA at Center or RT based on the Cap Space ? Hard to say, but I do not think they take Lewis. Maybe they still look to fill one space on the O-Line with a FA, but can they afford two ? And if they dumped Yanda for KO are they any better on the Line now ?

Is still stand by how they let KO leave with his salary and his injury possibility during the term of the contract.
    I think the choice is basically between KO and Stanley, not KO and Lewis. I think when they offered KO a contract it was to be their future LT. I don't think they ever had any intention of paying him that kind of money to play Guard.

If KO was resigned, I think he's your LT, and we don't draft Stanley. Who we would have drafted instead I have no idea. Perhaps we are willing to give up the 3rd rounder to get Ramsey instead because of our lack of need at LT.

I doubt a 4th round draft pick of Lewis would be effected by that deal though. And I don't think either of those choices would have any impact on whether we need a RT or a Center. Signing KO to that kind of deal only makes it more likely that we don't retain Wagner (because you're not paying two tackles like $20M+ or whatever that comes out to), and I obviously don't see how that impacts Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    This thread.
    lol. I tip my hat to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    This thread.
    we don't have nothing better to do lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I just read through this entire thread....im at work...and have nothing better to do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Better than arguing about Kap I guess.

You're talking about over $20MM of your cap space on your guards. THat's just wildly out of balance.

Hey, I'd love to throw craploads of money at everyone. Harbs has often said he favors some system that would allow teams to keep the players that they draft and develop (like the NBA.) But at the moment, you just can't spend unlimited money to amass veteran talent.

The choice was between Yanda and KO -- not both. And given that, you go with the guy who is a career Raven, the veteran leader of the o-line, Ring of Honor lock, potential Hall of Famer, and possibly the best lineman regardless of position in the NFL right now.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."

9. Re: Who would you jettisom to get KO back?

Honestly, in pure hindsight, I wouldn't trade anyone to have kept KO. You have to think about how close this team is right now to the salary cap, and how much KO's cap hit would have been this season. Even in the hypothetical, the team offered a pretty nice contract that he rejected, so we'd have had to match Oakland to keep him.

KO is a 13.5M cap hit this season. Weddle, Jefferson, and Maclin equal KO's cap hit (actually a little less). Possibly swap out Watson with Maclin to somewhat salvage things, but we'd have a glaring whole at safety and STILL have the same C and RT/LG issue we have no along the line since I'm fairly confident KO would have played LT and prevented Stanley from being drafted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Honestly, in pure hindsight, I wouldn't trade anyone to have kept KO. You have to think about how close this team is right now to the salary cap, and how much KO's cap hit would have been this season. Even in the hypothetical, the team offered a pretty nice contract that he rejected, so we'd have had to match Oakland to keep him.

KO is a 13.5M cap hit this season. Weddle, Jefferson, and Maclin equal KO's cap hit (actually a little less). Possibly swap out Watson with Maclin to somewhat salvage things, but we'd have a glaring whole at safety and STILL have the same C and RT/LG issue we have no along the line since I'm fairly confident KO would have played LT and prevented Stanley from being drafted
    Problem is everyone bitches at the money thrown a B.Will.

If KO were a LT, maybe that argument would hold water, but I'd paying Chunk in the middle of the defense than pay LT money to a guard.

People (including myself) bitch about BWill because, like linebackers, it seems like this team can acquire/churn out defensive tackles without any problem. You go from Kelly Gregg to Haloti Ngata to Brandon Williams and Timmy Jernigan to Michael Pierce and it builds this (false) sense of confidence that you can "afford" to let certain guys walk. It's especially pronounced when the tradeoff is for a position that we don't always land on - tackle. But this isn't objective, level headed thinking.