Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

I'm at least glad Correa didn't push accountability for his dismal first year on to anyone else. Just said, in effect, " I was awful. I didn't get it and I didn't know what I didn't know." They say that the first step towards recovery is acknowledging there's a problem. Let's hope he takes the next step successfully soon because he has physical tools the other options don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And my big question is about the process to weed out those who are light in the attic. When they are scouting these guys for the draft do they screen the mental aspect by any questions/testing ? How much do they ask the coaches that worked with a player ? And if there are so many wind tunnels above the shoulders, why is the screening process not challenged ? And if in fact Pees' system is too complicated for young minds, then why keep the system ?

In my career I have hired more secretaries with no legal experience but who seemed to be capable of learning. There was a curve involved that required patience, but more often than not it worked. I had to have a process that let them learn, but they brought the tools with them. If the Ravens see talent and figure it can be molded to the NFL/system in place, then there has to be evidence that the guy is mentally able to work through it. If you say that he cannot grasp the system, then the scouting was flawed or the attempt to adapt a mentally-challenged player to a system they are unable to understand is flawed - or maybe both.

Oh wait, they come from college ....
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    And my big question is about the process to weed out those who are light in the attic. ....
    +1. All my reactions, too. I thought they interviewed players they took in high rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    GOTA asked the big question. To add to it, why expand his role so quickly? Suggs spent his entire rookie season just rushing the passer.
    The obvious answer is because he wasn't good rushing the passer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    That just doesn't make sense to me. They have him playing snaps at ILB during the rookie camp. You can't tell me 2 practices without pads is enough to say he's not good enough.

He looked like he lacked play strength when rushing the passer. He didn't look like he lacked the instincts. A year in an NFL weight room can do wonders for a guy like that.

TBH - I do see an Art Brown situation, but only becuase I think he's ap ass rusher being asked ot play ILB.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    True, but a high (2nd round) draft choice should be able to contribute something in his rookie season, while still developing. A team only has control for four years. When one is virtually wasted, as was the case with Correa, it's almost like starting back at square 1... Bc
    Correa had a total of 236 snaps . 188 of that was on special teams and 48 of that was on defense. It's not like the guy was doing nothing most of the year so he was contributing. He may have had 4 tackles but he had 1 pass deflection that was a near interception against The Jags, probably some quarterback hurries, and a force fumble.
    Last edited by Jazz1988; 05-19-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    It's not quite that simple - he was stuck behind Zardarius, Dumerville, Suggs and McClellan (remember, he didn't play special teams to start the season). The more obvious path to playing time was to play ILB where it was Mosley and a few undrafted players.

He, admittedly, struggled to get the playbook, while learning a new position, while learning a new defense methodology (3-4), while adjusting to the NFL.

He looked, at times, to be slow to the ball and a little too "light in the ass" - so I'll give him a year in the weight room, with more motivation, and a clearer purpose, before calling him the next Art Brown - who was a significantly gifted athlete with too much head space.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Correa had a total of 236 snaps . 188 of that was on special teams and 48 of that was on defense. It's not like the guy was doing nothing most of the year so he was contributing. He may have had 4 tackles but he had 1 pass deflection that was a near interception against The Jags, probably some quarterback hurries, and a force fumble.
    Any time he rushed the passer he got laid out on his ass

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    That just doesn't make sense to me. They have him playing snaps at ILB during the rookie camp. You can't tell me 2 practices without pads is enough to say he's not good enough.

He looked like he lacked play strength when rushing the passer. He didn't look like he lacked the instincts. A year in an NFL weight room can do wonders for a guy like that.

TBH - I do see an Art Brown situation, but only becuase I think he's ap ass rusher being asked ot play ILB.
    How many chances would you give him during a game to say he wasn't good enough. I'm not sure about you, GWR, but some posters see a player make one bad play and brand them for life. But for NFL coaches, if you see a guy who can't hold up, you don't give too many chances. Still, 3-4 will backers were very often outside rushers in college. They have to do a lot, including rushing from the edge and rushing from blitz and inside, plus hold the edge and drop into coverage. Actually very similar to OLBs because they frequently switch in disguise (assuming they have a truly capable will). First and foremost wills have to be really good at holding up in their gap assignment. Ravens made clear very early that they saw enough versatility to handle a lot to develop him at that position, and it does make sense to me because nothing I have ever seen from Correa says pure edge rusher. What I always saw and like was relentlessness and physicality. He plays with abandon. There's a lot to like, but he isn't bendy enough to be the edge-around rusher and not powerful enough to be a Suggs-like drive a OL back into the QB player either. After what I saw in limited snaps he has a long way to go to be successful. First, he has to get strong enough for the NFL. If he doesn't do that everything is off the table. He is a bust. If he gets strong enough, his first test will be can he succeed in a gap assignment especially when that means taking on and NFL guard. Yanda should make his life interesting this summer. If he can do that - and it's a big if - he might have a chance in the NFL and that means continuing to develop rush moves, dropping into coverage and play recognition.

I think he starts with a leg up on Brown. Brown always looked too weak to me, and nothing even close to Correa's relentlessness. Fast yes, beast no. Not a footballer. Correa looks like a footballer. But he better have studied enough to know what the hell was going on around him and be strong enough to hold up.

Remember, he was getting mauled by TEs. He has to go from that as a starting point to being able to stand up olinemen. He has a tough road to hoe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    I hope you're not seriously saying that Correa contributed much. The numbers you quoted would be OK for a 7th rounder or UDFA, but a 2nd round pick in an area of need? You want productivity, here are three players that Ozzie passed up by trading down :
    1 - Noah Spence (pass rush) = 5.5 sacks, 3 FFs, 2 PDs.
    2 - Sterling Shepard (WR) = 65 catches (105 targets/62%), 683 yds (10.5 avg), 8 TDs.
    3 - Xavien Howard (CB) = 40 tackles, 1 FF, 6 PDs, 1 STF.

... Bc

11. Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    It's not quite that simple - he was stuck behind Zardarius, Dumerville, Suggs and McClellan (remember, he didn't play special teams to start the season). The more obvious path to playing time was to play ILB where it was Mosley and a few undrafted players.

He, admittedly, struggled to get the playbook, while learning a new position, while learning a new defense methodology (3-4), while adjusting to the NFL.

He looked, at times, to be slow to the ball and a little too "light in the ass" - so I'll give him a year in the weight room, with more motivation, and a clearer purpose, before calling him the next Art Brown - who was a significantly gifted athlete with too much head space.
    Which actually does make it simple. If he was stuck behind Smith, McClellan and an aging Suggs then he just wasn't good enough at that position, especially the former two moreso than Suggs. Not going to count Doom who barely played last year.

The fact that he couldn't unseat McClellan at the SAM spot is concerning.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB