Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Alex Lewis at C?

Initially Harbs suggested it as a possibility at the league meetings and I promptly rolled my eyes almost out of my head.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-c00a9a2db640

“He could play left guard, where he’s obviously proven he’s furthest along at. But we could move him to center, we could move him to right tackle and find someone else to play guard. We’ve just got to work our offensive line out, put the best five out there.”

A reporter followed up with Harbaugh about the possibility of Lewis at center. It’s a position he’s never played before, at least in college or the NFL.

“I think he could do it,” Harbaugh said. “We’ll just have to see. That’s what these offseason practices will be for. That will determine that.”
    However, Lewis was on the Ravens' podcast and the topic came up

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/video...5-481bbd1f9509

His Dad was an All-American Center in college and played 9 years in the league at the position.

The new OL coach (D'alessandris) coached his father in the CFL.

His father taught him Tackle sets, Guard sets and Center sets.

His father taught him how to snap from both hands depending on where the DT is shaded (which is something that's apparently uncommon).

While I'm still skeptical of the idea of him being at C, I'm not totally ruling it out now. He'd be the tallest (6'6") and heaviest (315) C in the league with Travis Swanson being the closest at 6'5" 307 but his athleticism and physicality would be just what the doctor ordered.

Stanley-Siragusa-Lewis-Yanda-Nembot/Wesley/Eluemunor is a lot of young and unproven talent but loads of upside at each position (except RG of course).
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 05-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Re: Alex Lewis at C?

Just a great post. Definitely changes how I view the idea.

Blog Entries

Interesting
    We are still under the mantra of best 5 on the field, so until I see a better RT (or LG) I don't see the C move
    DeuceGoose could possibly take over guard, but Lewis/Urschel-Skura looks better than Hurst/Lewis
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Solid reasoning.

Ryan Jensen also played center in high school and has the size to anchor.

Nico Siragusa is known for being a combination blocker, which would be more valuable at guard in the NFL if he is quick enough. However, he will probably be able to both run and pass block at center.

Matt Skura got extra playing time last preseason and has very long arms.

I don't think John Urschel is the right guy, but they have 3 spots to fill (LG, C, RT) and 4 candidates as of now.

This will definitely be the most interesting positional battle in camp this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Interesting
    We are still under the mantra of best 5 on the field, so until I see a better RT (or LG) I don't see the C move
    DeuceGoose could possibly take over guard, but Lewis/Urschel-Skura looks better than Hurst/Lewis
    Anything looks better without Hurst. He is scary to watch play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Interesting
    Rx, I agree with your assessment, but I have a novel idea too : why don't the Ravens draft a Center, yes someone who has already played the position, rather than moving someone who hasn't played it?
    ... Bc

Lewis certainly seems versatile. I'd still probably prefer he move to RT and have Siragusa/Urshel compete for the LG job, leaving C to either a FA signing, Skura, Jensen, or perhaps Urschel if Siragusa can hold down LG. Definitely appears to be time for the young players to step up on the o-line though, in some way, shape, or form.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Rx, I agree with your assessment, but I have a novel idea too : why don't the Ravens draft a Center, yes someone who has already played the position, rather than moving someone who hasn't played it?
    ... Bc
    Because there were only 1 or 2 centers in the draft that were starting caliber right now, and both were off the board before the Ravens were up in the appropriate round?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Lewis certainly seems versatile. I'd still probably prefer he move to RT and have Siragusa/Urshel compete for the LG job, leaving C to either a FA signing, Skura, Jensen, or perhaps Urschel if Siragusa can hold down LG. Definitely appears to be time for the young players to step up on the o-line though, in some way, shape, or form.
    And what's the back up plan if the practice squad guys are not NFL caliber lineman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this topic. A really interesting one.

It seems that Lewis at Center could be a real possibilty. Didn't knew that his Dad was a NFL-Center.. But my guess is, that Lewis is needed to play RT. For RT there are only very unproven guys (Wesley, Nembot, Elu). On the interior line we have at least Jensen and Urschel who have some years under their belt. But right now with D'Alessandris as new OL-coach I wouldn't predict anything. IMO nothing is set in stone. Do we even know that Yanda return to his RG spot or will he maybe stay on LG? What kind of scheme the Line will run? ZBS or Power based? Picking Goose and Elu in the Draft would suggest that we go back to a power-scheme. But who knows..

For me the O-Line will be the most interesting topic in this summer. Because everything seems so uncertain. IMO we have some talent there and it will be interesting how this puzzle will look at the end :)
    I apologize for my (sometimes) weird english. It's not my native language. But I try my best :)

This offensive line is a mess. Who's going to play RT, James Hurst? He must be kept off the field at all costs.

To me, simply due to what you have, Lewis needs to play RT.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    And what's the back up plan if the practice squad guys are not NFL caliber lineman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know what the backup plan is. Sign guys off the street like they did last year with Ducasse.