Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: "31-33" since 2012

bt is correct. Ozzie has done a good job remaking the old team which won the SB. Not Flacco's contract, but four unforeseen disasters really set us back:

Ray Rice
    Dennis Pitta
    Will Hill
    Eugene Monroe

If any two of those disasters don't happen, we would have performed markedly better and would be stronger now.

In spite of the ongoing rebuild, we nearly made the SB in 2014. We had disastrous injuries in 2015. As bt pointed out, Flacco's cap hit from 2013-2016 had little to do with our problems.

We have a good roster which may become a very strong team in 2017.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    bt is correct. Ozzie has done a good job remaking the old team which won the SB. Not Flacco's contract, but four unforeseen disasters really set us back:

Ray Rice
    Dennis Pitta
    Will Hill
    Eugene Monroe

If any two of those disasters don't happen, we would have performed markedly better and would be stronger now.

In spite of the ongoing rebuild, we nearly made the SB in 2014. We had disastrous injuries in 2015. As bt pointed out, Flacco's cap hit from 2013-2016 had little to do with our problems.

We have a good roster which may become a very strong team in 2017.
    I agree but I can't consider Will Hill a disaster, pretty much everyone knew he was a ticking time bomb. The Ravens got the most out of him they could, but his career ended predictably.

Blog Entries

BT is right and GOTA added to it. Ozzie signs who he wants to sign. He knows what guys are going to get on the market. Ozzie has his price. It's all about who he values.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    NE chose not to pay Collins or Jones.

AZ chose not to pay Jefferson.

Just a few examples.

Free agency wouldn't exist if teams could retain everyone

I'm saying at least from 2013-2015, cap hits of $6.8, $14.8 and $14.55 had little impact on team building and the record
    Yeah, that's why I specifically said we wouldn't have retained everyone.

In terms of the 2013 and 2014 teams, I agree that his contract had little (actually, none) impact. IMO, 2015 is when his contract started having ang impact. I realize his cap number was still pretty low in 2015, but they certainly had his future cap numbers in mind when they chose to let Torrey and McPhee go after the 2014 season.

It was apparent after 2012 that the defense was due for a step back. The defense had been mediocre that year and all the star players from the 2011 defense (Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, Webb) were all either gone, old or coming off injury.

I thought the 2012 playoffs offense was a sign of what to come, but holy crap were we hit hard by bad luck after that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    It was apparent after 2012 that the defense was due for a step back. The defense had been mediocre that year and all the star players from the 2011 defense (Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, Webb) were all either gone, old or coming off injury.

I thought the 2012 playoffs offense was a sign of what to come, but holy crap were we hit hard by bad luck after that.
    Getting rid of Bolding wasn't bad luck. It was bad judgement. It's still stunning that Ozzie would screw up an offense that was completely humming in the playoffs.

Blog Entries

As many issues as the offense had in 2013, with Boldin, they would have still made the playoffs.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

8. Re: "31-33" since 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Getting rid of Bolding wasn't bad luck. It was bad judgement. It's still stunning that Ozzie would screw up an offense that was completely humming in the playoffs.
    Don't forget that with that #199 they got for Boldin, they were able to trade the #62, #165, and #199 to move up to #56 and draft Arthur Brown. "Bad judgement" and "stunning" might really be putting it lightly for a sequence that lost the team's best pass-catcher, only saved a few mill, and ended up with Arthur Brown.

In terms of the 2013 and 2014 teams, I agree that his contract had little (actually, none) impact. IMO, 2015 is when his contract started having ang impact. I realize his cap number was still pretty low in 2015, but they certainly had his future cap numbers in mind when they chose to let Torrey and McPhee go after the 2014 season.
    They offered Torrey a contract though. Ozzie clearly thought the 49ers overpaid.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    They offered Torrey a contract though. Ozzie clearly thought the 49ers overpaid.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Which they did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section146 View Post
    Don't forget that with that #199 they got for Boldin, they were able to trade the #62, #165, and #199 to move up to #56 and draft Arthur Brown. "Bad judgement" and "stunning" might really be putting it lightly for a sequence that lost the team's best pass-catcher, only saved a few mill, and ended up with Arthur Brown.
    Please don't remind me. I got pissed all over again.

They didnt choose to let torrey go. He went elsewhere for an extra mil or two and washed out.