Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will the Offense Look Any Different?

Now that Billick is in charge of the playcalling for the first time since the late 90s, here's a question -- will the offense actually look any different? It seems like a lot of us, maybe most of us, don't think so. When Fassel was let go, I read a lot of "It's still Billick's offense, it won't be any different."

Well, I don't pretend to know, but I'm hopeful that the offense will look a little different, at least in terms of the playcalling. If the rumors about Fassel not putting in a lot of hours are true, then I think that Billick will have spent a lot more time in specific game-planning than Fassel did. And he's had two weeks to do it, thanks to the bye. So hopefully the offense might be more likely to attack the Saints' defense weaknesses than under Fassel.

I think it will be interesting to watch.

Re: Will the Offense Look Any Different?

I don't see our offense changing dramatically at all. The modus operandi should still be to pound the rock, as that is who we are and how we are built. What I do hope to see is better execution of plays by the offensive personnel. The apparent lack of effort put in by Fassel with the players in taking them through certain plays and schemes, if true, would certainly explain a lot of our lack of productivity thus far.

Hopefully we'll simply become more effective at what we've always tried to do - control the clock with the ground game and operate an efficient passing game.

No, I'm not expecting to see anything much different. I think I've read several offensive players comment that they aren't changing much. That being the case, I have to wonder why the change was made. I must admit I was hoping for a change from Jamal and his one yard in a cloud of dust.

I'll go on record as saying that the offense is going to take a SIGNIFICANT step up due to Billick taking over -- minimum of 25% points more a game if not more. We end up being in the middle tier of offenses -- can't get in the upper tier with this o-line. Major cause is execution and Billick being willing to do what it takes -- read bench Jamal if he doesn't produce.

I think everyone underestimates Billick and we'll see the difference starting this Sunday .

I think the difference with Billick directly behind the controls will be our propensity to go for the deep pass at unpredictable moments, not necessarily dictated by down and distance...Jamal WILL have a big day as well, IMHO...

The end around will be back. I also look for them to get the ball into Claytons hands more and let him make stuff happen. Yes BB will go vertical, I just hope McNoodle can throw it that far without floating it.

I actually do. He's apparently simpling things down. And also spending more time with the offense than he ever has, since being here in Baltimore. He did something right in Minnesota, but hasn't had near that sort of control hear in Baltimore... ever. Obviously that was his choice, but nonetheless, it's true.

Also, the players are excited, and have this "new beginning" about them. Whether there's reason behind the excitement, or not, they already have a mental edge over what they had just a few weeks ago.

So again, Billick is obviously spending much more time going over this offense with them, and with the talent on that side of the ball, I do expect results. It might not be IMMEDIATE, but i would expect it within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I don't know if the offense will change but there has been plenty that Fassel has tinkered with. The offense is not the same as Cavanaugh's offense. He added back the pre-snap motion, he went away with the FB, installing the H back, zone blocking schemes (I don't know if Fassel or if Foerster changed but changed noneoftheless). I believe he moved Jamal up from 7yds to 5yds in the backfield. I alot has changed since he has been here.

The question will be what does Billick do with these plays. Will he revert back to Cavanaughs offensive game plans/sets or will he keep the same plays that Fassel ran but call it differently. It's going to be interesting regardless.

I hope that Billick hits the nail on the head and focus on our strengths. I am dissappointed that we have gone a little away from trying to get Clayton the ball like we did at the end of last year. It was fun watching the offense and I hope we get back to it. Also, if Jamal is gonna be the feature back let him have his FB if it is gonna improve his performance.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    . I believe he moved Jamal up from 7yds to 5yds in the backfield.

Also, if Jamal is gonna be the feature back let him have his FB if it is gonna improve his performance.
    That first part makes me very curious. Is it true? If so, change it back, Jamal needs a head of steam and a hole that's already open. As well I agree we need to see Mughelli in their pounding away at LB's to give Jamal a little more clearance.

What is the one constant in Baltimore's offense over the last 7 years of ineptitude?

If you can answer that question truthfully, then you might be closer to answering the question of "Will the offense look any different?"

I hope Merlin is right. I hear a lot of 'it can't possibly get worse', which unfortunately is true. I'm sorry Jamal is unhappy, but Billick's going to have to put Musa in soon.
    question; was hiring Fassel a mistake in the first place???

The offense will look different if these players go out and execute the plays.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!