Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Projected starting CB's

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Regarding Boykin, I don't think he'll make the team. He certainly was a good player in 2012-2013 but that was a lifetime ago in football years. Pittsburgh found that out when they signed him in 2014. They sent a 5th rounder to Philly but by the season opener he was #5 on the depth chart. They made no effort to resign him and he couldn't even make the Panthers last year, the Bears signed him and immediately put him on IR. He didn't get a whiff of interest in FA.

Pittsburgh apparently thought he had a degenerative condition in his hip. All together, he could still be a contributor, but I think the odds are against it.

What I think they might end up doing is keeping Canady as the #3 corner, but playing Webb in the slot... maybe you call that a "big nickel" or 3 safety look.
    If Tavon didn't get hurt I'd agree with you. However, now the Ravens can keep Boykin as our #5 CB too. I'm sure he isn't making much $, but does have experience... Bc

Someone remind me.....did CMAC start right away on defense? By Week 1? Hmmm.....

Man, this thread/op just makes me smh.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Rookies like C.J. Mosley and Ronnie Stanley are exceptions. Most of them aren't Year One starters, let alone Day One starters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    very true G, LSU is another one too that is putting a lot of players into the NFL. Man what happened to Texas? and the U as well?
    I think it's coaching and the way the programs are run. Look at a team like Boise State. For a decade they've been putting quality players into the NFL. Not so many stars but a whole bunch of solid players that keep getting significant snaps on NFL rosters. It's very impressive given their size and location. Chris Peterson has a real knack for taking some very raw talented players and turning them into guys who can succeed in the pros. Mack Brown at Texas was the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    A 1st round pick has to be a day 1 starter or he's a miss? That's ridiculous. Terrell Suggs wasn't a day 1 starter and he was a top 10 pick. Was Suggs a miss?
    He was the most Sizzliness miss of any 1st rd pick.

So many of you have already stated the obvious, but I'm not averse to piling on.

I wasn't thrilled with the selection of Humphrey mid way through the first round, but the notion that somehow the pick is a miss if he doesn't start Day 1 is absurd. Equally absurd is the use of the word "project". That label is usually reserved for guys drafted on Day 3.

I never get to see these threads in a timely manner. I have a full time job and i'm back in college, i do this to give myself a break. Heck i'm married with two kids as well.
    I have stated that I think Humphrey plays first game, even maybe start. But if he doesn't I consider that a good thing because Carr is doing well. But to claim he's a bust? Get a grip...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I dont agree with that - especially for corners. That's arguably the toughest position to play in the league after QB. Very few corners, regardless of draft position, make a huge impact in year 1.
    I would say Safety or MLB is tougher due to you having to know where everyone one is and make all the adjustments.

Canady is one of the intriguing players in the secondary.

He might be the front runner for SCB, but Webb or Boykin both have significantly more experience there and more obviously appropriate physiques.

At 6'2", 193, Canady isn't built for the nickel, but given the ball skills he has demonstrated in OTAs, he could be both a backup outside CB and another good option as the cover-2 safety in dime packages necessary if the team needs if Jefferson is to cover TEs or move up in the box on passing downs. Canady played some safety last preseason, which I thought was a positive indication of versatility.

As to Humphrey, I don't see the value in trying to make your first-round CB play a position that he's not used to. I just hope Humphrey will win the job in camp. The Ravens shouldn't consider Carr's salary in determining who the starter is, even if outside CB3 is a 6 million dollar man. There is additional pressure to getting Humphrey on the field ASAP. The Ravens are very short on ball skills for the defense as a whole, particularly after the loss of Tavon Young. Mosley, Smith, and Weddle plus Webb (at SCB or S) currebtly make up the bulk of the ball skills. Swapping Humphrey in for Carr would be a significant upgrade there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    I would say Safety or MLB is tougher due to you having to know where everyone one is and make all the adjustments.
    I thought Safety was where you go after you can't play CB anymore... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post

He might be the front runner for SCB, but Webb or Boykin both have significantly more experience there and more obviously appropriate physiques.

At 6'2", 193, Canady isn't built for the nickel, but given the ball skills he has demonstrated in OTAs, he could be both a backup outside CB and another good option as the cover-2 safety in dime packages necessary if the team needs if Jefferson is to cover TEs or move up in the box on passing downs. Canady played some safety last preseason, which I thought was a positive indication of versatility.

As to Humphrey, I don't see the value in trying to make your first-round CB play a position that he's not used to. I just hope Humphrey will win the job in camp. The Ravens shouldn't consider Carr's salary in determining who the starter is, even if outside CB3 is a 6 million dollar man. There is additional pressure to getting Humphrey on the field ASAP. The Ravens are very short on ball skills for the defense as a whole, particularly after the loss of Tavon Young. Mosley, Smith, and Weddle plus Webb (at SCB or S) currebtly make up the bulk of the ball skills. Swapping Humphrey in for Carr would be a significant upgrade there.
    IIRC, CAnady had a VERY good Jr season, but unaccountably was poor-mediocre his senior year. Let's hope we get the "Jr" Canady!
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post

I'm curious as to why Canady's size isn't a fit in the nickel defensively but Boldin and Decker's size don't prohibit them offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill