Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

I don't know who's better, but Bert was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Bill Belichick will occasionally mention Bert Jones when he talks about who was the greatest passer in the NFL. That's good enough for me.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200802020150
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Bert Jones was the better talent, but Joe has had the better career.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Bill Belichick will occasionally mention Bert Jones when he talks about who was the greatest passer in the NFL. That's good enough for me.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200802020150
    Belechick used to be Bert's ball boy back in the day. lol! Seriously though, Bert certainly generated allot of excitement in Baltimore when he took over for Domres. They were calling him "The Franchise". He had a big arm and an attitude to match. It's a shame he injured his shoulder. He really never was the same QB after that.

It's really too early IMO, to run this poll. As of right now Joe gets the nod from me, but I would like to reserve the right to change my vote after Joe has retired.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Do other cities mix their franchises? Just curious, I don't know a whole lot about the old Colts teams.

LA will have a few choices given how many teams have been and will be passing through there...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Do other cities mix their franchises? Just curious, I don't know a whole lot about the old Colts teams.

LA will have a few choices given how many teams have been and will be passing through there...
    Yeah, that's always tough for me. I'm not an old-timer, but not that young either. I was 10 when the Colts left and was too busy trying to go to memorial Stadium with my grand-dad to catch an Orioles game whenever the chance arose. It's just always been hard for me to wholeheartedly claim the Colts. I know Johnny U because every football fan is required to. I really wish the NFL at the time would have forced Irsay to do what they forced Modell to do and leave the names and records and colors behind. I would love to feel like a die hard Colts fan but I honestly feel no connection to that team or it's records.

waiting for ex's novel...

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    waiting for ex's novel...
    ...at which point some of us will stop reading the thread.

In the 1970s, we saw the best overall quarterback play in NFL history. The best passer in the middle of that era was Bert Jones. If the not the best passer, right up there with Stabler, Staubach & Tarkenton. 1976's NFL Most Valuable Player.

Joe has been in the 2nd tier among a group of fairly average QBs of the 21st Century (unless named Brady or Manning). Joe had a great run in 2011 and 2012, including perhaps the best playoff run by a QB in NFL history and the 2012 Super Bowl MVP award. But except for that amazing 2012 playoff run, Joe Flacco hasn't caught up to Bert Jones' three year peak.

Bert Jones was our 2nd greatest QB and belongs on the Colts' Mt. Rushmore along with Johnny Unitas, Gino Marchetti, and Jim Parker.

Joe Flacco was our 3rd greatest QB and belongs on the Ravens' Mt. Rushmore along with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Jon Ogden.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    In the 1970s, we saw the best overall quarterback play in NFL history.
    The 80s called. Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Kenny Anderson would like to have a word.

Also Joe Theisman, Neil Lomax, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly, Danny White and Bernie Kosar would like to get a word in edgewise; but that first group keeps hogging the phone.

Blog Entries

I would have to go with Bert, based on what my elders have told me about him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

The 80s called. Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Kenny Anderson would like to have a word.

Also Joe Theisman, Neil Lomax, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly, Danny White and Bernie Kosar would like to get a word in edgewise; but that first group keeps hogging the phone.
    Elway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk