Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 69
  1. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,042

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB



    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Unitas is Baltimore's second best QB. Joe's going to win another Superbowl, and be the all time leader in every stat in Baltimore by the time he retires.

    If Joe somehow fails to win a second SB, Joe will be #2
    I really hope you're just trolling with this post. Because if you're serious....I don't....I don't even know what to say to you. The level of ridiculousness is really that high.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...






  2. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Searching for Capt'n Harveys
    Posts
    2,063
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I really hope you're just trolling with this post. Because if you're serious....I don't....I don't even know what to say to you. The level of ridiculousness is really that high.
    Yeah, with all due respect, Unitas isn't even in this conversation. Unitas was/is the QB gold standard everyone else was compared to.
    "Give Pees a chance, again", and 50 points in a 50 minute game .





  3. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    28,155
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    this was way before my time, way before I even became a Ravens fan, but from what my dad told me Bert was the man back in the day.





  4. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    28,723
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    #FearTheMallett
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  5. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    28,155
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    #FearTheMallett
    lol that release





  6. #42

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Just my two cents.... When talking about playoff wins the competition also needs to be discussed. Bert was up against some of the best/dirtiest teams in NFL history. The steelers and Oakland took delight in injuring players and the "can't touch me cause I'm a QB" rules didn't apply. I'm hesitant to say what I think about Joe facing the teams that Bert faced. What QB today gets their teeth knocked out or is allowed to get speared with the helmet? QBs back then got picked up and slammed on fields that were hard as ice. I saw what Bilicheat saw. He was the best all around passer when healthy. And man could he run with the ball.





  7. Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I really hope you're just trolling with this post. Because if you're serious....I don't....I don't even know what to say to you. The level of ridiculousness is really that high.
    Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

    If he doesnt win, he's still #2





  8. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Just my two cents.... When talking about playoff wins the competition also needs to be discussed. Bert was up against some of the best/dirtiest teams in NFL history. The steelers and Oakland took delight in injuring players and the "can't touch me cause I'm a QB" rules didn't apply. I'm hesitant to say what I think about Joe facing the teams that Bert faced. What QB today gets their teeth knocked out or is allowed to get speared with the helmet? QBs back then got picked up and slammed on fields that were hard as ice. I saw what Bilicheat saw. He was the best all around passer when healthy. And man could he run with the ball.
    IDK man, Bert played before the roid era began. These guys today have freakish strength and speed to go along with size. Joe has taken some shots that I doubt Bert, or many of those guys in his era would have survived. Joe has been very durable, at least up to 2015. He didn't miss a start in 8 1/2 seasons. And considering a couple of those years he was at or near the top in sacks says plenty about how tough Joe is.

    Don't get me wrong, I was, and am still a huge B Jones fan. He had 3 damn good years. After the shoulder injury though, he was not the same QB.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!





  9. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,658

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

    If he doesnt win, he's still #2
    Well, Unitas won two championships, back to back, in 58 and 59.
    And was league MVP a number of times, while also leading the league several times in either passing yards or touchdown passes and sometimes both.
    I can't help that I am invisible...





  10. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    3,042

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

    If he doesnt win, he's still #2
    Unitas won two championships ('58 & '59), plus was a contributor to the 1970 SB winning team. He redefined the game, and ran a passing offense before passing offenses were in vogue. He was a trendsetter, and truly ahead of his time. He's one of the best to ever play the damn game. I'm a big fan of Joe, and I think that people that sell him short do so without fairly considering all of the facts. But to say that Joe is even close to the player Johnny U was is just mind bogglingly silly, whether he wins another SB (or several more) or not. I dunno how old you are, but I'm 41. Johnny U was done playing before I was born, so maybe if you're younger than me your opinion is influenced by ignorance of the facts. I dunno. But I suggest you do some research. Johnny U was Peyton Manning before there was Peyton Manning, only Johnny U led the Colts to multiple championships. Actually a better Comp is probably Tom Brady. Johnny U was the Tom Brady of his era.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...






  11. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Unitas won two championships ('58 & '59), plus was a contributor to the 1970 SB winning team. He redefined the game, and ran a passing offense before passing offenses were in vogue. He was a trendsetter, and truly ahead of his time. He's one of the best to ever play the damn game. I'm a big fan of Joe, and I think that people that sell him short do so without fairly considering all of the facts. But to say that Joe is even close to the player Johnny U was is just mind bogglingly silly, whether he wins another SB (or several more) or not. I dunno how old you are, but I'm 41. Johnny U was done playing before I was born, so maybe if you're younger than me your opinion is influenced by ignorance of the facts. I dunno. But I suggest you do some research. Johnny U was Peyton Manning before there was Peyton Manning, only Johnny U led the Colts to multiple championships. Actually a better Comp is probably Tom Brady. Johnny U was the Tom Brady of his era.
    Yup. Unitas stays #1 in my book, unless Flacco has some truly, truly great seasons ahead of him. It'd take more than just a 2nd Super Bowl, that's for sure. Oh, Joe may well eclipse some of Unitas' records by playing several more years - in particular I think he'll surpass Johnny U's career yardage mark of 40,239 yards. But getting to 40,000 yards ain't what it used to be - consider that freakin' Andy Dalton is already more than halfway to that milestone. It was a lot harder in Unitas' day. The offensive style was less pass-friendly, the defenses were allowed to actually play, and annual schedules were only 12 game schedules vs. the modern era's 16 games.

    EDIT: Schedules were 12 games until 1961, then 14 games for the balance of Unitas' career. In any case fewer annual games than the modern schedule.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 07-11-2017 at 02:01 PM.





  12. #48

    Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Flacco with 2 Superbowl MVPs > Unitas . If Flacco wins another ring, he's baltimores GOAT. Thats not a troll, thats a fact.

    If he doesn't win, he's still #2
    Huh?

    No offense, but: that's one of the most absurd statements I've ever seen posted in the 18 (?) year history of this and predecessor message boards!

    Unitas was the gold standard of NFL QBs for decades. I believe that, even today, most sportswriters would put him up there with Brady & Montana, maybe Elway.

    I love what Joe has done for this franchise, and praise him for his performance in the 2012 playoffs, but, honestly, he's not on the same planet as the great Johnny U.

    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland