Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Designated for Return - x2

I love this. it's been one of the best changes they've made in recent years. Adding another player to the IR return list is great

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rreturn-player

NFL owners likely to approve second IR-return player

NFL owners are set to pass a regulation to give teams more flexibility to teams dealing with injuries.

NFL Network's Judy Battista reported Wednesday that at next week's Spring League Meeting, owners plan to vote on a proposal allowing a second player to come off injured reserve in a season. The proposal is likely to pass, per Battista.

The NFL began allowing teams to bring back one player from IR in 2012. Those players must sit out at least eight weeks. The first few seasons those players needed to be "designated for return" when placed on IR. In 2016, owners adjusted the rule, allowing teams to designate a returning player at the time they bring them back to the roster.

Adding an additional return designation should have plenty of support. Adding another returning player benefits team flexibility and pushes off difficult decisions on potentially shutting down injured players. It also provides hope to players injured in the offseason or early in the year that they will still have a chance to come back.

While the new return rule should get support from outside owner's room, the league will also vote to reduce regular-season overtime from 15 to 10 minutes, which has garnered much more criticism.

Per Battista, owners are expected to approve the proposal that was previously tabled to condense overtime.

Slashing five minutes from the extra period comes with player safety in mind. When the idea was proposed in March, Battista reported the competition committee believed there was a "real disadvantage" for a team playing an entire 15-minute overtime period before having to turn around and play a Thursday night game the following week.

The concern for critics of the proposal is that it will lead to more ties. Per NFL Research, there have been 83 regular season overtime games in the last five season (since the league went away from sudden death), with 22 of them (26.5 percent) lasting 10-plus minutes.

The concerns led to the proposal being tabled. It appears that perhaps some of those anxieties have been calmed over the past several weeks.

Re: Designated for Return - x2

I like this too. We will benefit from it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

3. Re: Designated for Return - x2

If it passes would it take effect this season?

Honestly, I always thought it was dumb to make a guy miss the whole season if placed on IR. They should do it like baseball. Put'em on 3 game IR. If they can come back, great. Otherwise, put 'em on another 3 week IR. If it truly is a season ending injury, than do the season IR.

Not sure why we penalize teams and players for injuries that don't need to last the entire season. This is a step in the right direction.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenspaintball271 View Post
    If it passes would it take effect this season?
    I don't see why not. It's not like it's the middle of the season. No team has been forced to make a decision on this for 2017 yet. There is no reason why is couldn't become effective immediately.

I'm wholly in favor of this. Hard to imagine any teams that would oppose the idea.

Blog Entries

I like the idea :

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jured-reserve/

I'd also like to drop the weekly "inactive" list. If you're paying these guys, then why hold them out due to some archaic rule? Why not let all 53 be "active" for depth or in case of injury?

... Bc

8. Re: Designated for Return - x2

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see why not. It's not like it's the middle of the season. No team has been forced to make a decision on this for 2017 yet. There is no reason why is couldn't become effective immediately.
    True. I honestly was drawing a blank on how the procedure worked. I kept thinking they decided new rules and then they're implemented a year later. Either way hopefully it passes. Could only be a positive for everyone.

This is improvement.
    I don't understand why in football, where likelihood of injury is high, they don't have partial season IR's like baseball.
    The inactive player rule is stupid too. If you are gonna pay a guy anyway, let him play to earn money.

Blog Entries

I agree with esmd. NFL's IR process doesn't really make sense to me. No reason they shouldn't have a 4 game and 8 game IR where the player can return afterward along with a full season IR. I'd like to know the reasoning behind doing it the way they do it. You are penalizing the team and the player for injuries and there's no reason for it. A guy who gets hit with an 8-10 week injury in the first half of the first game of the season shouldn't lose the entire season to IR because the team can't carry him without a replacement for the next two and a half months. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

They do need to limit the total number of slots for any temporary IR measure. Effectively, such slots increase the size of the roster.

Blog Entries

I've been on this bandwagon for a while as some may recall. Why limit the number at all? I assure you, in December there are guys who are on IR but they're at the point that they could return, and their return would improve a team's roster. Look at the list from last year, dozens and dozens of players on IR and some could return, improving the quality of the game.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/2016/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!