Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Projected 2017 Depth Chart - Pre-Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    But everyone is so worried about Mangolds health. I don't get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, health + price tag (which is supposedly quite high) + the fact that he's clearly a declining player. At best, I think he'd be similar to Matt Birk when he got here... a decent, maybe above average player, who isn't really as good as the best guys at his position anymore but looks a lot better than the last few guys we've had there.

With Mangold, I think there's a lot of moving parts. I think he's probably being unrealistic with his asking price, I don't think he's healthy enough that he would even have been participating in OTAs, and its possible he's just taking a Boldin-like approach, where he's not going to sign anywhere until at least mid-to-late July so he can avoid all the offseason programs except for training camp. Heck, he may not sign until well into training camp to avoid that all together anyway.

We know the only thing that really matters to these older veteran players is cleaning the cob webs off, getting in shape, and getting fully healthy. Training camp doesn't offer them much more than that.

Even with a position like Center, I don't think it would take Mangold and Joe months to get in sync.

Am I the only one would rather see us sign a veteran RT and start Jensen at Center, vs signings Mangold and having Hurst or whatever the hell else wins that job?

Maybe I like Jensen more than most. Not a special player by any stretch, but just think he could probably be as good as Zuttah.

I mean obviously we're downgrading from Wagner regardless, but if he were still here, a Stanley/Lewis/Zuttah/Yanda/Wagner line looked fine to me. Not a top 5 line, but probably top half of the league.

So if we think Jensen could be as good as Zuttah, then when healthy, the only dropoff would be at RT, which I think you can recover from.

Blog Entries

If Maxx is on IR in 2017 that's just depressing

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Am I the only one would rather see us sign a veteran RT and start Jensen at Center, vs signings Mangold and having Hurst or whatever the hell else wins that job?

Maybe I like Jensen more than most. Not a special player by any stretch, but just think he could probably be as good as Zuttah.

I mean obviously we're downgrading from Wagner regardless, but if he were still here, a Stanley/Lewis/Zuttah/Yanda/Wagner line looked fine to me. Not a top 5 line, but probably top half of the league.

So if we think Jensen could be as good as Zuttah, then when healthy, the only dropoff would be at RT, which I think you can recover from.
    This is exactly what I've been predicting for late in the year, maybe even after cuts begin. I still maintain the RT is not on the current roster. But for now they have to roll with what they have

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post

I think Mangold is miles ahead of Zuttah. I'd much rather have a solid interior then a mediocre RT (that's all that's out there) and a bad center. I'd much rather see a pocket that Joe can climb up into then a center driven back into his lap. I think Jensen is bad.

Blog Entries

I think a Stanley Goose deuce/Jensen/Urshal Mangold Yanda Lewis is the best line combo they can come up with. It's ashame because I think a Stanley Lewis Mangold Yanda Wagner would have been a top 5 line with a deep run into the playoffs possible Super Bowl. I'm sure they could have replaced Williams easier then they will replace Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I think a Stanley Goose deuce/Jensen/Urshal Mangold Yanda Lewis is the best line combo they can come up with. It's ashame because I think a Stanley Lewis Mangold Yanda Wagner would have been a top 5 line with a deep run into the playoffs possible Super Bowl. I'm sure they could have replaced Williams easier then they will replace Wagner

I think they'll replace Wagner in the short-term. I just think it was a bit unreasonable for us to expect to replace him this season, especially with all the other holes that we needed to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    If Maxx is on IR in 2017 that's just depressing

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    He tripped in the parking lot.

Count me in the group that thinks a RT or even any T is the biggest line need now. The team might struggle to find the right guy at center, but the line will fall apart (as presently constructed) if Stanley is injured.

I don't think Lewis is the answer at tackle, although he'd be quite a bit more valuable there to the 2017 Ravens. Here's how I scored it in 2016 with separate charts for his play at guard and tackle.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2016/...e-grades-game/

Jensen has not been great (nor terrible) in what we've seen so far, but I thought he had clearly earned the right for a trial at center last season. The additional weight and reduced body fat noted by Harbaugh are a tipping point for me, given the weakness Ravens centers have had anchoring the past 2 seasons and current set of AFCN interior DL opponents.

Urschel wasn't bad last year, but I don't believe he has the same strength or ability to anchor as Jensen. Urschel got a 7-game trial at center in 2015 and it didn't go well:

http://russellstreetreport.com/films...-by-game-2015/

We are 2 years removed from that underwhelming stint, but the information is still the most pertinent in terms of how he could play center. I want to believe he can be the line general, because he certainly has the ability to grasp the playbook, but he needs to produce personally as well. IMO, the Ravens line will be best if he is a backup.

With regard to available FAs anywhere on the OL, I encourage Ravens fans to temper expectations. The litany of failed and aging OL FAs signed by the Ravens is long and only Matt Birk (I could also say the 1 year from Willie Anderson was exceptional) was a resounding success. In case you've forgotten, let's review:
    --Erik Williams (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro before his 5 games/0 starts for the Ravens)
    --5x Pro Bowler Andre Gurode who imploded at guard for the Ravens
    --Leon Searcy, who was given a huge contract at age 31 and never played a down for the Ravens
    --AQ Shipley, nuff said
    --Bryant McKinnie (sat out the entire regular season before playoff insertion keyed improvement across the line)

Anyway, with any FA signing that occurs, Mangold or a tackle, we're far more likely to get a dud than a stud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Same. Either Gilmore or Williams will not make the team, or be put on IR again.

Also I expect both Williams AND Pierce to play a lot together on the D-line.

And I don't think both Campanero and Reynolds make the team.

And the aforementioned Lewis-G, Hurst-RT thing.
    And in the 200+ (282 IIRC) snaps they played together, Pierce was the NT not BWill

I'd put a UDFA rookie somewhere, we have a streak over a decade ... this year just might be WR/KR/PR, and LaQuan made it in the past ... bur we won't have ant feel until contact starts ... I want to see what we have in Mizzell
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Count me in the group that thinks a RT or even any T is the biggest line need now. The team might struggle to find the right guy at center, but the line will fall apart (as presently constructed) if Stanley is injured.

With regard to available FAs anywhere on the OL, I encourage Ravens fans to temper expectations. The litany of failed and aging OL FAs signed by the Ravens is long and only Matt Birk (I could also say the 1 year from Willie Anderson was exceptional) was a resounding success. In case you've forgotten, let's review:
    --Erik Williams (5x Pro Bowl, 2x All Pro before his 5 games/0 starts for the Ravens)
    --5x Pro Bowler Andre Gurode who imploded at guard for the Ravens
    --Leon Searcy, who was given a huge contract at age 31 and never played a down for the Ravens
    --AQ Shipley, nuff said
    --Bryant McKinnie (sat out the entire regular season before playoff insertion keyed improvement across the line)

Anyway, with any FA signing that occurs, Mangold or a tackle, we're far more likely to get a dud than a stud.
    IIRC Gurode was the same year we signed and rapidly got rid of Mark LeVoir (released Oct 18th)
    Bobby Williams wasn't bad for a year
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

see even Film think we need a RT asap!